Toyota Auto's

wjw
Hard Yaka

Toyota Auto's

Postby wjw » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:43 am

De-Ranged wrote:hmmm what do they come out on....

Theres the A343F and A343H in surfs, F and H denominate different transfer cases, which you aren't interested in. A343F is also in cruisers
The transfer case options dosn't worry me I'll be looking at dual casing it anyway for crawling with G52 transfers (need to use them for the pto access port)

A343F from A cruiser or Prado has the PTO plate on it and is usable if you have the gear!

you don't know what the shaft size and spline count is on the gearbox output to the transfer ?? :lol: I know its a bit obscure I'm still working out how hard its gona be to mate this into what I've got

Off hand no, but I'm picking up another A343 on Wednesday, Hilux one with centre output, transfer case is going into a jeep, main box is going to be a spare for me. The guys who checked out my auto found some 4mm metal shards in the bottom... not good. A343F with history that had done 68,000KM's cost me $320 all up including delivery from Gisborne.

If I haven't replied on here with the spline count by next week remind me. Should be splitting it later in the week when Rick gets back from Hols.

Also if you stick with an A340, make sure it comes from and RZ Supra ie Twin Turbo model. They have stronger valve bodies than the standard ones to handle the extra power. Good to over 400BHP as standard if you believe the US sites.

Cheers,

Bill
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:43 am

Just had a quick google. Found this:

I wouldn't recommend the a43de. That transmission is probably not the best choice since the thing was never built to handle big power. It'd probably work fine since hey, it's a toyota, but I think you'll be much better off with at least the A340E which was built to be behind the 5m, 7m, and 7mgte.

Sounds like its the same as the 2JZ. I would suspect that the following will work:

A340e - Cressida --- use A343F/H or A340...

Bellhousing that came with the 5M, make sure its an auto bellhousing.

Should all bolt up then. The only potential issue, when I was researching the 2JZ was that I may have needed to change the input shaft and oil pump over. The internals on the A34x's are almost identical. Turns out that it was fine. Input shaft was same length and spilne count as the 2JZ.

I had

A343F with 1KZ-TE
A340E with 2JZ-GE

Took bellhousing from 2JZ, Torque Convertor from 1KZ (Both the same but 1KZ in better nic) and the A343F from the Prado... all works a treat... well almost, just need a speed sensor for the ECU, but thats another story
-----------------------

SupraSurf
Hard Yaka

Postby SupraSurf » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:12 am

The A34X's and R15X gearbox's have 23 spline outputs, the older G52 / W56 transfercases have 21 spline inputs.

You can get 23 spline input gears from the US or make a coupler using 1/2 23 spline and 1/2 21 spline with a sleve over the top if you want to go duals.

The 5M auto bellhousing won't fit the A34X auto's you'll have to get a 7M auto bellhousing.

dazza85
Hard Yaka

Postby dazza85 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi Bill,

Am I reading it correctly ... that you can do a mod to the electrics that alows you to select gears manuley ??

I have a '91 surf with the 4 speed Auto

How could I get a copy of the wiring mods to do this ??

Thanks for your time.
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:42 pm

The 5M auto bellhousing won't fit the A34X auto's you'll have to get a 7M auto bellhousing.

:roll: :lol: :lol: remember my work of art bellhousing guess what the motor side was from....

thanks for the heads up mike.... I'll start looking

Cheers Reece

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:50 pm

Good to see some one else from the bay on here

have a look at this post on Pirate its for a plug in box that lets you do what were talking about
Pirate Thread

You might have noticed a mates truck round town Black Surf with "Friday Racing" stickers :roll: likes to drive it with his $imex'$ on
anyway his truck has had the mod

Cheers Reece

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:01 pm

Okay...ready... A343F from Surf:

All the detail re the output shaft to the transfer.

30.52mm diameter to outside of spline tooth

23 teeth

Spline length 22mm

76.8mm from edge of flange to end of output shaft

flange 120mm diameter.
-----------------------

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:29 pm

:shock: :lol: Hey Bill just had a really dumb idea :twisted: whats the length from the front of the bellhousing to the drive flange on the transfer case

Cheers Reece

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:07 am

We've split it now, I'll email Rick and get him to measure the T/C...

Cheers,

Bill
-----------------------

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:41 pm

I think I might be onto something...

A343 auto with manualised controls going into a CF Bedford Van going into a divorce Nissan transfer case

the CF box gear ratios 5.61, 2.97, 1.58, 1.0. Rev 6.0.
Short :D Tough as, these things were built to move big loads
oh and with 4.3 diffs crawl ratio is 175 to 1 :shock: :lol: and I get to run a pto winch :D :D Might look at a cruiser case as they are less reduction than the nissan not like I'd need that much

Cheers Reece

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:55 pm

Blimey.....havent heard back from rick yet :(
-----------------------

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Re: Toyota Auto's

Postby mudsurfv6 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:33 am

wjw wrote:A343F from A cruiser or Prado has the PTO plate on it and is usable if you have the gear!

what cruiser has the A343F? prado would be the kzj? did all the kzj prado A343F trans have a pto plate?

trying to fit up to vzn185 surf with A343F trans, but want a pto.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:43 am

mudsurfv6 wrote:
wjw wrote:A343F from A cruiser or Prado has the PTO plate on it and is usable if you have the gear!

what cruiser has the A343F? prado would be the kzj? did all the kzj prado A343F trans have a pto plate?

trying to fit up to vzn185 surf with A343F trans, but want a pto.

The pto part has to do with the transfer case....
The Early prado's (square ones) in either the 2.4L engine or 3.0 (2LTE, 1KZTE) both sport a 70 series transfer case.
This goes for the auto and manual.
The later Prados with full time 4WD do not have the same transfer case....

All the early Prado's with Auto's use the same A340 style trans...

Now the only issue you will need to watch is the transfer case shaft outputs need to match the surf.. I think the rear of the surf its in the middle whereas the Early Prado (with the 70 series transfer case) has it on the right hand side.

Also the Early Prado transfer cases will need to have the PTO gear and spacer installed.....Never came out as a factory option....
Cheers Calvin
KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado...

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:20 am

kbushnz wrote:Now the only issue you will need to watch is the transfer case shaft outputs need to match the surf.. I think the rear of the surf its in the middle whereas the Early Prado (with the 70 series transfer case) has it on the right hand side.

do any of the prado auto with pto have output in centre? that would bolt up to the surf bellhousing?

or a transfer with centre output that has pto that would bolt up to the surf trans?

or any cruiser transfer that is centre output and pto that could bolt up to surf trans?

or the complete cruiser setup with pto bolt to surf bellhousing?

kbushnz wrote:Also the Early Prado transfer cases will need to have the PTO gear and spacer installed.....Never came out as a factory option....

that could be done when all in truck? or before?
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:31 am

Any A series auto will work with any bellhousing, its just the transferbox that differs.. ie , landcruiser box with xfer are duel drivers side drop with pto on the xfer so you can run one,, the hilux xfers don't have a pto output plat on the xfer..( not totally sure here ) but are centre rear and passengers drop to front.( no good for landcruiser and are also not as strong)
The Autoz came out of a huge amount of vehicles and 4x4s so just need to find a strong one like a 1jzgte or 2jzgte from memory these are factory very strong, or jeep, mitzi, etc etc they just variants of the Asian warn auto. I did a huge amount of research into this when I was getting into my 1uz swap about 10 years ago. There is a post on lextreme that I made that has a list of all or most of the autos compatible with each other.. Help that helps..

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:16 pm

Big wrote:There is a post on lextreme that I made that has a list of all or most of the autos compatible with each other

tried finding it but no luck. search what on the site?

Big wrote: landcruiser box with xfer are duel drivers side drop with pto on the xfer so you can run one,, the hilux xfers don't have a pto output plat on the xfer..

how much are the lc/prado transfers offset? would it be too hard on the drive shaft ujs if it was to cross to centre? standard diff apart from 2" lift.
prado rear diff would solve that problem wouldn't it? can't afford that at mo with trying to sort the SAS.

Big wrote:..( not totally sure here ) but are centre rear and passengers drop to front.( no good for landcruiser and are also not as strong)

185 surf I'm SASing is passenger front but all earlier surfs & hiluxs are drivers front, which is why I'm changing transfer to get drivers front, for prado diff, but was hoping to get pto aswell.

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:40 pm

if you do the Prado transfer case (70 series) best to put the gear and spacer in before you fit it to the truck. As you practically pull it to bits. There is a thread on here with the gear install.

I can measure the off set of the Prado transfer case tomorrow when I get home from work...
Cheers Calvin

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:54 pm

Some Prado's have the same split case that has pto option on passenger side.. drive shafts are drivers side..BUT that is the LJ71,78 and might be KZj series also.. but I know some have the centre rear like hilux's and they wont have a pto option.. Im pretty sure..

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:59 pm

O I forgot to mention I tried to find my post on lextreme and found the one I posted looking for the same list.. :shock: can't find it.. :( but is was like Jeeps, Mitsi, Toyota, Nissan etrc shared the same trans but with different internals and slight gearing changes but essentially the same auto, cut the tail off it and you could mount the transferbox to it no worries..

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:31 pm

Big wrote:but I know some have the centre rear like hilux's and they wont have a pto option.. Im pretty sure..

typical aye! :evil:

kbushnz wrote:best to put the gear and spacer in before you fit it to the truck. As you practically pull it to bits.

ok. will look into it.

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:53 am

can the pto drive get mounted either way? to the front bar OR to the rear for a forwards facing winch.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:59 am

mudsurfv6 wrote:can the pto drive get mounted either way? to the front bar OR to the rear for a forwards facing winch.

Yep just swap the output over

kbushnz
Hard Yaka

Postby kbushnz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:40 pm

mudlva wrote:
mudsurfv6 wrote:can the pto drive get mounted either way? to the front bar OR to the rear for a forwards facing winch.

Yep just swap the output over

Yes you can swap the output over from coming out the front to coming out the rear, however you need to change some spacers over inside the PTO housing to get the gear to sit in the right place. Been there done that....
Or you could find a double output PTO unit, they do exists but are a bit rare...

Here is a thread I did about my mid mount winch in a KZJ78... The first page shows the transfer case and the gear install. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25791
Cheers Calvin

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:23 pm

kbushnz wrote:Here is a thread I did about my mid mount winch in a KZJ78... The first page shows the transfer case and the gear install. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25791

have saved to favourites for quick reference.

hyperlux
Driver/Navigator

Postby hyperlux » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:17 am

Hi Team, Interesting read. Just wondering if anyone could help me out out with the following. I am currently mating up an A340H auto to a Toyota 7MGE for my Hilux, have all of the wiring sorted except the transfer section. Any pointers or info ?

Cheers Brad
HYPERLUX
Attachments
Hyperlux 44gal.jpg
Cheers Brad
HYPERLUX

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:58 pm

I have made one of them work. They are hydraulic shifted so you need the engine running to select 4wd, and there is a solenoid in there that needs to be powered when you move the lever to low range. The range select switch on the side of the transfer case can be used to get it working.

hyperlux
Driver/Navigator

Postby hyperlux » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:19 am

Thanks.
Cheers Brad
HYPERLUX

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”