FJ40 roll cage, power steering, and disc brake front end

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Re: FJ40 roll cage, power steering, and disc brake front end

Postby cooksworld » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:55 pm

Okay... I was cleaning up all the components and I was hoping I could get away with re-kitting the calipers but the pistons are seized and I can't get them out... so

Anyone out there (pref in Wellington region) have a spare set of calipers for a solid disc braked hilux or similar that they'd like to sell???

(I could always do a swap with someone looking at upgrading from solid disc to ventilated - I have the calipers and discs (need skimming) from a 60 series that should bolt on.)

Mine...

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:01 pm

give Dwayne a txt on 021467885
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 pm

skid wrote:give Dwayne a txt on 021467885

Cheers ;-) Heard his name mentioned before - will track him down tomorrow.

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:04 pm

cooksworld wrote:
skid wrote:give Dwayne a txt on 021467885

Cheers ;-) Heard his name mentioned before - will track him down tomorrow.

Nope - tried him but he's only got calipers for ventilated discs...

mickey
Bush Crasher

Postby mickey » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:16 pm

[quote="cooksworld"]Okay... I was cleaning up all the components and I was hoping I could get away with re-kitting the calipers but the pistons are seized and I can't get them out... so

Anyone out there (pref in Wellington region) have a spare set of calipers for a solid disc braked hilux or similar that they'd like to sell???

(I could always do a swap with someone looking at upgrading from solid disc to ventilated - I have the calipers and discs (need skimming) from a 60 series that should bolt on.)

The calipers with S12-8 were used on 60 and 70 series fronts, not just hilux's.
So they shouldn't be to hard to find.

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:27 pm

mickey wrote:[
The calipers with S12-8 were used on 60 and 70 series fronts, not just hilux's.
So they shouldn't be to hard to find.

Great... I'll widen the search! Thanks for the info ;-)

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Gave Lineside a call and they don't have any in stock and they rarely get them these days. Took the calipers into ABC in Wgtn and they said they could redo them but was going to cost around $400... eek! Will keep look for some good 2nd hand ones of look at bolt on spacers to offset the wheels I guess and use my 60 series parts...

sig
Jeep Jeep

Postby sig » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:38 pm

think i might have some kickin around.not sure what condition thou.you are more than welcome to come and have a look :D
FJ40,INJECTED SB 406 CHEV, LOCKER,35 SIMEXS,warn winch , 80seies vx 4.2 24v turbo diesel ,fr and rear lockers 3" exh top mount intercooler, 021 724482

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Im pretty sure I only paid $60 for the seal kit from toyota (Had all seals for both calipers except the small square orings between the two halves) . They can prob get new pistons too.
Let me know if ya need help getting them out an honing the bores :wink:
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Fakey wrote:Im pretty sure I only paid $60 for the seal kit from toyota (Had all seals for both calipers except the small square orings between the two halves) . They can prob get new pistons too.
Let me know if ya need help getting them out an honing the bores :wink:

Was thinking of soaking them in something to free things up a bit, then have a go at them over the w/end. Is there a tool around that fits into the piston, then spreads out to clamp onto the inside so you can get some leverage to get them out as the pistons are fairly much all the way in?

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:45 pm

cooksworld wrote:

Was thinking of soaking them in something to free things up a bit, then have a go at them over the w/end. Is there a tool around that fits into the piston, then spreads out to clamp onto the inside so you can get some leverage to get them out as the pistons are fairly much all the way in?

Not sure I just used a porta power pump with fittings adapted to suit the fitting in the caliper, would need them put back together tho

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Fakey wrote:
cooksworld wrote:

Not sure I just used a porta power pump with fittings adapted to suit the fitting in the caliper, would need them put back together tho

Interesting approach - I'd read on one forum that someone used a grease gun to do something similar. Guess I'll experiment - thinking about your approach - I've got enough master cylinders around to connect one to a caliper, put it in a vice and see what gives.

mickey
Bush Crasher

Postby mickey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:26 pm

cooksworld wrote:
Fakey wrote:
cooksworld wrote:

Interesting approach - I'd read on one forum that someone used a grease gun to do something similar. Guess I'll experiment - thinking about your approach - I've got enough master cylinders around to connect one to a caliper, put it in a vice and see what gives.

i blew mine out with an air compressor when i did mine, if they're still assembled put a piece of wood between them to stop the pistons flying out. If in pieces a little bit of air at a time in the holes.

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Compressed air works to get pistons out that are only tight, I doubt that itll do anything to those calipers, thats why I ended up using the porta power on my ones (still took quite a bit of pressure to free them).
I tried to pop them out when they were still attached to the brake lines but was too hard by myself, in a vice could work tho

The wood between the pistons is a good idea, or g clamps work well too

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Fakey wrote:The wood between the pistons is a good idea, or g clamps work well too

Yip was thinking of something similar to work out the pistons one at a time.

Also - did you use Ken for the certification? I hear Dave Ward has retired and he was the cert guy that I'd been chatting to last year. Was Ken okay to work with? Did he come to you or did you have to get the vehicle to him?

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:53 pm

cooksworld wrote:Yip was thinking of something similar to work out the pistons one at a time.

Also - did you use Ken for the certification? I hear Dave Ward has retired and he was the cert guy that I'd been chatting to last year. Was Ken okay to work with? Did he come to you or did you have to get the vehicle to him?

Yeah Ken was really good, an easy to deal with. You will have to take it to him an leave it with him for a few days probably as hes usually really busy.

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Fri May 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Finally... I've sourced my calipers - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =285541688 and they arrived today ;-) Things can finally progress.

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Sun May 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Okay.. drivers side is all sorted. I had a couple of goes at getting the rear sorted - spacing the studs out correctly, tidying up a few loose ends and doing the final bolt together. The best thing is no spacers are required ;-) Up front pulled the wheel off and out with the grinder and sanding disc - smoothed the inner most fin on the calliper back a bit and now have approx 2mm clearance between the rim and calliper.

I was then going to drive the vehicle out of the garage to pull out the passenger side axle (garage is only 3m wide), but the battery was flat... a sign it's been sitting around far too long - so put the charger on and tidied up the garage as there no chance of pushing the vehicle up the ramp to get it out.

Feels like I'm finally making some progress. Also had a play with my new tube notching tool that arrived in the post... if only I had one of these while making my cage. It will be handy when I make up the new front bars, side bars, and back bar work.

... no photos - forgot to take the camera with me.

2MEKE
Hard Yaka

Postby 2MEKE » Sun May 09, 2010 9:53 pm

cooksworld wrote:Also had a play with my new tube notching tool that arrived in the post

Which one did you get?

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Sun May 09, 2010 10:21 pm

2MEKE wrote:
cooksworld wrote:Also had a play with my new tube notching tool that arrived in the post

Which one did you get?

From this crowd... Never used one before but this one seems fine for the price (somewhat basic but made a few okay angle cuts). http://www.testntools.co.nz/pipe-and-tube-notcher-for-drill-press-or-power-drill-p30226.html

Much better the my angle grinder approach that I've been using up till now ;-)

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Fri May 21, 2010 12:10 am

A couple of photos from tonight - started on the passengers side brakes:

And comparing the earlier hilux callipers for the solid disc (on the rear) versus the later model hilux/surf ones for the front:

... that's all

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Sun May 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Okay... managed to head down to the garage this evening and finish off the rear and removed this 60 series calliper up front but didn't quite get to finish the front as I need to trim the backing plate to clear the larger callipers... almost finished though!

Some photos:

putting in a thread in to hold the disc to hub

studs and spacer washers in place.

all bolted together

60 series callipers, hubs etc...

larger surf/hilux callipers...

Also did as measure up for mounting another fan on the radiator, it already has a pusher up front but might look at a sucker no the other side to keep it a bit cooler.

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:40 pm

Right... some more time spent in the garage, bullbar time:

Old:

Removed:

Mockup:

Remounting the winch:

Bending up the bars (decided to keep part of the original)

(and yes, it's a home made pipe bender with a 12 ton jack)

Had to rework the mounting of the bottom section of the bullbars so that the front section can be removed to get the winch out easily... I'll put a large bolt through the plates and tube to keep it in place.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:23 pm

was going to say "where did you get the tube bender", But you and it work well together, nice work :D
Last edited by coxsy on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:43 pm

coxsy wrote:was goind to say "where did you get the tube bender", But you and it work well together, nice work :D

It's lasted surprisingly well - this would be it's third or fourth roll cage etc. It's actually a real pig to use and I'm often surprised when things come out as close as they do... as long as you're not after a 'mm' perfect job it's fine. Swearing at it helps I find ;-)

It did split apart on this build but nothing a little more welding and steel couldn't fix. These days you can buy benders for next to nothing. I think I paid $120+ for each of my 2 formers... but that was 15 years ago now - before TradeMe!

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Nice work. How ya liking the knotcher? Makes the job way easier aye :wink:

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:48 pm

cooksworld wrote:
coxsy wrote:was goind to say "where did you get the tube bender", But you and it work well together, nice work :D

It's lasted surprisingly well - this would be it's third or fourth roll cage etc. It's actually a real pig to use and I'm often surprised when things come out as close as they do... as long as you're not after a 'mm' perfect job it's fine. Swearing at it helps I find ;-)

It did split apart on this build but nothing a little more welding and steel couldn't fix. These days you can buy Pipe kinkers for next to nothing. I think I paid $120+ for each of my 2 formers... but that was 15 years ago now - before TradeMe!

Fixed it for ya, I paid $190 for my one thru work an since I built the cage I havent been able to get a consistant bend without wasting lots of pipe. Your formers are prob way better than the cheap ones too. I just bought myself a pro tools bender with one set of dies stand an knotcher :mrgreen: cant wait to try it out on the new toy

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Fakey wrote:Nice work. How ya liking the knotcher? Makes the job way easier aye :wink:

Was all good for a couple of goes then the I was cutting 50mm tube and the thread on the adaptor (for different whole saws) stripped a bit so I'm now using a spacer washer to position the hole saw further down on the thread. I also appear to have stripped the thread in one of the screws that you loosen off to move the shaft up (and away) from the pipe... I get the feeling it won't last the distance - besides that, they sure make life easier.

Oh - and there was a DOH moment... I forgot to pull the pin out of the shaft and the drill (all 2000W on a low gear setting) shot around, hit me in the head and just about snapped my wrist.. lol

cooksworld
Hard Yaka

Postby cooksworld » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Fakey wrote:
.... cant wait to try it out on the new toy

So... what is this new toy? Do tell or have you been posting.

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:13 pm

Yeah pretty much all the bolts on my one stripped.(Its the same as your one) I just put longer bolts an nuts on them. I was only using a 44mm an 34mm hole saws so didnt have any trouble with that thread . The new one I got with the bender Is made of stainless steel by the looks but is the same design as the old one just made better :lol:

Heres the new toy :mrgreen: http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... 40+rebuild

Bought this on saturday. Goes well but needs to be stripped an completely reworked, I like a challenge :oops: :lol:

Return to “Projects / Mod's”