Towing Springs

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Towing Springs

Postby 3VILC » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:04 pm

Has anybody found heavy duty rear coils that are a reasonable compromise between load handling without being too hard riding or too much extra height unloaded? Specifically its a daily driven R50 terrano, only be used occasionally tow the Suzuki around. These ride almost as comfortable as a car normally but are horribly soft in the back, chuck a load in the boot or hook a trailer on and they sit on their ass. So just wondering if anyone's used a brand or type that's a happy medium. Full tow springs sit too high and ride too hard for just occasional towing. Polyairs would be good, but at twice the price of a pair of coils I think not haha
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Re: Towing Springs

Postby mudsurfv6 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:04 pm

surfs are the same.
I've used heavy duty 2 inch lifted King Springs in the back of a 130 before, were a reasonable ride empty, good off road but could put a surf on trailer behind/load up the back and they handled it ok. quite well priced too at the time, can't remember how much. and only had Gabriel shocks.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:34 pm

another option is the poly air bags, inflate when loaded or towing, deflate when empty,

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:44 pm

They would be my choice as well, but he has already said he is to tight to buy them :lol:

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:48 pm

ChurchurDan wrote:They would be my choice as well, but he has already said he is to tight to buy them :lol:

Haha I think I have painted on eyes at times :oops:

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:17 pm

Haha yup they are definitely the best option, was just curious if anyone had found any heavy duty coils they were happy with, mostly don't like that they generally give quite a bit of extra height with no load, not so keen on the hotrod look on a ute lol.
Have a list of crap to buy before WOF anyway so might just stretch the budget to some polyairs anyway. Anyone on here using them? Seem to have plenty of good reviews online. Curious as to why they say not to T the bags together? On a truck up to 8 wheels are all Tee'd together, only difference is the pressure is automatically adjusted by a valve with a similar design to a brake load sensing valve..should be an option for polyairs haha
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Rotazuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Rotazuk » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:34 pm

I would expect it could be something to do with induced roll . If one bag gets compressed the air just goes to the other bag . ie going around a corner outside bag gets compressed and inside bag gets inflated just with vehicle roll .

What size bags fir your truck ? I know someone that had a set in a cruiser , hes selling the truck so may sell the bags off . However I guess its slim chance they would fit , no idea how generic they are .

Cheers
Chris

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Yeah that's what I would've thought too, but then how come my truck is so stable with all the rear bags plumbed together and no form of sway bar? Beats me lol.
Not sure either I pressure the cruiser would be longer and or fatter than a terrano

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Tue May 05, 2015 8:06 am

surely they're t'd front to back not side to side otherwise I'm picturing a whole lot of trucks on there side :oops:
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”