FJ 40 power steer and disc brake conversion

Kevin

FJ 40 power steer and disc brake conversion

Postby Kevin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:27 am

Hi out there. Have just registered. I have an 81 BJ 42 (FJ SHAPE) Currently fitting an LS 1 carbyed and auto trans. Anyone have any info on power steer and disc brake conversion on these vehicles.

Cheers

Kevin.

oldblue
Hard Yaka

Re: FJ 40 power steer and disc brake conversion

Postby oldblue » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:16 am

A couple of years ago Peter Munro ( Christchurch ) sold brackets for fitting Hilux P/S boxes to FJ40#. I do have one ( not for sale ) that you could get photo's and measurements from if you have trouble locating one. Just make sure that you beef up the mounting point on the chassis.
"Oldblue" Electric to Manual Hub Conversion's 03 5447586

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:48 pm

front disc brake is a straight bolt up conversion using 60 or 70 series cruiser or hilux parts, you need the swivel housings (has calliper mounts), front hubs, rotors, callipers, backing plates etc, if using hilux stuff try and avoid the early solid rotors and use vented rotors, for rear discs what you use depends on whether you need callipers with handbrakes or not, MR2, Subaru and maxima are a few callipers with hand brakes that have been used successfully, if you have a carden handbrake on the rear of the transfer case you can pretty much use whatever calliper fits the job, if you need to certify the rear brakes you need to find a calliper that will give you full pad contact on the rotor, the Subaru callipers are pretty touch and go but there's shitloads of them out there that have passed certification. :D MR2's seem to be a bit harder to find but they are out there, you may have to muck around with proportioning valves to get the braking biasis right depending on what parts you use :D , for power steering there's about a thousand different ways of going about it but you wont find anything easier and simpler than a 60 or 70 series conversion there's plenty of info on the net but try and search NZ stuff all the US sites are LHD and use Camaro Saginaw boxes and shit like that that isn't as readily available here, falcon, valiant, Toyota crown and other variations of P/S boxes have been used over the years but try and avoid that sort of combination they aren't as strong as the 60/70 series stuff they will work ok on the road but throw some bigger tyres on your truck and give it a good work out off road and you may find some reliability or longevity problems :D shit an carbed ls1 is an odd combination and a lot of mucking around to get all the spark hooked up and timed properly wouldn't it be easier to keep it on the factory injection

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:41 pm

get all the stuff you need off a 60 series cruiser man, braked and steering, best way to go and strong

edit to add: have you got a carb sorted yet? i have a Holley 670 truck avenger off road carb sitting in my shed i can sell if you need one :mrgreen:
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:40 pm

or just fit a complete 70 front diff in same width over all slight mods to the spring purchase as 40 and 70 springs are about 40-50mm different in width
then find either a 70 steering box rear mount pitman arm or 60 steering box front mount pitman arm. sorted

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:37 pm

or throw a set of 60 series running gear under it, better brakes and slightly wider to make it more stable.

i did that to mine in the ever changing mods to my 40's past :mrgreen:
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Tue May 26, 2015 1:57 pm

Have had issues getting back on site.

many thanks for you suggestions much appreciated. Not easy getting 60 series bits. Am after a transfer case but have struggled there too. May import an atlas from Advance adapters US. Can some one tell me what speed my T/case in my truck was originally ? I am considering a two speed Atlas. Anyone have any experience with these.

Also anyone interested I have complete 3b engine, 4sped box and transfer case done 200,000 and still runs like a dream. Want to leave completes as should be easier to sell, the reason I'm after a T/case for my conversion. To LS1 carby question, wanted old school look although have MSD ignition. Motor complete and have had running, have 4L65E to go on behind it. Just need a transfer case. Engine mounts off shelf would be handy too ?

Many Thanks Regards

Kevin.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Tue May 26, 2015 3:09 pm

I have a complete 70 diff here less f.w.hubs plus 60 steering box thats front end sorted.
Pm me if keen.
might even have a tranfur box kicking around as well.
Will need to check first
Imho gab that carb off wopass as well.
You will not regret it when climbing out if a hole and the motors still rtunnin. Try that with a domestic unit

sig
Jeep Jeep

Postby sig » Tue May 26, 2015 6:56 pm

i recently did an LS conversion to kzj70 prado.i used the auto transfer case from the prado ( which is semi divorced )to a 4l60e .Using an adapter plate .worked a treat . may have some photos if i dig deep enough.
FJ40,INJECTED SB 406 CHEV, LOCKER,35 SIMEXS,warn winch , 80seies vx 4.2 24v turbo diesel ,fr and rear lockers 3" exh top mount intercooler, 021 724482

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”