longer trailing arms

y60 safari driver
Hard Yaka

longer trailing arms

Postby y60 safari driver » Thu May 08, 2014 9:03 pm

hi all, hoping someone can help me, i have a short wheel base safari with a two inch lift, i know most people say you can get away with not lengthening them but i would prefer to get my springs sitting where they are meant to be. can anyone tell me how much longer they need to be?
thanks all :D

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Re: longer trailing arms

Postby coxsy » Thu May 08, 2014 10:19 pm

with two inch lift you are fine with axle placement.
if you want to go down that line +16mm heavy duty rear arms are for sale on trademe at a good price
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Thu May 08, 2014 11:15 pm

No more than +16mm if you decide to lengthen them AND you don't have to despite what has been said by some 'vendors' on here. Many get by just keeping lowers at standard length and shortening uppers as I have done.
If you decide not to then at least strengthen them, the factory ones are maybe 2.5mm in wall thickness and are pretty weak....have them remade using steam pipe or similar, wayyyy stronger.

Trundle
Hard Yaka

Postby Trundle » Fri May 09, 2014 5:54 am

I wouldnt jump into lengthening them 16mm ,
It is all relivent to a number of things , What you want to do is get yout hands on an angle gauge , i use a starret on they are about $100 but most workshops should have one ,
You want to check your output drive flange angle and have it directly opposing the pinion flange angle ,
If your pinion is on 5 degrees upward and your drive shaft 2 downward you may find its easier to run the gearbox spacers to get them matching ,
As for 50mm lift usually we end up at about 10mm extended on the rear lower arms , We stock the arms 10 and 16mm extended and come with nolothaine bushes etc , Shortening the uppers is also an quick easy fix ,

y60 safari driver
Hard Yaka

Postby y60 safari driver » Fri May 09, 2014 4:07 pm

cheers guys, i plan on making my own, mostly want to do it to make them stronger but will check that angle out. thanks for that. other thing i was looking at was lowering the pan hard mount back to factory height, i have been told that will improve the handling a lot and i am trying to set it up to tow my offroader and want it to be good towing. anyone lowered theirs? thoughts? not keen on an adjustable one, would rather have it in the correct position

Trundle
Hard Yaka

Postby Trundle » Fri May 09, 2014 6:20 pm

I have bulk ammounts of the bushes and the eyes pre cut etc if need be , otherwise you can cut the factory ones up to save money , i checked my notes and 2" were between 10 and 11 mm dependant on spring brands

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Fri May 09, 2014 11:00 pm

How much do you sell just the blank eyes for trundle? Do you know what steel grade they're made out of?
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

Trundle
Hard Yaka

Postby Trundle » Sat May 10, 2014 8:03 am

Hi mate i have them pre cut and lathe prep the internals / face the ends of them they are a thick walled pipe i cant remember the nominal bore though the rear lower arms are also around 6mm walled ,
I have not really sold just the ends but usually sell the complete arms or $400 inc with bushes ,
I also have 40 sets of road safe australia adjustable uppers and fixed lowers due in 5 or so weeks for the same price or $750 for all 4,
If you want just the eyes pm me and well sort something out ,
Cheers
Trundle

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”