Noobie questions - suspension and diff locks gq y60

SaltireNZ
Driver/Navigator

Noobie questions - suspension and diff locks gq y60

Postby SaltireNZ » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:03 pm

Hi all,
Pardon my ignorance. I bought what is basically a gq y60 low roof. Made in NZ in 1999 as a maverick but on a nissan chassis.
2 main questions:
1. If i put in a suspension lift of 50mm or less do i need a LVV cert? I was planning a 50mm body lift too so nee an LVV for that but wondering about suspension lift? Also if i do those two can i fit larger tyres to increase clearance to the diffs(lowest point under the vehicle)?
2. I havr a diff lock (factory equipped) which isnt working at the minute, i can hear clicks when i turn the switch but nothing seems to happen. This is linked to the vacuum solenoids and to the rear diff. Am i running a LSD or standard diff on the back. Did the LSD come with electric locker? Am i best to try and fix the OE locker or fit aftermarket lockers? And can i fit front and rear lockers? Which lockers are best?
Sorry for the extensive question...
Cheers
Colin

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Re: Noobie questions - suspension and diff locks gq y60

Postby Twodiffs » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:00 am

Hi Colin, that's a bit confusing. ...GQ's ended their run before '99. Are you sure of the year?. The Maverick was the Ford badged version for Nissan and only brought out in Aust in 12v.
Basically they had the same engines and running gear.

Have a Google search on GQ diff locks "vacuum actuator" and you'll find a fix, it's quite common and easy to sort apparently and the factory locker is pretty good once sorted. Coxsy on here or some of the other boys will chime in eventually.

I recommend not doing a body lift....not enough gain for what you get, you will have to cert it and one day you'll need new body mounts. As for susp lift you won't need a cert.....yet.
Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure of that.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:17 am

you've come to a good place, lots of safari/patrol guys on this forum and they tend to be really helpful.
The 50mm suspension lift will not require a cert from what i understand, but if you were to lift it higher than that, then it would need certing. However, there is some leeway, as many/most 20 year old trucks have likely sagged from factory height by 15-25 mm anyway, so a truck with 65mm lift will likely actually be less than 50mm higher than the same truck with new factory springs in it.
how big a tyre do you want to go to? (a patrol with 2" suspension lift and 2" body lift can fit a pretty big tyre.
Definitely investigate fixing the factory locker first, as it could be a simple electrical or actuator fault. A factory LSD can not be "locked " up by a switch. If you have a factory locker, it is almost definitely on your rear axle. so the diff is either "open" or "locked". I imagine you have an open front diff( Patrol guys jump in here please) in which case an aftermarket locker for your front diff can be fitted.
Larger tyres can be fitted to give bigger clearances under your diff( the nissans run large diffs). I think the cert requirement is if the tyre is 5% larger than factory, so technically even a shift from a 31" to a 33" should be certed... make sure you do every certifiable mod that you want, prior to a cert, so you don't need to get it certified twice(cost).

SaltireNZ
Driver/Navigator

Postby SaltireNZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:52 am

Twodiffs wrote:Hi Colin, that's a bit confusing. ...GQ's ended their run before '99. Are you sure of the year?. The Maverick was the Ford badged version for Nissan and only brought out in Aust in 12v.
Basically they had the same engines and running gear.

Have a Google search on GQ diff locks "vacuum actuator" and you'll find a fix, it's quite common and easy to sort apparently and the factory locker is pretty good once sorted. Coxsy on here or some of the other boys will chime in eventually.

I recommend not doing a body lift....not enough gain for what you get, you will have to cert it and one day you'll need new body mounts. As for susp lift you won't need a cert.....yet.
Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure of that.

Thanks Twodiffs.
The plate in the engine bay indicates made in 1999. I was told that Nissan or Ford shipped in a few Maverick bodies after the run finished and they put them on Nissan Safari chassis. It runs a n/a 4.2TD engine 24V system.

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:35 am

BlakeNZ wrote: I think the cert requirement is if the tyre is 5% larger than factory.

5% larger in rolling circumference, not diameter.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:02 pm

as far as i know, circumference is "Pi x Diameter". So if a tyre is 5% larger in diameter, it is also 5% larger in circumference.

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:24 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:as far as i know, circumference is "Pi x Diameter". So if a tyre is 5% larger in diameter, it is also 5% larger in circumference.

so it is, I'd never thought about that. :roll:

so why do the rules state circumference not diameter??? weird.

LVVTA

Fitting of or modification to: LVV Certification is not required provided that: (refer to LVV Certifier if beyond threshold below)
Tyre size changes
 The tyres:
 have an outer rolling circumference that is not more than 5% greater than OE;
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:58 pm

if you going to fit new locker system go for the new E lockers system, costly but no compressor and air lines of seal to blow at some stage.
rear locker vacuum engage, the factory solenoids' play up after time, jack rear diff in the air, turn switch on , see if both wheels turn together same direction,yes they do its engaged , no its not,
oh see if its got the vacuum actuator on the rear diff ,
If no joy check for vacuum on the lines back to the diff , you can fit a surf solenoid to replace it or a Mc valve from Mc valves they do a 24v valve around $109 for one
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:04 pm

mudsurfv6 wrote:
BlakeNZ wrote:as far as i know, circumference is "Pi x Diameter". So if a tyre is 5% larger in diameter, it is also 5% larger in circumference.

so it is, I'd never thought about that. :roll:

so why do the rules state circumference not diameter??? weird.

LVVTA

Fitting of or modification to: LVV Certification is not required provided that: (refer to LVV Certifier if beyond threshold below)
Tyre size changes
 The tyres:
 have an outer rolling circumference that is not more than 5% greater than OE;

Tyres from different manufacturers have different actual size, which impacts the rolling circumference. Which in turn gives you rotations per mile/kilometers. That gives you the speed indication bybthe speedo.

A bit convoluted, but two 33" tyres can have different rolling circumference with different rotations per mile
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:35 pm

If it's a 1999 then you have a GU or Y61 and they didn't come out as Mavericks. Only Patrols/Safari's. Is it lwb or swb?.
Can you put a pic up pls?

Just re-read your post...a 24v Maverick???!!!. Something doesn't stack up and definitely would like to see a pic!

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:35 pm

TJ wrote:Tyres from different manufacturers have different actual size, which impacts the rolling circumference. Which in turn gives you rotations per mile/kilometers. That gives you the speed indication bybthe speedo.A bit convoluted, but two 33" tyres can have different rolling circumference with different rotations per mile

which basically comes back to what I said earlier.

mudsurfv6 wrote:5% larger in rolling circumference, not diameter.

anyway, I think Colin might have the idea. :)

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:16 am

I've seen a few Safari's for sale over the last few months with what appears to be incorrect manufacturing dates.
Couple at car yards registered as 1993 with old type wing mirrors mirrors, poo brown interior, yellow instrument panel etc.

SaltireNZ
Driver/Navigator

Postby SaltireNZ » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Twodiffs wrote:If it's a 1999 then you have a GU or Y61 and they didn't come out as Mavericks. Only Patrols/Safari's. Is it lwb or swb?.
Can you put a pic up pls?

Just re-read your post...a 24v Maverick???!!!. Something doesn't stack up and definitely would like to see a pic!

Nope definitely gq y60. I think it is a nissan chassis and equipment including 24v system, and a lwb low roof maverick body imported from Australia when the run ended. It was built up in 1999 and certified at that time. Bit of a custom build i reckon.

Not sure how to put up a picture?

Anyway followed advice on here and have discovered my 2 solenoids work (the vacuum flicks over between the 2 lines when i flick the switch, the vacuum.is fine at the actuator on the diff and the diff engages. Evenchecked continuity on the signal lamp circuit and it all works....so the only thing wrong is a blown bulb in the instrument panel....will replace that next weekend.

SaltireNZ
Driver/Navigator

Postby SaltireNZ » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:31 am

20160221_112939.jpg

Just worked out hiw to add a picture!

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”