V8 Land Rover project

oldyella
Hard Yaka

V8 Land Rover project

Postby oldyella » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:34 am

Last year I entered a standard series 2a at sheffield and it was great fun but it the LR was far to rough to be anything else than a thrasher so I sold it.

A few months ago a friend of mine found me another series 2a with a mint chassis and firewall and the body's not bad to for $300. Iv got that stripped back to a bare chassis and fire wall at the moment.

I had been on the lookout for a cheap discovery to take the running gear out of and slap under the S2a. Last week I finally found one. Its a partially dismanteled 1996 3.9L V8 with 170000km (doors gone windows gone etc) but can still be driven which is all I need. The disco was $1550.

Im doing the engine and coil conversion in central otago (work shop access) but live in chch so it might take a few months but I don 't want to rush it as it has to be certifiable. Once the hard stuff is done it will come back to chch to be finished off.

Im in central at the moment and the disco is coming down this weekend to be stripped back (after a test drive of course!) and all going well I might even get the new engine mounts made up before I have to go back to chch.

Ill put up some pics of what im working with in the next couple of days

This is the first 4x4 build I have done and I will no doubt be asking for a bit of advice every now and again.

Cheers for now

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Re: V8 Land Rover project

Postby mercutio » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:54 am

wouldn't it be alot easier to put the 2a body on the disco chassis i am pretty sure the certification will be alot easier that way as you won't need to modify the chassis at all it would be just body modifications
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:28 am

Yes and no, to use the disco chassis it has to be cut it half and sectioned by 11 inches and also has to have the rear x member and body wings welded on.

To use the 2a chassis its a coil and motor conversion which have been done on other trucks and certified so I see no reason why it would be more difficult to get a cert.

The other, purly bragging advantage is it will be a S2a with coils and a V8. Not a disco with a S2a body :D

The main disagvantage I see with the S2a chassis is exactly that, its a S2a chassis from the 50-60's!!!

Im planning to call the cert guy tomorrow and discuss the plan and ask his opinion.

Cheers

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:01 am

Here's a pic of what the landy looked like when I first got it.

And heres a pic of my mates S3 and I would be stoked if my S2 ended up half as tidy

I will put up some pics of the firewall and chassis and possibly a video of putting the disco through its paces before I pull it apart next week

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:28 am

I went the other way because cutting a chassis was easy and tacking the rear member on. I didnt have to muck around with steering geometry, suspension setups, power steering box setups, engine and gear box mounts etc. Everything just bolted in. I can replace with standard parts anytime I feel which is the added bonus :mrgreen: . PM turoa he went down your path.
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

kaney
Hard Yaka

Postby kaney » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:12 pm

one disco being delivered...the tail lift became a good ramp....

toymota thats stock standard.

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:31 pm

oldyella wrote:The main advantage I see with the S2a chassis is exactly that, its a S2a chassis from the 50-60's!!!

Don't forget cheaper rego :lol:
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Heres my 2c....

I cut the mounts off a rangie chassis and put them onto my 2a chassis. Originally my dad and I did this to suit hilux diffs. Since we used them we got an a frame made for the rear end, used rangie rear arms and used the rangie front arms and panhard with a set of coilovers (which were way too stiff so sold them).

I have decided to change tac again and am installing a stronger set of diffs (hiluxes wouldnt last wrong with my foot and a 1uz). The project is currently on hold though for another few more months.

In my opinion (depending on how much rust your series chassis has) it is much easier and cleaner to just use a disco chassis. Even at the moment I am still finding little patches of rust which will need repairing. The disco chassis is most likely rust free and will last many more years before it starts to rust.

If I were to do it again, I would do it like mike and start with a late model chassis, diffs and motor.

Turoa

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:30 am

Cheers for that Kaney and Phill, do you guys want firewood because I am bringing up the truck and trailer 2 pick up the disco on sun and can bring up a load 4 ya.

I talked to the certifier today and he said the plan sounds fine. Who ever welds it, (I have an engineer lined up) needs to prove they are competient usually by performing a welding test with him preasent. However proof from an employer would also be satisfactory. I am taking the second option. However if you are welding and want it certified just call the certifier to see what he wants.

The chassis has one rust hole the size of my little fingernail where the bumper bolts on. Since I spent a while looking for this chassis I feel it would be a shame not to use it...

Once I get the disco down here I'll whip the body off, put them side by side and think about it some more.

Mike, are you running a S3 brake booster and does that work well with the disco's disc breaks?

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:49 pm

oldyella wrote:Cheers for that Kaney and Phill, do you guys want firewood because I am bringing up the truck and trailer 2 pick up the disco on sun and can bring up a load 4 ya.

I talked to the certifier today and he said the plan sounds fine. Who ever welds it, (I have an engineer lined up) needs to prove they are competient usually by performing a welding test with him preasent. However proof from an employer would also be satisfactory. I am taking the second option. However if you are welding and want it certified just call the certifier to see what he wants.

The chassis has one rust hole the size of my little fingernail where the bumper bolts on. Since I spent a while looking for this chassis I feel it would be a shame not to use it...

Once I get the disco down here I'll whip the body off, put them side by side and think about it some more.

Mike, are you running a S3 brake booster and does that work well with the disco's disc breaks?

nope, if your like me and using the 4wheel twin pot discs off the disco then you need the the disco brake booster and master cylinder to drive them. you cut the mounts off the old brakebooster and tack it to it on the new one. works nice. fits nice. allows you to use the series pedals but with the powerful disco brakes.
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:39 am

Thanks that's what I'll do about the brakes then.

Here are some pics of the progress I made today.

For the spring mounts to be welded to the chassis. All this rubbish needed to be removed.

And here is what I have done so far

Here's a pic of the height the landy should be sitting at with the 29's off the disco

And this is the extent of the rust.

It looks so orange because it sat outside for 2 months but if you look hard you can see where the structural stuff is.

Thats all for now

Disco-Blue
Hard Yaka

Postby Disco-Blue » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Mint, good steal with the disco pete, I bags being your co-driver for sheffield again haha.
Blake - 0274124836

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:05 am

Here are some more pics of the progress iv made.

I decided to do both sides so the other side didn't rust out at a later date

I also have the bulk head ready to be lifted off so the chassis can be flipped over to do any welding underneath, just to make life easy :)

And for no reason at all, here a pic of my mates S1 which is a beast and a half, running a holden 149 which goes way better than the 186 I had in my old S2.

Thats all for now.

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:04 am

that'll be cos of the beasty little tractors grips on the sucker... :!: :lol:
ImageImage

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:55 pm

that series 1 looks awesome. 80"s are cool.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:09 am

Some pics to show that im still working on it.

Basically iv removed the front and rear spring mounts and whipped off the firewall.

Turoa, did you cut off the front spring mounts for the rear springs to mount your rangie radius arm mounts or did you weld the radius mounts to the old spring mounts?

Mike, What did you do about steering in your landy? Did you use the discovery steering column?

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Not sure that really makes sence but I pretty much used all the rangie chassis mounts and made up new ones for the axle ends.

Had to chop a bit out of the bulkhead outriggers to get the radius arm mounts so sit up in the right place though. But its no big deal and once im finished with em it shouldnt be any weaker than it was originally.

The defenders got around this problem by making the outriggers foward of the bulkhead instead of behind.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:15 am

Progress:

I got the disco down from christchurch on sunday and gave it a test run. The auto is horrible when cold, im not sure if it just needs a flush or if its something more serious. Its fine once its warmed up.

On monday I got the body off and the motor out.

Today I got the disco Xmember out (which has the a-frame mounts) cut out and cleaned up

Here it is sitting roughly in place

Turoa, this is the mount I was asking about before.

I was wondering how you welded your radius arm mount to this section of the chassis as it it normally attached to a straight section. I am thinking of cutting off the old mounts and making new plates roughly chalked out and boxing it in underneath, then welding the radius arm mounts on. I just dont really like the idea of welding some to the chassis then welding the mount to that. It would be much cleaner to weld the mount straight on somehow...

Here is the rear end ready to go under the S2 once the mounts are done

Tomorrow I want to get the spring mounts ready to be tacked on/possible tacked on

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:09 pm

aaah i see. I removed part of the rangie chassis with the mount and welded that on, and will be boxing in the frame where it hangs off. I can get some pics for you but it wont be till next week. Another way off course is to just extend the arms so teh mount sits on the straight bit of chassis.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:39 am

Well I almost managed to get done what I wanted today. I just need to modify the mount slightly so the bottom of it doesn't hang down. The bottom of mount also needs to fold under so it can be welded to the bottom of the chassis, just making it a little bit tricker but it shouldn't take long.

Tomorrow I want to finish up the spring hangers, get the radius arm mounts cut off the disco and cut the old spring mounts off the LR.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:49 am

Progress,

I cut the old spring mounts off and cut the radius arm mounts off the disco.

Then my brother and I tacked in the discovery cross member as well as tacking on the spring hangers (which still need modified but I thought it would be easier once it was in place)and chucked the diff under it! Yuss!

The wheels stick out about 3 inches either side of the rear cross member. Mint.

Im not sure what to do about those holes in the chassis... possibly just weld them up and grind them back... You can also see that I need to cut off the old shock mount.

This just shows how sweetly cutting out the disco cross member worked. Oh by the way I shifted the diff back and inch from standard because otherwise this cross member hit the standard cross member so now Iv got a 89inch landrover.

The peice of cardboard is the shape of the plates I am going to cut out. One on each side of the chassis rail then box the bottom in. Then I will weld the radius arm mount to this "chassis extention" I suppose you could call it. I called the certifier and asked him about this and he said that was fine as long as it was nice and strong so I will probably make them out of 4mm-5mm.

I forgot that I moved the diff back when I was measuring where the radius arm mounts needed to be and got very confused with what was going on (some crazy diff angles) haha. All under control now though. Im going to cut the plates out tomorrow and hopefully get them tacked into place and boxed in.

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:45 pm

before you weld them spring mounts on chuck the tub on and see how much it has lifted it. On mine ive ended up having to raise them up by about 100mm and its still higher than standard :?

philux
Hard Yaka

Postby philux » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:30 pm

gees pete, there's not much shagging round there, good work!

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:24 pm

I did some shagging around today though haha. I just ended up packing everything up until im down next.

I did some measuring on the disco and the back springs are compressed 90mm with the body and motor on/in it (keeping in mind that it had been lightened slightly due to no doors etc but probably still heavier than what the completed S2 will be). Then I measured from the ground to the top of the springs when the back end was out. Using these measurements I figured out that from the ground to the top of the rear cross member with everything in it, should be 700mm or less. This is roughly the same hight as my mates S3 (same measurement on his is 670mm). Meaning I will probably have to lift it slighly (his is quite low). I'll probably do this using longer softer springs but plan on leaving everything standard for the cert then recert it later with different springs and shocks.

There won't be anymore updates for a while now. Turoa, I would be interested in seeing a pic of what you did with the section of rangie chassis and radius arm mount on your landy.

Cheers

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 pm

Great work there oldyella!
Looking forward to seeing more work in progress pix and development.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:51 pm

Well im driving back down to central tomorrow to do some more on the landy. I got the plates that I need for the chassis extension cut out with a guillotine. I'm hoping 2 get the back end finished up and make a start on the front.

Here are some pic's of the plates

And the steel to box it in underneath

Only cost me $50, it helps when you know a guy who works at a sheet metal place :wink:

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:37 am

Progress:

Its been pretty slow because these mounts need to be spot on otherwise the truck will crab down the road. I have got them pretty good now though... Iv got one side boxed in and the other ready to be boxed in.

Heres a bit of a step by step

The plates clamped in place ready to be tacked

Plates tacked in place

Underneath boxed in

Radius arm mount sitting roughly in place

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:04 pm

Progress:

Well I got the other chassis extension boxed in then got both radius arm mounts tacked in place

Put the diff under it and doesn't look 100%

The pinion on the diff is pointing up about where I want it. But this means the spring mounts on the diff are angled back slightly. Does any one know if it would be worth cutting the spring mounts off the diff rewelding them level or if there is any major draw back of having them on a slight angle back?

Some pics

Double checking the chassis extensions were square with the chassis after they were both all tacked up

Radius arm mount tacked on

Both radius arm mounts tacked on

Diff sitting in place from the back

From the side

You can sort of see in the last photo the diff pointing up slightly which is sweet.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:45 pm

If the spring mounts on the diff are rotated slightly rearward while the chassis is the only load then when the body is on they should flatten out (if I have my mental picture right).

Can you appy a load to the springs/chassis to see if it makes any difference?

If the angle remains constant or worsens during articulation of the axle then maybe cut and adjust.

Sneak alook under a disco that hasnt been snipped and see how they line up, if possible.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:17 am

Heath wrote:If the spring mounts on the diff are rotated slightly rearward while the chassis is the only load then when the body is on they should flatten out (if I have my mental picture right).

Can you appy a load to the springs/chassis to see if it makes any difference?

If the angle remains constant or worsens during articulation of the axle then maybe cut and adjust.

Sneak alook under a disco that hasnt been snipped and see how they line up, if possible.

Yea they do flatten out slightly when articulated or when the chassis is lowered due to weight of the body/gearbox. I have had a think about it and I am going to move the radius arm mounts and spring mounts back 10mm and leave the a-frame mount where it is. This will level the spring mounts on the diff slightly (They will still be angled back slightly). The angle just looked a bit to excessive even with the chassis loaded up (got a couple of mates to sit on the back of it). I will move the spring mounts after I have put the diff back under it to see what effect the movement of the radius arms has made.

First I will have a quick look at my Escudos spring mounts on the diff to see what/if there is any angle on them...

Cheers

Return to “Projects / Mod's”