disk brakes / power steering

wopass
Hard Yaka

disk brakes / power steering

Postby wopass » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:56 am

anyone have information on best power steer conversion for an FJ40,would like a good strong set up but dont want to pay the freakin earth for the parts either.ive heard that toyota crown power steer units are ok,, would this be strong enough to take a beating on heavy use with big tyres?,also i hear that a BJ70 power steer unit bolts straight on and takes the beating as well ( would prolly prefer this option if affordable ),,If any of you have a set up or know where one is i would be most appreciative ( beer ) also want to find a disk brake set up as well. what model hilux brakes fit on the old cruiser,what mods need to be done to fit the gear,etc etc blah blah,,

I want to get these mods done so i can still drive the beast when im old and have to piss in a bag.

any information would be great and any parts would be better :D

cheers
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

wopass
Hard Yaka

ohh yea

Postby wopass » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:43 am

and who is the best tyre dealer to find a GREAT price on some simex centipedes,, ive been looking round and cant find a bloody price anywhere,,other than brochures,, which are "FULL RETAIL" ,,,,who the hell pays retail.

who has a set of 35/12.5/15 simex centipedes and what did you pay for them and from who did you buy them????????????

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:11 am

I understand (tho I have not done the conversion) that you can fit power steering from a solid axle hilux with a bit of bracketry to attach it, or use an IFS surf steering box to replace all the bellcrank rubish and make it crossover. Either of these boxes should be strong enough to take a 40 on Simexes.

I have a couple of spare IFS boxes available for $80 each - god knows what the freight would be to wherever you are, since they are weighty.

Simexes - try looking second hand if you want cheap... theres not many places discounting tyres like that probably due to the limited market. In Chch try Tonys Tyre Service, or KATS (Kaipoi Alignment and Tyre Service) as they often have good pricing.

Alternatively - SupraLux is for sale and has a near-new set on it - and has power steering... :)

Steve

wopass
Hard Yaka

good call.

Postby wopass » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:24 am

i drive a 96 solid axel lux so will have a look to see if the gear might fit,, better not pull my lux apart tho or i have to walk to work,,lol
and hate to sound like a duhhh,, but wtf is an ifs box man?

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:52 am

IFS - Independent Front Suspension. Virtually all Surfs from about 1986 onwards have that suspension setup and the box pushes the pitman arm east-west as opposed to north south on the old solid axle models.

Also, virtually any solid axle hilux front axle can be used to provide parts for the FJ40 disc brake swap. I have a link to a good article at home somewhere - I will try to find it.

If you use a later model axle like the one in your lux you can use vented rotors rather than solids but either way will work. you can also fit vented rotors to an old solid rotor axle and then just bolt up late model calipers (this is a mod I do quite often)

Steve

wopass
Hard Yaka

cheers dude.

Postby wopass » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:18 am

independant,, course,, :? duhh :? .hahha. had a blonde moment there
cheers for the info mate,will look into it,, theres a guy down murapara way that owes me a favour 8) and he has an old lux out the bak of his shed,, i may be able to get my power steer and disk brakes all in one foul swoop... :twisted: ohh yea :twisted: ,, well i can but hope eh.

DJ
Hard Yaka

Postby DJ » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:19 pm

who has a set of 35/12.5/15 simex centipedes

Hi dont have 15 s but have a set of 16s 50% worn that need a good home can get IFS steering box and rotors and caliphers. Not as far as Murapara
cheers DJ

wopass
Hard Yaka

hey dj

Postby wopass » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:56 pm

hey DJ,, might try for some new rubber dude, and where the hell is Ngongataha,,ive heard of it but no idea where it is,, what are the bits worth price wise any way mate? might be worth the trip,, if i go to murapara ill have to take the tool box and get all the bits off the truk down there in the middle of the bush so you can garantee i wont have all the gear i need to do the job,,lol. hate that.
cheers.

DJ
Hard Yaka

Postby DJ » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:55 pm

where the hell is Ngongataha

you have never heard of Ngoni ???????where have you been ????...its world famous in Ngongotaha. :lol: the best fly fishin in the Bay 8) Home of the Argodome :P close (within 5mins) of some of the most challenging 4wding :shock: near Offroad NZ :P beside a mountain on the shores of Lake Rotorua :P :P :P
before heading into Rotorua from Hamilton side get to a round a bout turn left theres a small village THATS US NGONGOTAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:
had a look at your vehicle specs and I dout that your beast could turn 16" swampers with out adding some serious torqe :twisted:
cheers DJ

wopass
Hard Yaka

hahhaha

Postby wopass » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:15 pm

yea i know where you are now mate,, i knew i knrw where it was :? ,, and my old cruise missile has no probbs with torque,, 4.2ltr 2f engine has plenty of pep,,had it out pulling a vx ltd turbo at 100 - 155kph,, i rekon it would do 160 but ,, man thats some scary shit in a bush truk at high speed. slightly modded intake and exhaust ( i love rotory burrs ) and it holds 5000 rpm and sings :twisted: ohh i love that sound.
its a bit jacked up. did a leaf over conversion on it when i was bout 21,, doesnt look flash but hey,, it hasnt broken yet..... and ive given i right royal testing,,,,, shit,, thats nearly 11 years ago,, bloody hell, still has front drive shaft issues with drive angle but pfft,, i just throw a UJ at it once in a while an its sweet as.,, better go do some more work,, think ive been busted sitting down :evil:

wopass
Hard Yaka

bak to the topic,,lol

Postby wopass » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:32 pm

bak to power steering,, ive had a look at some mates smurfs and that looks like the way to go,, ifs box to get rid of all the north/south drag links,, just a couple of questions tho,, have you done one of these conv's before Steve ?,, if so , where did you mount the steer box, in front of the battery ( collumn shaft thru the battery box ) or remove the old manual box pedistall and mount to the chassi on an angle to accept the collumn shaft and modify the drop arm to hook up the drag link?? any info would be great,,

CHEERS

wopass
Hard Yaka

change of box

Postby wopass » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:00 pm

cancel smurf box,, been talkin to a guy up here who's seen them shear sector shafts quite often :( (cant handle 1000kg's sitting on top of the wheels trying to turn) , big fat heavy cruiser needs a tougher box than the smurf can offer, so..... next sugestion was the box off a 60 - 70 series cruiser :twisted: , bigger stronger more powerfull :twisted: designed for big whale turning.
so does anyone know where i can find one of these as my mate here doesnt have one(box and pump and hoses etc) in stock,, and i imagine wreckers will want some good coin for one.
cheers

wopass
Hard Yaka

OMG

Postby wopass » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:28 pm

i found a price for a 60 series box and its not pretty.

bit of measuring and conclusion is= surf IFS powersteer box has same sector shaft measurment ( at drop arm ) of 32mm, same as the 60 series cruiser. prolly have a neak down inside somewhere but for the huge price difference im going to tell myself that the cheaper smurf box will be strong enough.and ill just be a bit carfull when doing river beds or big boulder climbing.
:D the cruiser will have powersteering ohh yes... it will :D

might post some in prog pictures if i can figure out how to post pics.

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:14 pm

Hi - sorry, I can't give any experienced advice on this at all as most of my experience is based on Hilux not cruiser...

I do have everything you need to set up using Hilux or Surf parts, but it sounds like you already have what you need.

Feel free to bounce questions re: the surf box tho - I'm glad to help where I can

regards

Steve

wopass
Hard Yaka

parts

Postby wopass » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:44 pm

have no parts as of yet,, still pricing bits,, want to try get the whole lot in one go rather than get bits here,bits there.
DJ's having a look for a price for me in rotavagas,might be a go if he can do as good a price as you :wink: then dont have to worry bout shipping and couriers looseing the shit.
have a guy here with a box and pump for $100,, but no linkages or steer shaft from box to collumn or drag. and i want ALL the bits associated with steering in case i have to do some crazy mods.
thanks for the help man

zebedee99
Bush Crasher

Re: disk brakes / power steering

Postby zebedee99 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:05 am

hey wopass, what did you go with in the end?? am not doing anything much in the way of offroading (yet - gonna do the course up at woodhill and then join a club) but want to put PS in my cruiser - 81 FJ40 with SBC 400 on 33" at the moment. cheers

wopass
Hard Yaka

Re: disk brakes / power steering

Postby wopass » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:57 pm

zebedee99 wrote:hey wopass, what did you go with in the end?? am not doing anything much in the way of offroading (yet - gonna do the course up at woodhill and then join a club) but want to put PS in my cruiser - 81 FJ40 with SBC 400 on 33" at the moment. cheers

go wit the 60 series box mounted on the front outside of the chassis rail mate, works wicked and is good strong gear. :wink: theres a few pics around in threads on how to do it. i think nibliks build thread has some good pics.

Return to “Drivetrain / Suspension”