Dace-lux gettin revamped

gimmemud
Hard Yaka

Re: Holden-lux

Postby gimmemud » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:01 pm

DBWRacing wrote:Would like to say this is a progress report but have done fark all but think about it

Plans have changed, I have decided to stick with the manual, works out cheaper and easier, as well as I prefer manual and should be more fun

I have been considering fuel supply, I had planed to have a low pressure pump supply fuel to a intank commy pump mounted inside a 3 litre surge tank.

But, will I need a surge tank? there have been plenty of conversions done to injected donks in Surfs and hiluxs, What fuel systems did ya use?

Cheers
Dace

Mine has a surge tank all done by the last owner, but i thought there is no need for one and that they are only used on carbys cause they don't like angles

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:07 pm

I had a surge tank on my rally car, needed cause when the high pressure pick up isn't gettin fuel, ie under heavy braking, acc or cornering, the fuel system loses pressure and the engine runs lean.

just not sure on how good the pick up is in the hiluxs fuel tank, weather there will be problems on hill climbs, sidelings etc

could I trouble ya for some pics of ya surge tank gimmemud?
Got a Daihatsu Something, hasn't got a Daihatsu engine.... or diffs.... and it doesn't have windows.... or doors.... but its got tyres.... :)

gimmemud
Hard Yaka

Postby gimmemud » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:43 pm

Sure
My system goes: Fuel tank with commodore pump - 1st filter - surge tank
Surge tank - fuel pump - 2nd filter - engine
Engine - surge tank
Surge tank - fuel tank
My surge tank would hold around 1 litre.

haynzy
Hard Yaka

Postby haynzy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:14 pm

DBWRacing wrote:Would like to say this is a progress report but have done fark all but think about it

Plans have changed, I have decided to stick with the manual, works out cheaper and easier, as well as I prefer manual and should be more fun

I have been considering fuel supply, I had planed to have a low pressure pump supply fuel to a intank commy pump mounted inside a 3 litre surge tank.

But, will I need a surge tank? there have been plenty of conversions done to injected donks in Surfs and hiluxs, What fuel systems did ya use?

Cheers
Dace

Mine is a super cheap inline fuel pump mounted straight off the tank and uses the exsisting hard line all the way back to the engine bay. Never had fuel starving even with an empty tank.
The advise given to me was electric pumps push better than they pull
swb lux with 7mge, trailgear crossover, trailgear rear lift kit, custom front bar, runva 1200lb winch, custom snorkel, 37" Mtrs, custom deck, lockright in the rear.

Dace
Hard Yaka

Diesel Dace goes GM v6!!!

Postby Dace » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Time to re-ignite this thread!!!

The time is near, I have sold my 5L so no goin back now.

The plans are....

Fit the 3.8 using the Toyota 5 spd box and an adaptor plate.
Use the Diesel Flywheel with an adaptor and ALOT of lightening (any ideas on what a good final weight would be)

mount a HP fuel pump at the rear under the deck
or
mount it up front after the Diesel filter, although this depends on two things, one that the diesel filter is compatible with petrol? and two that ya could use the diesel pump to prime the HP pump? (thoughts?)

changin the stock LN106 steerin to crossover steerin using a varietly of pieces and ideas combined into a budget setup

on top of this, will be removing the well side and building a flatdeck to replace it, bend up a rear roll bar which will also be utalised as a res tank for the onboard air which will also be gettin fitted

and lastly, fitting a virtual lift to the front guards

thiss weekends mission is to thourly waterblast the mud off the beast and get the engine ready to romove next weekend (when I can borrow a engine crane

so, thoughts? suggestions?
Got a Daihatsu Something, hasn't got a Daihatsu engine.... or diffs.... and it doesn't have windows.... or doors.... but its got tyres.... :)

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:58 pm

did ya get it clean today chap?
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Yeah, just finished waterblastin it and put back in shed, tomorrow, the stripin begins.... then I will start pullin the truck apart!!! :oops:

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi Dace
It will be good to have another rebuild thread to follow and I will be watching with interest

Good luck

Cheers Richard
Never say die, up man and try

Dace
Hard Yaka

Re: Diesel Dace goes GM v6!!!

Postby Dace » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:03 pm

Well, progress has been made, engine is out and sold, dolero's in the bank.

slight change of plan, after viewing the starter recess in the bell housing, it ain't gonna work with the holdens layout so plan has changed to using the auto and adapting the t/case on to the end of it and see how that goes.

still waiting for peoples opinions on my plans (never thought I would see that statement on ORE!!!)

Dace wrote:Time to re-ignite this thread!!!

The plans are....

Use the Diesel Flywheel with an adaptor and ALOT of lightening (any ideas on what a good final weight would be)

or
mount it up front after the Diesel filter, although this depends on two things, one that the diesel filter is compatible with petrol? and two that ya could use the diesel pump to prime the HP pump? (thoughts?)

changin the stock LN106 steerin to crossover steerin using a varietly of pieces and ideas combined into a budget setup

on top of this, will be removing the well side and building a flatdeck to replace it, bend up a rear roll bar which will also be utalised as a res tank for the onboard air which will also be gettin fitted

thiss weekends mission is to thourly waterblast the mud off the beast and get the engine ready to romove next weekend (when I can borrow a engine crane

haynzy
Hard Yaka

Postby haynzy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:38 pm

Dace wrote:Well, progress has been made, engine is out and sold, dolero's in the bank.

slight change of plan, after viewing the starter recess in the bell housing, it ain't gonna work with the holdens layout so plan has changed to using the auto and adapting the t/case on to the end of it and see how that goes.

still waiting for peoples opinions on my plans (never thought I would see that statement on ORE!!!)

Dace wrote:Time to re-ignite this thread!!!

The plans are....

or

auto or not I will still waste you 8)
swb lux with 7mge, trailgear crossover, trailgear rear lift kit, custom front bar, runva 1200lb winch, custom snorkel, 37" Mtrs, custom deck, lockright in the rear.

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Dace wrote:slight change of plan, after viewing the starter recess in the bell housing, it ain't gonna work with the holdens layout so plan has changed to using the auto and adapting the t/case on to the end of it and see how that goes.

I know nothing about holden conversions but is that trying to adapt your toymotor bellhousing onto the holden block, cant you use a holden bell housing and adapt your gearbox to that or even better reach deeper into your pockets and buy a Marks or Dellow bellhousing kit? :mrgreen:

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:35 am

you dont want dace to dig too deep into his pockets, unless you want pocket fluff :lol:

wisard2
Hard Yaka

Postby wisard2 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:17 pm

badnuz wrote:you dont want dace to dig too deep into his pockets, unless you want pocket fluff :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
92 swb Pajero ute. 3 litre V6 manual. 33" Mud wranglers, Diff breathers, Snorkle, 9500lbs electric winch, Rear diff lock, CB & PRS radio's.

timotheus
Hard Yaka

Postby timotheus » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:01 pm

By 'virtual lift' you mean cutting the guards right?

Even bending the seams over at the base of the front inner guards has been tagged as a no-no by the authorities. You see it done a lot for clearance, but be careful. Something about 'structural integrity'.

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:18 pm

timotheus wrote:By 'virtual lift' you mean cutting the guards right?

Even bending the seams over at the base of the front inner guards has been tagged as a no-no by the authorities. You see it done a lot for clearance, but be careful. Something about 'structural integrity'.

Structurally, my guards have been 'bumped' so many times, a sheet of cardboard would be an improvement. The adjustments would be to the rear edge where the tyre keeps catching and to open it up a bit for the 35's that are in the lux's future :twisted:

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:21 pm

badnuz wrote:you dont want dace to dig too deep into his pockets, unless you want pocket fluff :lol:

I wish I had deep pockets, then I could afford to own a cruiser like yours :wink:

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:02 am

well both ours currently have no motor in them.... :evil: :? :(

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:08 pm

progress report....

will, fark all really, just heap of contemplation!!!!

have pulled the old diesel out which created this

A huge hole where a v6 engine could fit!!!

the transfer case is on the floor waitin for my auto trans adaptor to arrive, so in the mean time, am lookin at the steering

now, I have started puttin in the Surf box brackets but need advice on locating

does the steering shaft need to be in line with the steering box?

how much clearance do i need between the shaft end of the pitman arm to the chassis

and the ball end to the chassis? note I will be replacing the pitman arm with one that will take a ball joint

Steve_t647
Hard Yaka

Postby Steve_t647 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:00 am

I have not done a commy swap myself but did go crossover in my hilux, I would leave the power steering box till you get the engine and eng mounts made up.

You need the power steering box and the arm's to clear each other through their movement and clear the sump on the motor, are you modifying the commy sump and pickup for steep uphills?

Mine was moved as far forward as possible and remove the radiator because well umm welder close to radiator and it developed a umm hole :oops:
Legal disclaimer: Any information I may have provided is worth exactly what you paid me for it.

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:23 am

ask nic (comilux) to take a picture (and measurements) of his he had to mod his sump a fair bit to make it all work
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experiance!

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:49 pm

hmmm, I was hoping to get ths acomplished while I was waiting for all the other parts to arrive but it does make sence to wait till the engine is in place etc :roll:

Well, I will have to start pullin the deck off and workin on the flatdeck then!!

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:01 pm

OK, time for an update

A gift arrived from the US about 3 weeks ago, the adaptor to butt the holden slush box to the Lux transfer case.

Spent most the christmas weekend craefully pullin apart the gearbox to replace the output shaft with the shorter one out of the kit.

Fark me, what a mission, big thanks to Chopper for the DIY thread from when he did his.

Any way, have just finished reassembling all the clutches and shit, now just gotta sort the 8 ball bearings in the valve body (not lookin forward to that :? ) and bolt the rest of the pieces back togethor

Cheers
Dace.

Bolo
2XL

Postby Bolo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:06 am

pics pics pics :mrgreen:
Your name is Bolo and it will stay that way until you have earnt the right to be called your real name........................ Bolo

nstacey
Hard Yaka

Postby nstacey » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:32 pm

85 Hilux single cab
02 Grand Vitara

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:48 pm

nstacey wrote:some motivation for you Dace
http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/video/a ... -hillclimb

ohhh, yeah, could I have some privacy please :oops:

mudnutz
Ol' Green Coal Range

Postby mudnutz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Hope your not having grubby thoughts about my truck Dace :shock: :shock: :shock:

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:22 pm

mudnutz wrote:Hope your not having grubby thoughts about my truck Dace :shock: :shock: :shock:

his thoughts are probably the same as mine

"look at that smoky thing in front of me, I can smell the oil burning from 4 cars lengths back"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

mudnutz
Ol' Green Coal Range

Postby mudnutz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:41 pm

skid wrote:
mudnutz wrote:Hope your not having grubby thoughts about my truck Dace :shock: :shock: :shock:

his thoughts are probably the same as mine

"look at that smoky thing in front of me, I can smell the oil burning from 4 cars lengths back"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SMOKE??? I think your deep breathing may have fogged up your windscreen :wink:

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:27 am

small update, the Auto is now attached to the Transfer case and after a small sub thread, the next step is to cut the trans tunnell out, fit the trans about 2 inchs higher and fabricate a lowprofile TC cross member, oh and re-fit the tunnell to cover the trans

what could possible go wrong :?

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:42 pm

Right.... progress!

The interior has been attacked, center console,front and rear seats are on the floor next to the engine and the carpet is sittin on the deck

have cut out 95% of the trans tunnel forward of where the TC case sits.

Now I need some pics of someones dbl cab under the floor behind the TC case to see clearance around it and the rear drive shaft

Cheers
Dace

Return to “Projects / Mod's”