V8 Land Rover project

smurf182
Hard Yaka

Re: V8 Land Rover project

Postby smurf182 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:48 pm

oldyella wrote:I can get the speedo to the middle of the "P" in MPH.

:lol: :lol:

Cheesy_Dave
Driver/Navigator

Postby Cheesy_Dave » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:05 pm

oldyella wrote:I can get the speedo to the middle of the "P" in MPH. A bit disappointing as I thought with a supposed 150kW it would go right back to the start :lol: .

Taking it away this weekend (hopefully) so I'll get the missus to drive for a bit and I'll bust out the laptop, connect to the MSII and muck around with the fuel maps some more (they still need some tweaks). Want to start taking datalogs to look over later on.

Also going to check what the vacuum advance is doing as that will affect cruise economy as well. Might put the timing light on it and suck on the pipe, that should let me know what its doing in terms of max/min.

I've got an LT95 4spd with overdrive and it doesn't seem to make much difference, to fuel economy, if the OD is in or out. With it out about 2800rpm is 65mph and it's well onto the cam. Heaps more grunt :mrgreen: so I tend to just drive it like that since it uses the same amount of gas :lol: .

Are you not running the ignition with the MS? Im about to put one into a range rover but with a couple of four post coil packs. I think from reading some of the other forums on the MS and RV8, they can run a lot more timing than the distributor setup which may be needed running leaner at cruse. There was also one guy who seemed to get better mileage in a Disco with 32s by changing from the 1.2 to 1.4 transfer case gears, Im assuming he kept the 3.54 diffs though.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:13 pm

Another trip under the belt. Cooling problems have disappeared with a new vicious hub plus not exactly a warm day!

I did notice on the open road the viscious fan was engaging which won't be helping fuel economy.

Also still dialing in the rate of altitude fuel compensation in the MSII but made some good progress on this trip.

Bundy bald SAT spare might need upgraded as it wasn't to great to drive on but better than no spare :mrgreen:

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Cheesy_Dave wrote:Are you not running the ignition with the MS? Im about to put one into a range rover but with a couple of four post coil packs. I think from reading some of the other forums on the MS and RV8, they can run a lot more timing than the distributor setup which may be needed running leaner at cruse.

Na only fuel injection at the moment. I'll definitely look into controlling spark once I've got all the different fuel injection parameters behaving 100%.

Cheesy_Dave
Driver/Navigator

Postby Cheesy_Dave » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:10 pm

Ive gone the other way, getting the ignition sorted as the only thing I need to do to change back is swapping plug leads over. Running half on the dizzy and half coil packs (well 4:2) also seems to work ok for sorting out vr sensors and various signals and setting the base timing/wheel offset etc. It is pretty amazing how steady the timing is with the strobe when the MS is controlling it instead of the dizzy.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:45 pm

Would be interested in hearing more about your setup...

What are you using for a trigger signal, coil packs etc

Cheesy_Dave
Driver/Navigator

Postby Cheesy_Dave » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 pm

Its a Pick A Part special, the 2 coil packs are Hyundai, 2 sets of 2 post coils on a common core, Im pretty sure they are the same or very similar to Mitsubishi and the later Range Rover ones.
The coils are driven by Subaru ignitors, all the cars there seemed to still have them so I figured they must be reasonably reliable. If they die I will go with Mitsy EVO ones which are pretty much indestructible. Its wasted spark so needs 4 outputs from the ECU, basically it needs 3 additional circuits (two resistors and a transistor) built, the same as the ones that drive the LEDs on the front panel.
The crank sensor is a VR sensor from a Falcon mounted to the power steering bracket, this might not be the best idea its a pain to set the clearance as its tucked too far out of the way.
I just drew a trigger wheel and got it laser cut out of 5mm mild steel. Pulled all the junk off the back side of the crank pulley and bolted it there.
Picked up some HT leads this afternoon so will have a go at getting the ignition up and running this weekend.

Also if I had of known earlier there is a Subaru coil pack that has a built in ignitor which may be worth looking at. Looking at your build quality though there are probably better options like some of the LS coil packs with built in ignitors.

Fuel will be a bit more involved as mine had the crappy injectors with the little hoses which (low Z and they perish) so I had to make a fuel rail and a few modifications to the manifold (spare one), changing that over will be a point of no return. Still need to get a wide band and a few injector seals before I do that.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Fri May 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Thanks gives me a starting point if I go down that way.

I was thinking of using an HEI dissy with GM 7-pin ignition module controlled with MSII

Or using an GM 8-pin ignition module (designed to be externally mounted with extra earth wire) controlled by MSII and interfacing it with the existing distributor would probably be cheapest.

I was favoring the 1st option over the 2nd because I've heard rumors that Rover V8's are allergic to water, but I'm yet to have any issues. Might be easier just to spend some time sealing up or pressuring the cap...

Cheesy_Dave
Driver/Navigator

Postby Cheesy_Dave » Sat May 03, 2014 9:15 am

Yea I heard the water thing as well and it just seemed easier to get rid of the distributor. There are a few ways you can do it with the distributor, you might even have the high current driver in the MS itself, all that would take is connecting the outputs to the coil and running the VR sensor wires from the distributor to the ECU and lock up the mechanical/vacuum advance. External ignitors are a better bet though, you just have to know if they are dumb or not (Dwell control), MS can cope with either.

Here is a thread on mine, hope it is ok cross posting to other forums if not delete

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=87950

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:04 pm

Can anyone recommend a good insurer for modified 4x4's. I've been driving the landy heaps :mrgreen: and need to get some insurance for it but not interested in paying an arm and a leg

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:25 pm

Think they are called Barclays? Through the NZ4wd assn. They were quite good to deal with. Cheaper than the other "Moded car" insurers when I looked around and they covered a bunch of off road specific stuff.

Arron.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:15 pm

john@barley.co.nz
Thats the guy who does the 4wd assn ins.
Premium was cheaper than what I had been paying and is full off road cover, no silly exclusions.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks chaps, I have fired away an enquiry to try and sort something.

Cheers

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:50 pm

Another successful trip under the belt run by the Shotover 4wd Club.

Needed to get winched up a bit of this rock face so I'll pull my finger out and get my winch off the garage floor and into the truck

The other trucks were running dual lockers and walked up where the landy got cross axled halfway up :cry: No cash in the bank for lockers at the moment haha

Great day out

Walked up the first bit

Cross axled

Winched up a bit then idled up the rest

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Awesome
Kind of looks like the Macetown road
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:21 pm

lax2wlg wrote:Awesome

Its not far away from there, its close to where the jet boating and bungy jumping happens :wink: :wink:
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:26 pm

DieselBoy wrote:
lax2wlg wrote:Awesome

Its not far away from there, its close to where the jet boating and bungy jumping happens :wink: :wink:

Skippers Canyon?

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Getting closer....
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:23 pm

ya go past it.. :lol:

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Kawarau Gorge?

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:38 pm

nope..

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:50 pm

Haha nice guesses, Points for being in the general area!

The fun started at the end of Skippers

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Definitely a landy! nice oil spot on rock in pick one haha

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:14 pm

That must have been the Toyota.

Lets take another look :wink:

***edit*** excellent driving advice by the missus :lol:

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:29 pm

2nd gear and lots of berries didn't result in getting much more than a few inches further up though :mrgreen:

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:38 pm

ha watched the vid.. mate.. if I can drive in my 70 I had.. then you should be able to.. :mrgreen: It definitely requires a technical aspect to drive it though.. I have come off that rock backwards as abs let go.. stopped before the second rock bit heading down, 1st bit going up.. could have been spectacular if I had gone to the bottom.. But for me its a mind fk getting up there.. My plan is to drive every time now.. 8) and so far I have.. :twisted: Love it in there.. great place..

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Postby suzolla » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi,
Could be completely off track, but looking at the photos looks like you could let out quite a lot of air from tires to give you a bit more rubber on the rocks.

Cheers
Tim

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Far that sounds nice

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:36 pm

suzolla wrote:Hi,
Could be completely off track, but looking at the photos looks like you could let out quite a lot of air from tires to give you a bit more rubber on the rocks.

Cheers
Tim

That helps a lot :wink: but cant say :mrgreen: :lol:

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:06 pm

To be fair, simexs are terrible on that rock....
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Return to “Projects / Mod's”