Spring over axle in rear of Isuzu - Legalities?

NB42
Driver/Navigator

Spring over axle in rear of Isuzu - Legalities?

Postby NB42 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi all, I have a 93 Isuzu Mu which will be going for a cert next year, and I want to know how people go about getting a spring over lift certed?
I know the shocks need remounting and driveshaft possibly needs lengthening.. and will add a track rod to get rid of axle tramp.
What else will need considering for this to work?

My springs are sagged significantly at the moment, as mu springs do.. so I plan to keep these and extend the bumpstops to stop them inverting.. but keep the amount of lift down too. Should be able to keep it relatively level with the torsions cranked as someone in aussie did and managed to level it.

Basically any tips/advice/ideas would be great.
Thanks

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Spring over axle in rear of Isuzu - Legalities?

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:35 pm

I did this to my double cab rodeo, fitted a rear axle with disc brakes instead of the rodeo's drum brakes......

I didn't have to move anything as such (i.e. shocks) just made up some new seats on the top of the axle for the springs to sit on and brought some new U bolts etc to suit...from memory i didn't even buy longer shocks.

While i was at it i fitted a new carrier bearing (rodeo being long wheelbase had a longer tail shaft.)
I did have to get a 50mm spacer machined up to space the drive shaft though but that was only a 50 dollar note at taylor engineering in wanganui and took the guy about an hour to machine it up and test fit it...even provided new bolts.

Didn't need a cert for it, but that was at least 10 years ago now.

might be cheaper just to buy some springs for it, being isuzu holden part number should match.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

NB42
Driver/Navigator

Postby NB42 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:47 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:might be cheaper just to buy some springs for it, being isuzu holden part number should match.

Yeah that is another consideration, but at some stage I will need a cert for the 50mm body lift I am putting in soon. If i don't get that certified then i definitely will just purchase lifted springs

Mr Revhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Mr Revhead » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:15 am

Go and talk to the guy doing the cert. He is the one you need to make happy.

TFS Rodeo and Bighorn springs also fit. You could see about a set of LWB Bighorn springs from a wrecker as replacements. Could be a cheap way to gain a few inches.

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”