Sway Bar Disconnect Nissan Safari Y60

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Sway Bar Disconnect Nissan Safari Y60

Postby tuckertrucker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi all, I'm wondering if any one has had trouble with their Rear Sway Bar disconnects Id like to hear about it. I took my trusty wagon down to the local for a wof and it failed on "excessive play in RR swar bar link". Upon inspection, the bushes were to far gone so a new link was needed. But do you think I could find one. After a weeks worth of rigmarol I decided to try ARB who could send the link away to be reconditioned. So this is partly a warning of the trouble that these parts can cause, and also to see if anyone else has had this issue. Also, I would highly recommend not having them removed, for two reasons: certified welding is required to remove them, and theyre pretty handy to have on rough terrain.
Cheers, Dylan.

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Re: Sway Bar Disconnect Nissan Safari Y60

Postby Twodiffs » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Doesn't sound right, a hell of a lot of people remove them without any issues whatsoever.
You get a little more body roll but stiffer springs usually associated with a suspension lift help a lot.
Having them removed on rough terrain actually allows slightly more articulation.

Not sure what you mean by 'certified welding is required to remove them'???
If you go for a wof with the sway bar pin disconnected from the swaybar itself it will fail.
To pass the wof you have to connect the two or remove the swaybar completely...i've never failed a wof with the swaybar disconnect
mechanism in place and with the swaybar itself removed.

But my complete swaybar set up has been removed for a few years now.

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:11 pm

Sorry I was a bit unclear. The bushings in the sway bar links are worn, so have excessive play and "wiggle" around a lot. Thats whats failed, but I've been told by a few mechanics that the link can't be removed from the disconnect mechanism so the whole thing needs to be replaced, and thats the hard part. To find a replacement.
As for the certified welding, the disconnect mechanism doesnt bolt onto the chassis in the same way the rest of the standard links do. And there'd have to be some welding done to fit a standard link. But because its part of the suspension, it needs certification by a LVV mechanic to be modified.
Thats what I've found anyway. I get the part back from reconditioners tomorrow so should have the truck back on the road by monday
cheers, dylan.

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:18 pm

Ok, if you are talking about the right hand side swaybar pin that goes from the swaybar eye and up into the disconnect mechanism then yes that can be removed, worst part is undoing all the small screws around the plastic housing but wd40 or crc is your friend and just work them loose carefully.
Once you have the cover removed then pull on the end of the cable and the pin will come out very very easily...same deal when refitting it.

I've had mine apart numerous times as i've fitted lengthened pins to compensate for the suspension lift - I wanted to keep the swaybar system attached, but both lengthened pins failed due to wrong length and I just removed the whole assembly completely but still have the disconnect lever and cable in place.

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:48 pm

CRC and WD40 are my best friends from childhood :) haha

that makes sense, thanks heaps. I found out about those screws the hard way sadly :( very nearly took the heads of them. Yeah, I'm gonna keep the mechanism cause its handy to have, but I also considered having it removed cause like you said its only a little more body roll (can be fixed with stiffer springs). Took it for a drive with it all (sway bar) out and its not nearly as rolly as I thought it'd be.
But might look into it again later if/ when I do a suspension lift. Anything over 50mm needs a cert aye?
Cheers

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Just watch when you take the disconnect cover off...those screws have tiny brass inserts which sometimes come out with the screw and sometimes stay in, eitehr way you don't wanna lose them.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:08 pm

mine broke on the old hydro road in whirinaki years ago , garage changed it to solid links I made one link up with a removeable bolt to get the flex back
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:33 am

coxsy wrote:mine broke on the old hydro road in whirinaki years ago , garage changed it to solid links I made one link up with a removeable bolt to get the flex back

thats good thinking there

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”