IFS Lift options

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

IFS Lift options

Postby zukmeista » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:03 pm

OK so I went soft and bought a truck with IFS :oops: (95 Daihatsu Rugger) From factory they are quite nose down so I wound the torsions to level it out. I want to fit 2" lift springs to the rear and lift the front to match. But currently there is only about a 20mm gap at the droop bumpstop at ride height, so can't really lift it more without mods. I haven't found any aftermarket parts eg new upper arms but have seen extended balljoints for other models like the new hiluxes and wondered if that might be an option? Current balljoints appear to be pressed in so can't really make a spacer. And no I don't want to get out the grinder and SAS it... Ok maybe I want to but it's not in the budget ATM :lol:

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Re: IFS Lift options

Postby slidenyo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:55 pm

a lot of the big yank stuff is now ifs,
they space there subframes down in the cheap kits and longarm in the more expensive,
the inherent strength in your setup will be in leaving it fairly close to factory,
I'm sure a front auto locker and a smaller tire will see the same capability $1 for $1,
as you would get from a 2" lift.
having an ifs setup close to topped out sucks they clunk as soon as a wheel lifts and don't do much in the cv's favour,
only speaking from experience with my ln130 surf.
an having followed a standard pajero io on barely at's through porters rd,
I'd have to say lift wasn't the limiting factor it was articulating a wheel off the ground that slowed the wee thing down.
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:16 am

Can't get lockers for Daishitsu's, so might just have to get LSD shimmed for now :( Main reason for lift is that this thing is pretty low for the wheelbase so quite easy to get bellied if I'm not careful. May have to look into making custom upper arms to allow more droop, and a diff drop to save CVs.

Ant
Hard Yaka

Postby Ant » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:43 am

Can get lockers for the Daihatsu. A mate is running front and rear auto lockers in his 1.6 rocky IFS.
Just has a small lift, 31" Symex tyres and lockers. Bloody thing goes everywhere.
Might even have the axles with the lockers coming up for sale but just rumors at the moment.
92 LWB Safari TD42
95 4.5L Cruiser, AKA "Thirsty"

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Auto lockers? Not welded? Haven't been available for a good few years now surprised there's any about in NZ. Not sure if the F300 diffs have similar internals to my F78 but will look into it, Definitely let me know if they come up for sale. :wink:

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:03 pm

the realistic and economic answer but not the answer you want to hear is to sell the thing and buy something with the clearance, entry/departure/rampover angles and articulation you want :D

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:04 pm

Not really economic or realistic as the only sort of truck I would consider an upgrade eg safari, landcruiser, solid axle prado will cost a lot more that what I've spent on this truck and I don't want a 50 million inch lift just 2" will be plenty so I think it's worth coming up with a solution. The only issue is belly clearance, approach and departure angles are great. The coil rear end with LSD more than makes up for the IFS lack of travel compared to the old leaf sprung POS.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:52 am

Just throwing it out there, when I fitted 2" rears on my old Terrano I wound the front up about 1" and trimmed the IFS bump stops in half. That worked fairly well, the CVs coped fine, I was just careful putting power down when flexed on full lock.

Next thing I did was to get chassis clearance was jam some big tyres under it and massage the guards carefully until they worked.

I reckon your on the right track, shim up the LSD, fit your rear springs, bring the front up close with out stuffing up the travel to much and fit the biggest rubber you can with out having to do a B/L.
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:27 pm

^^ x2

Sometimes its good to have a slight rake for handling purposes (ie set the front a bit lower than the rear). Also when you load the back up with gear etc., it will level out a bit.

I wonder if it is possible to lower the front diff slightly on the Daihatsu. I'm not sure how it is bolted in place though.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Was mucking around in the shed yesterday, there is currently about 40mm of droop travel in the front end (measured from guard to rim lip). There isn't any room to trim the bumpstop as it is small and soft (get ya mind out of the gutter!!! :mrgreen: ) and if it was trimmed the mounting bolts would hit the chassis. It would be easy to do a diff drop as there is 3 vertical bolts holding it so would just need some blocks like doing a bodylift. I might just trim the lip of the guards off, bumpstop spacers on the rear and chuck some 235/85R16s on it. Thanks for the tips and ideas, I used to be an IFS hater but they really aren't as bad as people make out. :D

nzlux
Hard Yaka

Postby nzlux » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Come on Harry you know you want to chuck some Toyota or Nissan solid axles under it
Last edited by nzlux on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:01 pm

nzlux wrote:Come on Harry you know you want to check some Toyota or Nissan solid axles under it

Nah not really may swap a solid diff out of the earlier model rugger in sometime in the future but not changing the rear diff so diffs from another make aren't going to happen. Besides despite having aspirations of being an awesome hardcore 4wder I actually do about 90% roadwork and 10% offroad so IFS is probably quite well suited for my needs. :D

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:26 pm

Some pics of front suspension.
Ride height

Max down travel:

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:02 pm

you'll find sway bar disconnects/removal a big help with the front,
stops the wheel under load trying to twist its partner into the same position via the swaybar.
235/85/16's on the mates truck at present they're dynamic mts, great size I reckon still dig like an sat but have enough sidewall to bag out and soak up the bumps
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:18 pm

Sway bar is gone, bushes were flogged and couldn't be bothered getting new ones... :roll: :lol:

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”