Wanted, first 4WD

Paint
Driver/Navigator

Wanted, first 4WD

Postby Paint » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:26 am

hey guys im in the market for a 4wd, ive got about 8.5k could stretch it to 9, to spend on the right truck, models i was looking at were hilux surfs, safari, landcruiser

want somthing long enough to be able to put the back seats flat and sleep in the back (missus wants to go camping... and i hate tents :) )
must be manual

i couldnt find much on trademe bar one, but as im in wellington and its in auckland its a fair way to travel for a look.

what are your guys thoughts on this one:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =251096430

anyone had a look at it? or anyone here own it?

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Re: Wanted, first 4WD

Postby badnuz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:50 am

thats a pretty intense 1st 4wd....... depends on what you want out of it i guess? good on road manners? better offroad capability?
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:58 am

That looks like quite a tidy conversion, some places will charge you 10k + for a drivein drive out conversion, the 1uz's dont have the low down torque of say a 350 chev but they are more economical.

lookng about 300-350 to get it shipped down to welly door to door.

Maybe one of the Auckland fella's can look over it for ya eg Coxsy.....

What sort of trips are you intending on doing, shiny trips or trips where you are going to do damage? as you will probably want to budget in for some barwork to help protect the body.
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:22 am

someone has to say it,
4 inch body lift..
IFS + big tyres + good power = trouble

have a search around the site and do some reading before you jump into anything.

As jerry said regardless of what you buy you need to budget for mods, bar work, recovery gear and repairs.

good luck.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experiance!

marmel
Hard Yaka

Postby marmel » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Like the other guys have said your first decision to make is what type of 4wd trips are you going to be doing.

Most 4wd's like Surfs, Terrano's (which I have) are adequate for getting out in the bush and getting dirty but once you try some serious trails you will struggle due to the independent front suspension.

If you want to get a bit more serious you should consider something with a solid front axle like a Nissan Safari or Toyota Landcruiser.

With your budget you should be able to pick up a nice vehicle whichever way you decide to go.

Also as someone has mentioned that truck you linked to will almost definately have issues once you start getting out onthe trails, the stress on the steering system will cause things to break before to long.

BrentC
Hard Yaka

Postby BrentC » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Buy this and get a tent - sleeping inside a truck isn't that comfortable :shock:

http://tinypic.com/r/fnw97c/4

Wants $6,500 ph John V 021677511

Already set up and cheap

V8's just chew up beer money - much cheaper to get a v8 recording on your IPOD. :lol:

Paint
Driver/Navigator

Postby Paint » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:21 pm

thanks for the replys guys, ok ill give the V8 a miss then, my missus wasnt that into it anyways, i cant veiw thoes trademe auctions rangimotors posted as im at work and they block trademe.
but will have a look when i get home.

basically what im buying i want a good alrounder, a good everyday car, but that can handle some mud, and big rocks, snorkel would be cool, but then that could be added later if i wanted to get more serious.
our first test trip will be out to red rocks so i want one to handel that sort of terrain with ease.
raised a few inches and bigger tyres would be on the cards if its not already been done to the truck.
and yeah will defenitly invest in some good recovery gear

i was originaly going to be looking for a 3ltr turbo diesel surf, ive heard the problems of the 2.4s so want to steer clear of them, my old man told me to steer clear of the independent suspension models to, so thatd leave the beam axels pre 90s, which i would love as i like that removable top but trying to find one in good knick with semi decent ks is a bit of a bitch.

and then ive got the decision of deisel or petrol, and ive thrown around the pros and cons for awhile and still pretty much undecided.

i do like the safaris but it seems most of them up for sale seem to be just out of my price range for a decent one.

pfff ill keep looking, im in no rush.

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Keep an eye out for some Welly trips as well, if you don't have a 4wd etc we can sort out a seat for ya. the next training day will be in Feb sometime.
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:48 pm

You will struggle for room if you want to sleep in the back of a surf. Not much of a gap between the roof and the floor once you get a layer of mattress under ya :lol:

Buy this and get a tent - sleeping inside a truck isn't that comfortable

Fark tenting! They only time you should have to tent is when your tramping :lol: It can limit your days a bit unless you like putting them up in the dark and its pretty miserable putting a tent up in the rain.

I had a LWB high top Safari with a bed setup in the back that was awesome. It was comfy as and was and more than enough room for me and the missus in width and length (although I wouldn't want to be much taller, I'm approx 185cm). Was real handy if we went to a mates and ended up having a few. Didn't have to worry about a taxi, just jumped in the back!

It also went well offroad. Pretty heavy things, but anything you are going to load up with camping gear is going to be. Safari's are pretty easy to mod as well as far as getting bigger rubber under them goes and theres heaps of off the shelf mods. Not always cheap but built tough.

I've got a SWB Safari now and I'm back to tents. They suck.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

Paint
Driver/Navigator

Postby Paint » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:16 pm

Taz wrote:Fark tenting! They only time you should have to tent is when your tramping :lol: It can limit your days a bit unless you like putting them up in the dark and its pretty miserable putting a tent up in the rain.

my thoughts exactly, unless your staying for atleast 2 nights its pointless putting up a tent, id take one with us but probably wouldnt use it :D

safari might be the way to go.....
whats considered high kms in one of them? see most of them in my price range are up in the 250k range, but then if ya looking after it i spose it doesnt make to much difference, my beamers up to 260k and still going strong.
i was once told and sort of what i go by a rule of thumb if the kms are higher then the engine capacity give it a miss.
engine capacity in thoes safaris are up around the 4 mark.......

Jerry wrote:Keep an eye out for some Welly trips as well, if you don't have a 4wd etc we can sort out a seat for ya. the next training day will be in Feb sometime.

thanks man will do that, will defenitly have a 4wd by then.

safaripete
Hard Yaka

Postby safaripete » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:05 pm

what about this for 5k then spend the rest on recovery gear/improvents, bar work etc

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t259/shanehawkins/my%20truck/

and in wellys too :mrgreen:

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Paint wrote:
Taz wrote:Fark tenting! They only time you should have to tent is when your tramping :lol: It can limit your days a bit unless you like putting them up in the dark and its pretty miserable putting a tent up in the rain.

my thoughts exactly, unless your staying for atleast 2 nights its pointless putting up a tent, id take one with us but probably wouldnt use it :D

safari might be the way to go.....
whats considered high kms in one of them? see most of them in my price range are up in the 250k range, but then if ya looking after it i spose it doesnt make to much difference, my beamers up to 260k and still going strong.
i was once told and sort of what i go by a rule of thumb if the kms are higher then the engine capacity give it a miss.
engine capacity in thoes safaris are up around the 4 mark.......

Jerry wrote:Keep an eye out for some Welly trips as well, if you don't have a 4wd etc we can sort out a seat for ya. the next training day will be in Feb sometime.

thanks man will do that, will defenitly have a 4wd by then.

This thread sorta covers TD42 KM's :lol:
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38045&highlight=td42+km%27s

Always pays to get a leak down to.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:24 am

I have modified the back of my surf so i can sleep in it and it's comfy as, I simply made a false floor in the rear which makes the floor totally flat above the inner guards, it fits 4 tote trays underneath, the rear section is permanent which allows use of the rear seats, when I want to use it overnighting I just remove the rear seat (bottom pieces) fold down the rear seat and put in the other piece of ply and it fits a full length mattress :mrgreen:
Another plus is the tailgate makes a perfect height table and with a tarp up over the rear it's a brilliant setup for overnighting and cooking undercoever :P

To be honest to get exactly what you want that is long enough to sleep in with a solid axle in the front you are limited to LWB cruisers or a safari, I wanted a smaller 4 door diesel truck for the bush/family and the surfs are perfect but IFS, so I put a Prado front end in, presto best of both worlds :P
Here's the build thread if you want a read

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 18&t=13066

Here's one I spotted on TM removeable top, V6, and solid axle
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 937434.htm
I hate signatures

Paint
Driver/Navigator

Postby Paint » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:00 am

hosehustler wrote:Image

dude thats pretty much exactly wat i was thinking, been looking at a few safaris/patrols and think i will go down that road.

doggoneit
Bush Crasher

Postby doggoneit » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:11 am

Hi, if your out in Kapiti give me a yell. I have a great LWB safari, manual, all bar work, winch, new 50mm ome lift, new wheels and tyres, 208,000 km - I would consider parting with it for 9k as I may look around for a GU. Cheers

Jacko
Hard Yaka

Postby Jacko » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:50 am

got the same kinda setup in the landcruiser....(used to have a swb safari, but went to the lwb landcruiser for this reason)

doggoneit
Bush Crasher

Postby doggoneit » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi Turoa, here are some pictures. The only downside with interior is the drivers seat tear they all seem to go there - was going to put wrx seats in but haven't found any yet. Oh yeah some are not keen on the brown - I like to think of it as the new black. The back looks dirty only because I had a bail of pea straw in there the other day and the cargo barrier etc is removeable. Send me a pm if you want to drive out to kapiti one day. I also work in Wellington and drive it in most days. Cheers

gimmemud
Hard Yaka

Postby gimmemud » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:44 am

How about an 84 solid axle surf with a modern 91 surf body and commodore v6 engine? No bar work at the moment and the engine has a miss. Moved to aussie so gonna get it all finished and mint before i come back for christmas so i can go on a road trip in january then sell it. Just another option, but wont be forsale till after chrsitmas about the 9th
1996 3.4V6 Surf that was suppose to stay stock
2013 6.4 litre HEMI V8 Chrysler 300

Paint
Driver/Navigator

Postby Paint » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:38 am

gimmemud wrote:How about an 84 solid axle surf with a modern 91 surf body and commodore v6 engine? No bar work at the moment and the engine has a miss. Moved to aussie so gonna get it all finished and mint before i come back for christmas so i can go on a road trip in january then sell it. Just another option, but wont be forsale till after chrsitmas about the 9th

if where still looking id be keen to have a nosey, but i hope we will have somthing before then
going to have a look at doggoneit's safari today :)

eritate
Winch master

Postby eritate » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:54 pm

Paint
Driver/Navigator

Postby Paint » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:33 am

eritate wrote:Hey mate

Check this safari out

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 17&t=18974

Cheers

cheers man id be all over it if it were a manual, wonder how much a manual conversion would be.........

im looking at a few on trademe although not in as good condition as your one and not with ks as low as yours :?

Windsurfer0206
Hard Yaka

Postby Windsurfer0206 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:42 pm

Ive got a 1985 gold Toyota surf with 171000 kms. Wanting 3500 ono.
Has Hilux rear leafs
Has add-a-leaf in the front
AVM Manual Locking front hubs
Has air shocks in the rear
Has longer Monroe gas shocks in front (as originals wouldn’t extend fully, have fully compressed front and new shocks do not bottom out)
Have extended front brake lines (way longer than needed)
Homemade snorkel
Changed the engine from 3y to 3y-e (so fuel injected now more fuel efficient better throttle response and no longer stalls on hills)
Has W-series gearbox fitted (cost me $750 for box)
Has Toyota LSD in rear which works great
Has 31/10.5 Savero Steel Belted tyre's with heaps of tread left
Has external water temperature gauge with blue backlight fitted.
Has CD player hooked up to Pioneer front speakers
Has sunroof and also thins is the model which the whole back is removable great for summer!!
Has lights in back to light up the inside rear of vehicle great for camping (able to turn on from driver’s seat or in rear of vehicle.
Has never been used Dunlop 30 x 10 inch spare

Spares:
Spare G52 4-speed box very tight
Diesel alternator
2x starter motors (not sure condition)
Spare 3y fuel tank with no built in pump (was going to run duel tanks eventually)
3 15x7inch steel rims
1 x spare Savero Steel Belted Tyre (was going to replace spare on vehicle with it)
Also have Ali Arc Nudge bar with 2 x 100 watt fog lights, and two spare cheap fog lights.

also have some bars and stuff which i was going to make a bullbar with.

Has been a great runner for me has a few dings in the rear chrome bumper and a few spots where there is different color paint from scratches ive painted over to prevent any rust happening.
There is no rust on it and is very sound and loads of fun to drive round town and especially go 4x4ing in.
Plan was to put a 3rz in it which is why I put the W-series box in it but work has taken over and I no longer use it for 4x4ing and think of it as a waist just being driven on the road and would rather see it being used for its main purpose!!!! Really hate to see it go.
All running gear oils just recently changed with high end oil!!

If your interested pop me a pm with your email address and ill email you some pics.

Windsurfer0206
Hard Yaka

Postby Windsurfer0206 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:57 am

here is the link to listing with pics!!

chris

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 17&t=18997

Return to “4WD's Forsale / Wanted”