Wanted: Dive Tank

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Wanted: Dive Tank

Postby DMcCready » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Looking for a dive tank for an air supply for my buggy.

Doesn't need to be in test but would need to have a good chance to pass. Doesnt need to be pretty. Looking for around the 10L capacity (confined a bit on the overall length I can fit. I have 700mm overall)

Cheers Guys 8)
There's gotta be some rocks round here SOMEWHERE!

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Wanted: Dive Tank

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:51 pm

9kg dry powder extinguishers are 690mm with fitting and take plenty of psi. mine generally sits around 120psi.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Cheers for the tip Crash.

I have played with a few compressors with mixed results. If I had room I would throw a AC pump in. For the amount of times I will use it I want to just have a dive tank that is at dive pressure. Not really worried about the few bucks to get it refilled

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Dive tanks are at many many times compressor psi. Many.

No shop worth their ticket will fill an uncerted tank.

Have you considered using an old lpg tank? They're a dime a dozen and good for a few pounds...
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:50 pm

Thats why I am looking for a scuba tank that is either with a current test or one that can still pass so I can take it to a dive shop and get it filled.

Using the low pressure loop from a dive regulator I can get multiple fills out of one tank

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:23 pm

DMcCready wrote:Thats why I am looking for a scuba tank that is either with a current test or one that can still pass so I can take it to a dive shop and get it filled.

Using the low pressure loop from a dive regulator I can get multiple fills out of one tank

If your going to the trouble of hunting down a certifiable dive tank you should really convert an A/C pump. Mine will charge to 110 psi, in about 30 seconds, and at engine idle will maintain 50 psi.
beaded four tyres the other day 1 after the other. :mrgreen:
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:36 pm

An AC pump would be the only type of compressor I would run... But as stated before I dont have the room. 6L Chev jammed down between triangulated 4 links and squashed between shock hoops

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:37 am

Get a good safe tank ... the gas tanks I deal with at work are loaded to between 250 & 300 MPa ( Mega Pascals ) that's 36000 & 43000 PSI. That's a bomb.
NO dive shop will fill an untested tank. Cant believe you want to bang & bash around something that will kill you when it fails.
If you don't have much space buy a good qualify electric compressor . The ARB one I have runs small air tools , will easily rebead a tire & takes my 33's from 20 to 35 psi in under a minute each.

Weeds
Hard Yaka

Postby Weeds » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:21 am

Get a air con pump mcreapy I don't wana drag you around with a bomb attached :lol:

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:27 am

90% sure I have one or two of them floating around in Wellington. Will try and get my brother to check :mrgreen:

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:05 pm

turoa wrote:90% sure I have one or two of them floating around in Wellington. Will try and get my brother to check :mrgreen:

Cheers Turoa. Message me if he finds anything :D

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:15 pm

tallsam66 wrote:Get a good safe tank ... the gas tanks I deal with at work are loaded to between 250 & 300 MPa ( Mega Pascals ) that's 36000 & 43000 PSI. That's a bomb.
NO dive shop will fill an untested tank. Cant believe you want to bang & bash around something that will kill you when it fails.
If you don't have much space buy a good qualify electric compressor . The ARB one I have runs small air tools , will easily rebead a tire & takes my 33's from 20 to 35 psi in under a minute each.

At no time in this thread have I said I want to try and find a dive shop to fill some POS tank I have lying around. I understand pressure. I too work with oxy bottles and such that run at 300 Mpa. A DIVE TANK RUNS AT 10% OF THAT PRESSURE.

I have talked to and watched a number of trials and winch comp guys that have been using dive tanks for years with no issue. Hell Ultra4 trucks and even desert racers use these types of tanks ( Compressed air or CO2) to do everything from fill tires to run air tools. With proper mounts and protection of the tank there is no issue.

I am happy with my decision to use a safe and up to test dive tank. thanks

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:46 pm

Your entry to Kiwi is going to be declined sorry :-(

Last thing we need is a terrorist driving around Rallywoods with a bomb on board !!

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:00 pm

skid wrote:Your entry to Kiwi is going to be declined sorry :-(

Last thing we need is a terrorist driving around Rallywoods with a bomb on board !!

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Just call me Osama... Weeds already is :lol:

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:18 pm

We have a dive tank already converted. Its either certed or can be, its standard full size though, I thought it would be bigger than 700mm. But if 700mm is standard then it must be that, I'm in pukekohe but??

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:32 pm

J_Dub wrote:We have a dive tank already converted. Its either certed or can be, its standard full size though, I thought it would be bigger than 700mm. But if 700mm is standard then it must be that, I'm in pukekohe but??

PM'ed Ya mate

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:50 pm

:D
Last edited by mudlva on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Craydiver
Hard Yaka

Postby Craydiver » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:49 pm

ima diver but ive never bothered with tanks, and will be using A/c
if going for tanks, TRy and buy the newer steels - you can get up to 15l now about $400-500 new, these hold a lot more ie 40%. than the older 80-88cu (equiv to 11l) alloys,
the new steels are bigger dia than old alloys and bit shorter. Conversly if size and issue go for new small steel, I have 10l, its 2/3 the length of my alloy.
Theres plenty sec hand, but be careful of the older Aluminium tanks - these are much more likely to fail the hydro.
Couple dive buddies both had their 20yr + tanks failed in last few yrs, conversely I still have my first 80cu alloy tank brought in 83 going strong.
you can get old regs pretty easy and use old low pressure hose, cut end with air connector and hose clip, plenty of sec hand bottles on trade me which you get for under 200 easy.
Make sure you are connected to low pressure port.......!

Make sure you avoid completely emptying the tank when using, always keep 300psi in it, else it can suck in humid air when empty, which later sits in tanks and starts corrosion, and will cause you to fail hydro.
88SWB GQ TD Turbo, 35's, lockers

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Seeesh! I was wondering how this thread kept being at the top of the active topics. You'd think the title was "Opinions wanted on running a dive tank" or "who will fill my shitty dive tank?"

Instead it's simply a smart guy who's considered his options and now wants to purchase a dive tank that he can cert and get filled. Why all the opinions?
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Craydiver wrote:ima diver but ive never bothered with tanks, and will be using A/c
if going for tanks, TRy and buy the newer steels - you can get up to 15l now about $400-500 new, these hold a lot more ie 40%. than the older 80-88cu (equiv to 11l) alloys,
the new steels are bigger dia than old alloys and bit shorter. Conversly if size and issue go for new small steel, I have 10l, its 2/3 the length of my alloy.
Theres plenty sec hand, but be careful of the older Aluminium tanks - these are much more likely to fail the hydro.
Couple dive buddies both had their 20yr + tanks failed in last few yrs, conversely I still have my first 80cu alloy tank brought in 83 going strong.
you can get old regs pretty easy and use old low pressure hose, cut end with air connector and hose clip, plenty of sec hand bottles on trade me which you get for under 200 easy.
Make sure you are connected to low pressure port.......!

Make sure you avoid completely emptying the tank when using, always keep 300psi in it, else it can suck in humid air when empty, which later sits in tanks and starts corrosion, and will cause you to fail hydro.

Cheers for the advice! 8) Much appreciated

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:50 pm

Checkerhead wrote:Seeesh! I was wondering how this thread kept being at the top of the active topics. You'd think the title was "Opinions wanted on running a dive tank" or "who will fill my shitty dive tank?"

Instead it's simply a smart guy who's considered his options and now wants to purchase a dive tank that he can cert and get filled. Why all the opinions?

Haha Thanks... thought I was going crazy for a bit there :lol:

Return to “4WD Parts”