LN106 diff questions

Danger
Driver/Navigator

LN106 diff questions

Postby Danger » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:02 pm

Hey guys, just typed a bit of a novel and seems it didn't post so apologys if this turns up twice.

I'm still pretty new to 4wds so any advice is appreciated.

I have an LN106 and I'm starting from the ground up. It has an LSD in the rear and RUF, longer shackles etc etc but done very roughly.

I also have a diffhead out of a V6 Lux with a 4 pinion centre. Are these compatible with LN106 housings etc?

If so, which is stronger and the better option to fit a locker into?

With regards to a locker, would I be better off fitting it to the rear and putting the LSD up front or vice versa?

Thanks in advance

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Re: LN106 diff questions

Postby shortylux » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:09 pm

V6 diff will bolt straight in.

The V6 third housings are considered to be stronger, but you don't really hear of people breaking diff housings anyway. If you were were it std then the v6 diff internals are stronger than your ln diff. How ever a locker changes every thing (strengthwise).

What kind of locker are you putting in? If it's selectable then I'd jam it in the front. If its auto then Probably jam it in the back and move the lsd to the front.

That's my 2c.

tuff lux
Hard Yaka

Postby tuff lux » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:45 am

the v6 houseing are stronger and ment to support the crown wheel alot better

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Postby suzolla » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:26 am

Plus the V6 pinion bearings are much bigger so support the pinion better
Cheers
Tim
www.4wdstuff.co.nz

Have got some v6 master diff rebuild kits if required

Danger
Driver/Navigator

Postby Danger » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:50 am

Thanks guys, are the crowns/pinions interchangeable?

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Danger wrote:If so, which is stronger and the better option to fit a locker into?

Lockers like the lunchbox ones eg lockright,spartan etc require a open diff to install them in, as far as im aware you cant get a lunchbox locker to fit a lsd diff head.

If your rocking standard diesel motor and not huge tyres its very unlikey if a diff setup correctly will fail due to strength in housing how ever as others have said the v6 is the stronger diff, bad setup of back lash and pinion depth will cause catastrophic failure quite easily, if your rebuilding the diffs go solid spacer instead of crush tube more work to setup initailly but much stronger and no maintainance tightning it up later on.

If your unsure what im talking about check out a repair manual and learn how to set backlash so if you get a lunchbox locker you can make sure its correct (it will require a accurate dial gauge as its a very small amount)

This guy has a very good site and is a pro at setting up diffs, with lots of info and pics on how to do it http://www.gearinstalls.com

Danger wrote:With regards to a locker, would I be better off fitting it to the rear and putting the LSD up front or vice versa?

I run lockers both front and rear in my ln106, both spartans. My advice is if its mainly a daily driver and you want factory road handling put the locker up front and lsd rear, you dont knotice a front locker when the hubs and 4wd arent in.

If it is a daily driver but you want the massive increase in traction put lockers front and rear (you have to adjust your driving style slightly but you get used to it and dont mind some extra tyre wear on the rear).

Danger
Driver/Navigator

Postby Danger » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I've built diffs before, not that I enjoy doing it. Never a hilux unit though.

From what you guys have said I think I'll rebuild the 4 pinion carrier (non LSD) with new bearings and an auto locker and slot it in the rear, then throw the rear LSD up front.

Are the crowns/ pinions interchangeable? not sure what ratio the 4pinion head is..

By the way its on 35"s and I'm planning on fitting a CT26 to the 3L.

At the moment I just need to get it movable as I have a million projects on the go.

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:19 pm

Danger wrote:From what you guys have said I think I'll rebuild the 4 pinion carrier (non LSD) with new bearings and an auto locker and slot it in the rear, then throw the rear LSD up front.

I think either or is good, if i only had one i would have it in the front to make it abit nicer on the road (and less tyre wear).

Danger wrote:Are the crowns/ pinions interchangeable? not sure what ratio the 4pinion head is..

Are you meaning, can i move both matched crown and pinion between housings? You can use a 4cyl gear set with a spacer in a V6 , and you can also use a v6 gears in a 4cyl 3rd as far as i know. the v6 pinion has a taller gear head. But you need the correct bearings/spacers to make it fit properly.

some of the carriers are interchangeable see http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/ for some more info.

or do you want to take a pinion from 4cyl and fit it to another v6 crown wheel? no you cant do this as far as i know

Danger wrote:By the way its on 35"s and I'm planning on fitting a CT26 to the 3L.

Providing its setup correctly and good bearings i wouldnt think that would have any issues, look at what the yanks throw at them with there big ass v8's

Danger
Driver/Navigator

Postby Danger » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks for the link. Yes I meant slotting the LN106 crown and pinion into the 6cyl diff housing. Not sure what ratio the cyl stuff is but my 106 diffs are obviously both the same.

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Postby suzolla » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:36 am

My understanding is that a Toyota 4.88 R&P will only go in a 4.88 diff head as the Ring Gear is thinner.
Can not put after market gears in a 4.88 diff head.
Also the lighter diff head has smaller side bearings (ID and OD) than the heavier diff.
Cheers
Tim
http://www.4wdstuff.co.nz

80 Series 1HDT Auto 2" Lift 33's running on Transformer Oil Road Truck
80 Series 1HDT Man Std at the moment, Plans to modify for Off Road

wikid of Oz

Postby wikid of Oz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:36 pm

trucked wrote:
Lockers like the lunchbox ones eg lockright,spartan etc require a open diff to install them in, as far as im aware you cant get a lunchbox locker to fit a lsd diff head.

trucked wrote:I run lockers both front and rear in my ln106, both spartans. My advice is if its mainly a daily driver and you want factory road handling put the locker up front and lsd rear, you dont knotice a front locker when the hubs and 4wd arent in.

Sorry for asking a silly question but I am pretty new to 4WDS. So did you change out your whole rear diff or just the diff head to fit the spartan locker in the rear? I have a factory LSD rear diff in my LN106 and I am looking at throwing a spartan in it.

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:54 pm

wikid of Oz wrote:Sorry for asking a silly question but I am pretty new to 4WDS. So did you change out your whole rear diff or just the diff head to fit the spartan locker in the rear? I have a factory LSD rear diff in my LN106 and I am looking at throwing a spartan in it.

Neither, just the inside spider gears are replaced with the locker components.

See http://www.gearinstalls.com for good examples and pics

Danger
Driver/Navigator

Postby Danger » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:46 pm

Can anyone tell me what way round the cage in the birfields go? The manual says it has a narrow and wide side but both sides appear the same width

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”