WTB: Y60 / GQ Safari, long list of bits.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

WTB: Y60 / GQ Safari, long list of bits.

Postby MihiT » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:41 am

So I'l start this thread rather than lots of one-bit ones.
Right now the tops of my list are:

*Factory rear LSD or vacuum locker (easy)

*Front 3/4 bench and driver bucket. -I have never seen one of these in a GQ but blackduck specify a cover for them so they must exist. I remember one of you had an MK/Q bench but if I can find a bolt-in then I'll go that way.

*The bits to run a GU vacuum pump, I believe this is the pump, timing cover and backing plate plus a hose or two.
OR
I believe RD28 run a belt drive pump. One of those would do!

*Fast idle knob +/ assembly for that end of the cable
Last edited by MihiT on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: WTB: Y60 / GQ Safari, long list of bits.

Postby mudlva » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:43 pm

thsoe 3/4 seats would be out of a ute.
on saying that ive got the mk seat here

also a 3rd option is a set out of a bj74 ute which i also have here...

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:44 pm

mudlva wrote:
also a 3rd option is a set out of a bj74 ute which i also have here...

Maybe maybe. Will they bolt straight in?

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Haha wouldnt think so....
1s yota others ford.... there would have to be a differance some where

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:34 pm

Also, would I be too optimistic in thinking that I could drop the driveshaft, undo the flange/pumpkin bolts and pull the diff guts forward and out? Or do I need to remove one/both wheels and driveshafts to swap the internals?

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:10 pm

MihiT wrote:Also, would I be too optimistic in thinking that I could drop the driveshaft, undo the flange/pumpkin bolts and pull the diff guts forward and out? Or do I need to remove one/both wheels and driveshafts to swap the internals?

Both wheels off and axles out bud.
No other way

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:17 am

deleted
Last edited by MihiT on Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:19 am

mudlva wrote:Haha wouldnt think so....

I suppose the biggest issue is clearing the handbrake, and fitting between the doors. Although I am interested in an umbrella handbrake, just because.
Between the gas torch and a few lengths of flat bar I'm sure I can mount them...

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:28 am

MihiT wrote:
mudlva wrote:Haha wouldnt think so....

I suppose the biggest issue is clearing the handbrake, and fitting between the doors. Although I am interested in an umbrella handbrake, just because.
Between the gas torch and a few lengths of flat bar I'm sure I can mount them...

Ahh thats the attitude bud.

Just be aware that the extra simex tyre pattern is free.....
Attachments
20160105_205210.jpg
20160105_205442.jpg

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:02 am

mudlva wrote:

What's the width of those bj ones all in a row? Might have to drop in next time I'm in your neck of the woods.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:11 am

MihiT wrote:
mudlva wrote:

What's the width of those bj ones all in a row? Might have to drop in next time I'm in your neck of the woods.

Drivers 560
Pas, 690

Mk pas, 770

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:01 am

mudlva wrote:
MihiT wrote:
mudlva wrote:

Drivers 560
Pas, 690

Mk pas, 770

Well surprise surprise, the nismo one fits better. I've probably lost your number so if you want to call/txt or PM your details, I'll be in auckland next weekend and can be a few days either side, as it suits you.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:36 pm

OK, so the diff(s) are moving up my list.
I've searched through 10 pages of threads here and I think I'm on the right track.

Current diffs are stock 4.1 ratio, any markings or stickers are either under a half inch of dust, or no longer with us, but measuring from the outside, it looks like the H233 front and back - it measures about that diameter and has 11 bolts.

So I either need to buy LSDs to fit (preferred), or whole diff setups to change the ratio.

If you could enligten me: LSD to fit the front, MQ rear? D21 rear? any others?

And LSD for the rear, any H233? And/or can the clutch pack from any rear H233 go onto the front ring?

I also never got my head around 31 vs 33 spline :?

Any advantage (in terms af availability or known weaknesses) between 4.3, 4.6 or 4.8s? (I very rarely need or want first gear!) I think the 4.1s on 33" tyres are about the sweet-spot for the engine, too.

So if anyone has the parts sitting there (preferably Northland-Waikato), I'll be buying within the next month or so

And just to go off on another tangent, I read somewhere in my travels that I can swap something (out of a terrano?) to lift my tierod/drag links out of harm's way. Ideas?

And also the brakes, I will be uprating the chassis hoses, but wonder will any Y61 twin-pistons bolt straight in?

And finally (today at least!), has anyone modified a saf transfer case engagement lever/setup to split hi/lo and 2x/4x to two different levers? I sometimes find myself in low range with the front hubs unlocked when idling through paddocks etc, would be nice to select it from the cab rather than getting out to un/lock the hubs.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:01 pm

If you could enligten me: LSD to fit the front, MQ rear? D21 rear? any others?

Yes and yes, H233B 31-spline will fit the front. Any LSD from the rear of a Terrano that looks like this.

And LSD for the rear, any H233? And/or can the clutch pack from any rear H233 go onto the front ring?

Must be 33 spline if swapping the whole unit

I also never got my head around 31 vs 33 spline :?

Safari rear/Terrano R50 rear has 33 spline axles/side gears

Any advantage (in terms af availability or known weaknesses) between 4.3, 4.6 or 4.8s? (I very rarely need or want first gear!) I think the 4.1s on 33" tyres are about the sweet-spot for the engine, too.

The lower the overall gearing (numerically higher), the slower the vehicle will go in any given gear. In turn this makes it easier to put power down and control it, in turn making the vehicle more capable. But you can change main gearbox/transfer case gearing for bigger gains, I wouldn't worry too much about diff gearing if you're happy the way it is now. No strength issues with Nissan (Fuji Heavy Industries) diffs when going between ratios. Theoretically numerically higher ratio (ie lower ratio) means fewer teeth, less contact, but these diffs don't seem to give a dogs balls.

And just to go off on another tangent, I read somewhere in my travels that I can swap something (out of a terrano?) to lift my tierod/drag links out of harm's way. Ideas?

The knuckles from the MQ Patrol front axle can be retro fitted to the GQ front housing, this puts the tie rod further up. Not high steer but better than the factory setup for protection. However this may effect things like ackerman angle (toe change as the wheels cycle throughout the steering range of movement). Theoretically this MQ knuckle mod would allow you to run a low pinion front diff (plenty strong), which would allow you to run factory 4.88 gears in the diffs. Thats what I would do but I like to make things overly complicated for myself, just to 'see if it will work.' Now I'm going off on a tangent. With the aftermarket tierods available, and the scarcity of MQ front axles, you may not bother.

And finally (today at least!), has anyone modified a saf transfer case engagement lever/setup to split hi/lo and 2x/4x to two different levers? I sometimes find myself in low range with the front hubs unlocked when idling through paddocks etc, would be nice to select it from the cab rather than getting out to un/lock the hubs.

I havent done it but have done a lot of research on the TX10 (Terrano V6) transfer case which is very very similar. Theoretically it should be possible to have a twin stick but would require separating the linkages for the 4wd selection and 4lo selection. I've been looking into this in relation to running doubler cases but using the middle case front output to drive a PTO winch. Probably all sounds like mumbo jumbo but if you pull a case apart/look at the service manual, it should be technically possible without too much dramas.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:37 pm

Thanks guy!
lax2wlg wrote:Yes and yes, H233B 31-spline will fit the front. Any LSD from the rear of a Terrano that looks like this.

So I need 31 spline for the front and 33 at the rear?

Theoretically it should be possible to have a twin stick but would require separating the linkages for the 4wd selection and 4lo selection
Probably all sounds like mumbo jumbo but if you pull a case apart/look at the service manual, it should be technically possible without too much dramas.

That's probably what I will end up doing (pulling one apart), I did wonder if it was going to be as simple as linkages or whether I would need a different selector fork arangement inside. That's lesser priority than my diffs at the moment!

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:28 pm

MihiT wrote:Thanks guy!
lax2wlg wrote:Yes and yes, H233B 31-spline will fit the front. Any LSD from the rear of a Terrano that looks like this.

So I need 31 spline for the front and 33 at the rear?

Theoretically it should be possible to have a twin stick but would require separating the linkages for the 4wd selection and 4lo selection
Probably all sounds like mumbo jumbo but if you pull a case apart/look at the service manual, it should be technically possible without too much dramas.

That's probably what I will end up doing (pulling one apart), I did wonder if it was going to be as simple as linkages or whether I would need a different selector fork arangement inside. That's lesser priority than my diffs at the moment!

Yep 31 front\33 spline rear. Seems like an overkill for the R50 Terrano but I guess that's modern car building for you. Though it does have a very potent V6 engine. Lot of good things about those vehicles as a 4x4 platform but it's let down by the McPherson strut ifs and crap-and-pinion steering from a Primera. Like to do a straight axle swap in one of those at some point before I die. Anyway, I digress.

The problem with ratios in the GQ\Y60 is that due to the high pinion front diff, the factory (non nismo) ratio choices are limted. The 4.6 gears are hard to find...

I'll try to dig up the transfer case research I did.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Return to “4WD Parts”