Grinding, rumbling frontend noise

crispo
Driver/Navigator

Grinding, rumbling frontend noise

Postby crispo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:45 pm

Hey guys, spent a while on the forums and not really came up with any thing so thought I would start one to see if anyone has had similar problem.

I have a 1995 ifs Hilux 4x4, just done outer cv joints, inner boots, all four ball joints and put a 1" ball joint spacer in. Aw and all aligned with new torsion bar bolts and nuts.

Everything was great for first few days then the front started to make a grinding grumbling noise. The noise starts only sort of starts after a couple minutes of driving, and really only heard at a low speed like 2-30ish kms.
It's not a constant noise just groans then stops like a rotationion noise. Bloody annoying.
When I lock the hubs I think I'm pretty sure it goes but can still hear a slight groan.

I thought maybe I didn't grease up the bronze bushe enough so pulled the left side apart today and packed it with grease, now I hear you can put to much grease in there and it may cause it to bind.
Still didn't fix it"....... Lol

I jumped under and looked at the cv axles and watched them whilst truck was moved slow, are they suppose to move when hubs free?

Any ideas would be muchly appreciated, everything looks tight and good under there and never used to make the noise since me replacing all the parts? Help please......

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Re: Grinding, rumbling frontend noise

Postby Petemcc » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:54 pm

yip. Take the cvs out and give the shafts a good clean up (emery cloth/sandpaper) where they go through the hub. Clean the bit they go through as much as you can. and then put grease on the shaft.

Had this on mine after a few years of off roading and the crud in there caused the cv shaft to catch and then oscillate in the hub. Weird rumbling noise that stops when you slow down.

Cheers,
Pete

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:59 pm

just re-read that. Have you got manual hubs? This won't happen with manual hubs unless you are in 4wd as the cvs won't be spinning. Not as likely to do it with new cv shafts either but could still be full of crud in there. But the noise sounds exactly like what I had.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:04 pm

from memory the surfs have ADD 4wd which means the front axles etc will turn when in 2wd but will lock when engaged. same with the land crusiers,
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

crispo
Driver/Navigator

Postby crispo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:12 pm

Thanks guys, yea cleaned it al when put the new cv joints on, cleaned old Grease out and replaced with new.

I can turn both cv joints by hand when they are free, and the prob which comes out of the diff.
As I turn the prob only the left cv axle spins the right doesn't.

All this happens when in 2wd, haven't tried 4x4.

Cheers guys ure replies are appreciated

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:from memory the surfs have ADD 4wd which means the front axles etc will turn when in 2wd but will lock when engaged. same with the land crusiers,

yea he said when he locks the hubs it goes away so thought he might have fitted manual hubs. but the last comment suggests not and that drive flanges still fitted.

In this case I would still double check it. To be clear its the outer axle part of the cv that will be binding up where it goes through the hub.

To check, remove the drive flange and see if it stops making the noise (just don't drive to far as you will get crap in there). Quicker than taking the cv out. Was a few years ago since I have worked on an ifs surf so can't remember the quickest way to get them apart.

Cheers,
Pete

crispo
Driver/Navigator

Postby crispo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Hard Yaka it's a ifs frontend so got manual locking hubs. I can get the axle out in bout 20 minutes but bit of a pain in arse.
Would that be ure first place to start?

Is to much grease inside that hub a bad thing? Cheers

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”