Rover dissy body and/or parts wanted

solihl
Driver/Navigator

Rover dissy body and/or parts wanted

Postby solihl » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:49 pm

Looking at trying to overcome my rangies biggest problem, reliable spark! Just need to look at water and it splutters and often dies which is not good. LPG also has problems as soon as spark gets weak. I'm running an aftermarket electronic system in std dissy, bigger coil, some custom H/D leads tighter plug gaps for LPG etc but its not that good overall.

I'm thinking of trying something a bit different and would like some spare distributors to play with and bastardise. Wrecker prices scare me so i'm hoping some folk on this board may have some spare stuff, working or not that they would exchange for a few beer tokens.

In a past life i have run HiPerf SB chev's in open engine bays, driven thru torrential rain etc with out any problems at all. I could wash my engine, running the hose on the dissy cap and then turn the key and it would start. It would fire a blue 1/2" spark from the end of the HT lead and rev clean to 8000rpm. This is the sort of dissy relability i'm wanting to build, although i don't think the old P76 will rev that high.

Anyone got any spare bits going cheap?

Kevin

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:58 am

Will have a look through the parts bin this weekend, had a spare motor in bits somewhere, but cant remember if the dizzy was still with it.
Fully agree on the Chevy engines. My old man had a 307 chev in his 69 Nissan patrol, never missed a beat in the water/slosh. Helped with the Dizzy mounted at the back of the engine.
On that note, Am I correct in assuming that chevy/rover V8's have the same stud pattern?? Why have 4.4 litres when you can have 5.0 in the rangie............ 8)

cheers
Rex

solihl
Driver/Navigator

Postby solihl » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:43 am

Hi Rex,
Hmm 4.4 or a chev, i must admit it had crossed my mind and while i have a love of SB chevs the leyland will stay for a while. While it would be easy to fit the chev (no they do not mount the same, but the conversion is common) my rangie has a good balanced feel to it as it is, good articulation and flex etc and adding 150kg more to the nose would have me starting again. I'm sure with a bit of work the dissy problems can be worked through.
Let me know what you find,
Kevin

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:20 am

I feel your pain.

My rangie and almost everyone I have been in doesn't like swimming either...

Our tack has always been to water-proof.

High density plastic on the inner guards and underneath from the bullbar back past the sump. Another piece in front of the dissy. Coil in a box. Carrots or motorbike rubber boots on the plug ends. Worked for the poo coloured rangie. She now runs under water - but Andre very rarely makes it there as he can break everything else in one car length...

Aparently tapping the dissy for air and running a drier and 3 psi does the trick but I have never seen a working one....

What Electronic ignition are you running on the P76?

Sorry no parts - what about a holden dissy conversion if spark is an issue?
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.http://home.off-road.com/~bodgerover/

solihl
Driver/Navigator

Postby solihl » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:45 am

Hi Richard,
Can't remeber the make of the ignition, but it basically has a chopper system like a luminition that feeds a control box which fires the coil. The problem is it seems to lack the real GRUNT that i would prefer. I also seem to be changing/cleaning caps & rotors fairly often, much more so than other vehicles i have owned.
Have heard of a Holden conversion but have never found anyone who has actually done it. If a holden could be adapted then that may be another option. Any info on this would be appreicated.
I was just thinking of the chev because if have worked with them a bit in the past, from points & big coil and leads, to HEI, modified HEI with 8mm leads then full MSD dissy, 6AL and blaster2 and 8.8mm leads. With the MSD combo you could waterblast the dissy and it would keep running. Try that with a rover!
Kevin

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangerat » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:33 pm

I have a Mallory twin piont in my 3.5. Have had water over the bonnet and she has only ever had one brief cough from water (couple of quick revs and away) What have I done to water proof? NOTHING!!!!!!!!(I do have a snorkel)
I guess I have the only factory 3.5 submarine engine.

Rat

solihl
Driver/Navigator

Postby solihl » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:20 am

Lucky bastard, mine is the std rover let all fluids in and/or out model that hickups in heavy rain.
Where did you get the twin point from?? Is it a buick item or adapted form something else. How much? big $$??
Kevin

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:06 am

According to one of the Aussie lists Shaun Tunstall on the Sunshine coast is currently working on modifying a factory holden v8 distributor and should have had a kit ready by now - he can be contacted on 0418874349.

Also Rangie Spares and Vitesse do a replacement Holden dissy...?
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.http://home.off-road.com/~bodgerover/

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:30 pm

Thanks for the info Richard, but i'm thinking i might have a play with the HEI route. Have picked up a Rover electronic dissy today and will try and get an HEI for comparison on Monday while i'm in Tauranga and have a good measure & play in the next week or so.
Kevin

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:30 pm

Aren't some of the Holden V8 dissy's HEI?

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangerat » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:44 pm

Part No and price's for Mallory twin point (Pro Parts Pamly)

Female drive non vac M2564301 $499+gst (This the same as mine)
Male drive vac advance M2768902 $546 + gst

The drive bit relates to how it is driven off your oil pump.

Rat

solihl
Driver/Navigator

Postby solihl » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:10 am

Thanks for tha Rat, but i'm now well on the way to a Rover HEI.

I have found a Buick V6 Dissy with the same shaft dimensions as the std rover V8 dissy, and have converted it to an 8cyl using a mix of Oldsmobile reluctor etc and fitted it off with chev cap & coil. Fires a blue spark about 1/2" to 3/4" on the bench which should be enough to light the P76's fire.

I need to get a bush and spring kit for the certifugal advance before it goes in and it looks like i will need to modify the top rad hose as its already sitting on the stock disssy and the HEI is HUGE so will not fit with out a few things being moved. The HEI cap is about 2" taller than stock and about 1 1/2" bigger in diameter as well so it will be very tight but hopefully it will all go OK.

Have taken a few pic's of the buick, oldsmobile and rover dissy's and parts to swap so once its all sorted (assuming it all works!) i will set up a web page on it all.

Kevin

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:13 am

Sounds great!

Was the Buick dissy hard to find?
What sort of costs are we looking at for the conversion?

solihl
Driver/Navigator

Postby solihl » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:18 pm

Hi Bodge,

The conversion is going well, but i'm at a bit of a disadvantage being miles from the city when i need to get what i have always thought of as the most basic of parts. I need to take a trip to Tauranga or similar to get silly things. I'm temporarily thwarted by bushes for certifgual advance weights at the moment. The old ones are non-existent and can only buy replacements out of Auckland as part of a kit for about $25-30. Will have to resort to bodging some up out of something over the weekend.

The actual Dissy took a bit of finding, as did the other bits and pieces. Took a drive to Matamata, Katikati, Tauranga and the Mount to get it all but overall costs should be under $200 to get it all happening. Being in Auckland you could get the whole lot in 1/2 hour if you know where to shop but costs may be a bit more as it would be more "retail" places than the "el cheapo" spots i dig around at.

I will try and get it all fitted up over the weekend and let you know what the performance is like.

Kevin

solihl
Driver/Navigator

Well it runs!

Postby solihl » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:55 pm

Had a bit of success last night, after about 1 hour with the grinder attacking the inlet manifold and shaving part of the dissy housing i finally got the HEI in, what a PITA!!
It is a VERY tight fit, but it did reward me by starting with just a touch of the key, despite being about 40 degrees advanced!! Spent an hour or so fiddling this morning (in the rain) prior to coming to work. Swapped the top hose end for end and it fits over the top of the cap so that was good, something actually worked out.
The lack of clearance means the dissy can't be rotated more than about 15-20 degrees so pulled it out, moved the rotor so the drive gear re-engaged 1 tooth around, moved all the leads around by one and it mow starts and sounds great (on petrol). Just need to find the time, motivation and hopefully dry weather to find a way to trigger the LPG ignition sensor so it will flow LPG to run it. It now starts fine on the stuff and runs fine for 4-5 sec's until the timer shuts off LPG flow. Need to re-gap all the plugs as well out to .050" to take advantage of the new spark.
Kevin

solihl
Driver/Navigator

Well, it runs!

Postby solihl » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:22 am

Hi Bodge

Here is a couple of pic's. A word of warning it's not a very pretty engine bay.

Anyway this first pic <br>Image <br><br>shows the size difference between a std rover and the HEI unit, the HEI is massive. Thinking about it, it probably would fit easier in the rover V8 than the P76, because the interference was the intake manifold which would be 1/2 to 3/4" lower in the rover than the P76.

As you will see here Image <br><br> it is a very tight fit. The plug leads are all over the place as i just cut the old ends off to fit HEI ends, and they all need replacing with new correct length ones.

I do have it all running on LPG now and it starts heaps better, both on petrol & LPG, and it sounds heaps different. I will need to buy a proper bush kit for the centrifugal advance though as my home made bodged bushes are too tight and centifgual advance is not really functioning at all which makes it not too nice to drive. I can say though that it has given the engine a ton more torque off the line but due to the lack of advance it dies over about 2500 at the moment. I'm very hopeful it will come right with new bushes and recurved avdance etc. It just sounds so strong now!

Will also open plug gaps up to take advantage of the new spark, i have previously run HEI's with aftermarket coil pack at .055" but will try it at .045-.050 and see how LPG likes it, i know petrol will be fine at this gap.

The LPG was easy to get working, HEI's have a tach output terminal so i hooked this up to the LPG and away it went, too easy!

Will get the bits i need to rebush and recurve advance this week and let you know how i get on. Despite the cursing and grinding its not been too bad, and best of all very cheap to do. With good scrounging skills it should all be in, advance recurved, new 8mm leads etc for under NZ$250, which compared to the cost of other replacements i had priced leaves plenty of beer tokens for me!

Kevin

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:29 pm

Hard to see whats going on in there - What did you have to grind? The inlet manifold or the timing cover/water pump... Are you still on the standard P76 Water P/Timing cover?

The difference in size is massive!!!!!!

solihl
Driver/Navigator

Postby solihl » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:23 pm

It's got the rover cover/pump etc. What i had to grind was the front of the intake manifold by the bolt as i could not get the distributer in. Had to take about 1/4" off to make it fit. Still very tight but it works, just fouls on the cap a bit limiting the amount of timing adjustment, can only get about 15-20 degrees, but its seems to start fine now, LPG or petrol, and should run better once the bushes are done properly. This weeks is kind of nuts so it may be a few days before i can get to have another play.
Keivn

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:25 pm

I have a feeling the P76 water pump will foul this set up...

Do you know what it looks like - what do you think????

solihl
Driver/Navigator

Postby solihl » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:30 am

Hi Bodge,
Well its all in and pulls like a school boy. It starts fine hot or cold, petrol or LPG. Only done about 10-12km in it so far but the difference is huge. Gave it a run on "closed roads" last night and pulled hard to 135 on LPG, and when i backed off it was still pulling strong. It has built the torque curve something huge. I have rebushed the centrifugal advance and re-curved it as well so there is now 20 degrees in at 4000prm. This prbably helps as well.
My motor is a P76, but with the rover front cover, water pump etc and it fitted OK other than the intake manifold clearance. I took some more pic's last night while i had the dissy apart so you can see the extent of the grinding, and i will post them somewhere over the weekend.
Kevin

Return to “4WD Parts”