mechanic to rebuild front diff mid canterbury

uptomynutsinruts
Hard Yaka

mechanic to rebuild front diff mid canterbury

Postby uptomynutsinruts » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for a reasonable mechanic in mid Canterbury to rebuild the swivel hubs in my kzj78. I have the rebuild kit but not the time to do the job, it failed a warrent on the right front hub being loose which was a snapped lower kingpin stud so that will need to be removed and replaced, I have a new genuine one from Toyota.
Does anybody kno w of a mechanic in mid Canterbury who would be able to do the job, and roughly how much it would cost?

Cheers

derk
Hard Yaka

Re: mechanic to rebuild front diff mid canterbury

Postby derk » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:47 pm

you don't need a mechanic to re-kit the front hubs mate anyone can do that in their driveway, expect to pay around 75 bucks an hour plus or minus and there's probably 1/2 a day in it to do both sides plus seals bearings etc so expect around 400-500 plus gst :D

uptomynutsinruts
Hard Yaka

Postby uptomynutsinruts » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Done it once before and remember it being an arse of a job, hard to get motivated to do it haha but I suppose it will be cheaper. Anyone know where to get an ezy-out to remove the bastard stud that's broken?

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:11 pm

got to watch those bottom studs the twisting of the steering arm starts loosening them then they end up shearing off :D when you've got it all apart unwind all the studs and wind them fully back in nice and tight with Loctite it helps keep them tight, its never the nuts that come loose its always the studs unwinding :D you get ezy-outs from any shop that sells tools or engineering shit but try and avoid top quality ones from places like supercheep they are more likely to break and drill a decent hole in the broken stud so you can use the biggest (strongest :D ) ezy out you can get in there it all gets ugly after you've broken the ezy out in the end of the broken stud :D

uptomynutsinruts
Hard Yaka

Postby uptomynutsinruts » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:39 pm

I was about to ask the loctite question, so I thank you sir. Sweet I shall stay away from the best quality repco super cheap bunnings shit haha

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”