Dace-lux gettin revamped

Dace
Hard Yaka

Dace-lux gettin revamped

Postby Dace » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:00 am

Well, the diesels days are numbered, the lux is gettin an upgrade to a Holden 3.8 v6

I will post up here as progress is made but any help, info or hints would be very appreciated

I plan to use the holden auto box and adapt the transfer box on

ps, the toyota 5l (3litre non turbo) engine will be for sale, approx 150k, new cambelt, rear crank seal, front crank cam seal and near new clutch, open to offers
Last edited by Dace on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got a Daihatsu Something, hasn't got a Daihatsu engine.... or diffs.... and it doesn't have windows.... or doors.... but its got tyres.... :)

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Re: Holden-lux

Postby Sadam_Husain » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:42 am

Good stuff Dace :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

madaz068
Hard Yaka

Postby madaz068 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 am

So you will have it ready for QBW and show us all how to drive :wink: :wink:

Good shit Dace :D

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:37 am

madaz068 wrote:So you will have it ready for QBW and show us all how to drive :wink: :wink:

I already do that, gotta show Jaffa next
Got a Daihatsu Something, hasn't got a Daihatsu engine.... or diffs.... and it doesn't have windows.... or doors.... but its got tyres.... :)

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:46 am

DBWRacing wrote:
madaz068 wrote:So you will have it ready for QBW and show us all how to drive :wink: :wink:

do what? the good shit?
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:22 am

badnuz wrote:
DBWRacing wrote:

do what? the good shit?

Show you how to drive!!!

abbo
Hard Yaka

Postby abbo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:41 pm

Well done dave... :mrgreen: But have you taken a auto out for a drive off road before you do the change over....???? you may not like it....cheers abbo :mrgreen:
Don't have 4wd.

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:31 pm

What happened to the lexus that was going in it :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:21 pm

DBWRacing wrote:Well, the diesels days are numbered, the lux is gettin an upgrade to a Holden 3.8 v6

I will post up here as progress is made but any help, info or hints would be very appreciated

ps, the toyota 5l (3litre non turbo) engine will be for sale, approx 150k, new cambelt, rear crank seal, front crank cam seal and near new clutch, open to offers

What is the reason behind that decision ?

I personally think it is a backward step so am interested to know. Why not Supercharge the 5L ?

Just curious and not trying to argue, Its your decision.

Cheers Richard
Never say die, up man and try

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:24 pm

theres always the 1kzte?
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

haynzy
Hard Yaka

Postby haynzy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Bulletproof wrote:
DBWRacing wrote:Well, the diesels days are numbered, the lux is gettin an upgrade to a Holden 3.8 v6

I personally think it is a backward step so am interested to know. Why not Supercharge the 5L ?

Cheers Richard

awww comin on richard, when you come up to the modern land we will brainwash you into the petrol world :lol: :lol:
Im lust waitin for the coils and duals and other trick stuff seen how he is hangin out with jafa :lol:
swb lux with 7mge, trailgear crossover, trailgear rear lift kit, custom front bar, runva 1200lb winch, custom snorkel, 37" Mtrs, custom deck, lockright in the rear.

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:29 pm

Bulletproof wrote:I personally think it is a backward step so am interested to know. Why not Supercharge the 5L ?

Cheers Richard

Coz were all individuals and have different tastes, do different things and have different expectations.... some like the coal burners and some like the loud pedal :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There are guys in their coal burning Safaris that can out perform my truck but I still like my loud pedal 8)

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:39 pm

Sadam_Husain wrote:
Bulletproof wrote:I personally think it is a backward step so am interested to know. Why not Supercharge the 5L ?

Cheers Richard

Coz were all individuals and have different tastes, do different things and have different expectations.... some like the coal burners and some like the loud pedal :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There are guys in their coal burning Safaris that can out perform my truck but I still like my loud pedal 8)

yours sounds better atleast marty. Goes better than 98% of the coal burners ive seen too :wink:

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:40 pm

Bulletproof wrote:

Cheers Richard

I had seriously considered the SC option but the main thing in my mind is the 5L sell for between 3500 and 4500 so if for some reason ya lunch an engine, thats the bill to fix it. the holden v6 I have sourced only has 100k on the clock and is less than 1/4 the price the 5L is

also, the v6 is double the kw and torque of the 5L and is made to make those figures, the 5L was never made to make that power so winding it up using forced induction pushes the boundary's and compromises the reliability , hence all the gauges you use to monitor your setup. which is fine, but I don't want to have to worry about all that when I am out having fun

it would be interesting to see the difference a more powerful engine would make to your Hilux with its extensive mods :wink:

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:49 pm

DBWRacing wrote:
Bulletproof wrote:

Cheers Richard

I had seriously considered the SC option but the main thing in my mind is the 5L sell for between 3500 and 4500 so if for some reason ya lunch an engine, thats the bill to fix it. the holden v6 I have sourced only has 100k on the clock and is less than 1/4 the price the 5L is

also, the v6 is double the kw and torque of the 5L and is made to make those figures, the 5L was never made to make that power so winding it up using forced induction pushes the boundary's and compromises the reliability , hence all the gauges you use to monitor your setup. which is fine, but I don't want to have to worry about all that when I am out having fun

it would be interesting to see the difference a more powerful engine would make to your Hilux with its extensive mods :wink:

A good bit of logic and all the best with the build. :D :D :D :D

I will help you guys out with the trip at the end of the year so may get to see it go.

Cheers Richard

haynzy
Hard Yaka

Postby haynzy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:54 pm

I dont have the torque of a commy but have never been outperformed by a diesel but have been relied on a few times to rescue them. diesels are better in water and I find im consantly trin to stop mine from takin off but that all said on low traction tracks with mud or clay I wouldnt have it anyway
swb lux with 7mge, trailgear crossover, trailgear rear lift kit, custom front bar, runva 1200lb winch, custom snorkel, 37" Mtrs, custom deck, lockright in the rear.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:30 pm

DBWRacing wrote:
Bulletproof wrote:

Cheers Richard

true true true, not to mention the simplicity of them holden 3.8s, engine bays dont resemble a birdsnest of cables, wiring and plumbing, why go for a SC 5l to get the same power as a stock 3.8, good luck with the build, i will be watching closely, just waiting for my 3y to kick the bucket then i will be going the 3.8 aswell

curly12
Hard Yaka

Postby curly12 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:30 am

Sadam_Husain wrote:There are guys in their coal burning Safaris that can out perform my truck but I still like my loud pedal 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mind you I don't want to try that one again, :oops: :oops: not till my turbo is fitted anyway :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Farken homeless..................................

Slideways
Hard Yaka

Postby Slideways » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:45 am

So which 3.8 are you going for? They'd range from 127kw (better torque) to 190kw's (better top end).

Personally I'd go for the VP or VR motor and fit a supercharger :wink:
1985 Toyota Landcruiser BJ73 with 13B-T

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:07 am

Slideways wrote:So which 3.8 are you going for? They'd range from 127kw (better torque) to 190kw's (better top end).

I have got a VN motor, auto, loom, computer etc, about 100k on the clock.

am planing to use a Marks 4wd transfer case adapter, not sure about there harness and speedo signal thing, both are quite pricey

Slideways
Hard Yaka

Postby Slideways » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:26 am

DBWRacing wrote:
Slideways wrote:So which 3.8 are you going for? They'd range from 127kw (better torque) to 190kw's (better top end).

I have got a VN motor, auto, loom, computer etc, about 100k on the clock.

am planing to use a Marks 4wd transfer case adapter, not sure about there harness and speedo signal thing, both are quite pricey

Sweet 8) They are basically the same motor as VP. Only real change was in the water outlet from the head, the engine temp sensor position and the coil packs are better in the series 2 VN onwards (can just swap them).

Mine is pretty good at hauling my heavy arse BJ73 Cruiser but needs that little bit more power (planning to fit an SC14). I'd be careful with the wiring because if not set up right with using all the sensors correctly it'll overfuel like a bastard. Mine does about 5k's to the litre at the moment :roll:

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:46 pm

before buying a marks kit, you could ask an engineering firm to do it, they are quite simple to adadpt. May be worth ringing howat industries and asking his price. I was going to do my own adapter when the plan was to whack a v6 in my hilux.

Not sure why you need a speedo signal thing or harness from marks. The VN gearboxs are non electronic units and you can wire up a commy 6 with one eye closed...

rangimotors
Hard Yaka

Postby rangimotors » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:56 pm

turoa wrote:before buying a marks kit, you could ask an engineering firm to do it, they are quite simple to adadpt. May be worth ringing howat industries and asking his price. I was going to do my own adapter when the plan was to whack a v6 in my hilux.

Not sure why you need a speedo signal thing or harness from marks. The VN gearboxs are non electronic units and you can wire up a commy 6 with one eye closed...

yea have a chat to nic aka COMILUX on here his was auto for a start then it shit the auto and he had a new one machined to fit, then it shit another auto and he got sick of it and bought an adaptor kit and bolted on a manual box. Im not sure he may even still have an auto for one thats been machined so would need no adaptor plate. Good luck with it i was a pretty big suporter of the old supra engine until nic got his v6 they are a very impressive but simple engine.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experiance!

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:19 pm

turoa wrote:before buying a marks kit, you could ask an engineering firm to do it, they are quite simple to adadpt. May be worth ringing howat industries and asking his price. I was going to do my own adapter when the plan was to whack a v6 in my hilux.

This is from the Marks site re the speed sensor

The VSS is vital for correct operation of the following functions:

* The ECM will shut off the fuel during deceleration. The VSS must be operating correctly for this to occur.
* The ECM has an in-built memory, it learns the correct amount of fuel to deliver under certain conditions. The VSS plays a vital role in determining when these conditions occur.
* The Commodore automatic transmission has an in-built torque converter clutch, which reduces the efficiency loss of the automatic transmission by manually coupling the input shaft to the engine, under certain load conditions. These conditions are met when the engine coolant temperature is above 42°C, the vehicle speed is above 72 Kph, and the throttle is open. Without a vehicle speed reference this function is not possible.

after reading that, I intend to use one of these

And with my engine having the complete, un-cut loom, I intend to wire it my self and run aftermarket water temp, oil pressure gauges and tach

I have PMed Mr O to hopefully get some tips from his install

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:32 pm

J_Dub wrote:
why go for a SC 5l to get the same power as a stock 3.8,

The figures people quote are the max KWs that are developed at a certain rev. These are irrelevant to 4 wheeling as the figures that count are the torque and power at 1000rpm and that is where a supercharged motor has a big advantage.

Does the torque line climb quickly and then level off or does it go level first and then climb quickly like a lot of turbo engines ?
This is what determines whether it is any good for 4 wheeling.It needs to be there a low rpms to be any use.

Cheers Richard

gimmemud
Hard Yaka

Postby gimmemud » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:14 pm

Bulletproof wrote:The figures people quote are the max KWs that are developed at a certain rev. These are irrelevant to 4 wheeling as the figures that count are the torque and power at 1000rpm and that is where a supercharged motor has a big advantage.

Does the torque line climb quickly and then level off or does it go level first and then climb quickly like a lot of turbo engines ?
This is what determines whether it is any good for 4 wheeling.It needs to be there a low rpms to be any use.

Cheers Richard

I think that's why people love them in their 4wd's because they Do have low down power.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:57 am

The figures people quote are the max KWs that are developed at a certain rev. These are irrelevant to 4 wheeling as the figures that count are the torque and power at 1000rpm and that is where a supercharged motor has a big advantage.

Cheers Richard[/quote]

someone needs to find torque figuers or a graph for the 3.8, they got ooodles of low down power, which im sure is why they such a popular transplant. Obviviously Richard your setup has proven itself and your happy with it and wouldnt have it any other way, which is cool, but you are probably a little biased towards that, and fair enough, you got no reason to doubt your setup, doesnt mean the 3.8 cant be as good or beter.... Ive owned a few 3.8 Holdens, manuals, and they shat on most mildly worked jappa torboes, even the first inj holden v8s, so quick off the mark, nearly getting 100ks in 2nd gear, sure the turboes and 8s passed me at the higher end but low down they were friken quick

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 pm

J_Dub wrote: Obviviously Richard your setup has proven itself and your happy with it and wouldnt have it any other way, which is cool, but you are probably a little biased towards that, and fair enough, you got no reason to doubt your setup, doesnt mean the 3.8 cant be as good or beter....

The 3.8 may be better than the 5L ,but in the South Island petrols are not really an option because of the deep river crossings we do.

Petrols on a trip are too temperamental and only cause problems and hold everyone up.

Cheers Richard

Slideways
Hard Yaka

Postby Slideways » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:33 am

DBWRacing wrote:
The VSS is vital for correct operation of the following functions:

* The ECM will shut off the fuel during deceleration. The VSS must be operating correctly for this to occur.
* The ECM has an in-built memory, it learns the correct amount of fuel to deliver under certain conditions. The VSS plays a vital role in determining when these conditions occur.
* The Commodore automatic transmission has an in-built torque converter clutch, which reduces the efficiency loss of the automatic transmission by manually coupling the input shaft to the engine, under certain load conditions. These conditions are met when the engine coolant temperature is above 42°C, the vehicle speed is above 72 Kph, and the throttle is open. Without a vehicle speed reference this function is not possible.

after reading that, I intend to use one of these

And with my engine having the complete, un-cut loom, I intend to wire it my self and run aftermarket water temp, oil pressure gauges and tach

I have PMed Mr O to hopefully get some tips from his install

I wonder what the VSS unit actually is? At over $400NZ its pretty pricey but then again, the amount I spend on fuel. It may be the answer to my fuel ecomony problems.

If you look at this wiring diagram, I wonder if it would be possible to dismantle a holden speedo/trip meter and remove what ever it is that is needed? It looks pretty simple, basicly a single wire from the Vehicle Speed Sensor, to the speedo/trip meter then to the ECU.

Dace
Hard Yaka

Postby Dace » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:57 pm

Would like to say this is a progress report but have done fark all but think about it

Plans have changed, I have decided to stick with the manual, works out cheaper and easier, as well as I prefer manual and should be more fun

I have been considering fuel supply, I had planed to have a low pressure pump supply fuel to a intank commy pump mounted inside a 3 litre surge tank.

But, will I need a surge tank? there have been plenty of conversions done to injected donks in Surfs and hiluxs, What fuel systems did ya use?

Cheers
Dace

Return to “Projects / Mod's”