Bolted on a bit of bling from 4wdbits last month:
The std auto/manual Nissan hubs weren't filling me with confidence as I was sure I could hear them clicking in & out while supposedly locked in offroad, & there was also the odd click coming from that area while cruising on road.
No more funny noises now but I did notice the hubs were getting quite warm while running unlocked, probably due to the splined axle collar running in it's locating ring. Need to pull them apart & check.
EDIT: found out much later that these needed spacers in behind the locating rings which were not supplied - only good luck held them in the right place before I worked this out. New version 4wdbits hubs apparently don't need the spacers.
Went for another good test drive a couple of weeks ago & all was performing well apart from my alternator crapping out. It turns out that ignoring your only slightly leaky power steering pump on a 1UZ is not a good idea as it drips on the alternator, builds up a wad of gunge in around the brushes & wears out both the brushes & the slip ring, effectively trashing the alternator. Fortunately brand new OE Nippondenso alternators are available from NZAD on trademe for reasonable $$$ & minutes after I had hit the 'buy now' they had one on the way.
So having just spent $367 on the alternator I thought I'd better fix the power steering pump. I found a couple of rebuild guides online that were quite helpful: http://planetsoarer.com/Power%20steering%20pump.htm
The local Toyota dealer got the o-ring & seal kit in overnight & the bearing was on the shelf at SKF.
Power steering pumps are tricksy little buggers so I took plenty of pics as I stripped it down - lots of little parts that can easily be put back in the wrong way around.
I've never seen so many buggered o-rings - every single one was hard & brittle. The pump stator was a bit worn so I gave that a buff, then all back together for installation.
Also ticked off over the weekend was some extra tail & brake lights. The big Simex on the back obscures the std lights a bit on that side so to keep the WOF man happy I wired in a few Hella LEDs.
Last week's other achievement was a booking for a certification check. Which took some doing, this sort of work needs an inspector with '1D' category approval which they don't all have - the certifier I had been in contact with from the start of the axle swap has buggered off to the USA for 6 months, the guy who certed the engine swap way back when is booked out until February, next closest guy is about to head off on holiday for a month... So eventually I got hold of Noel McMillin in Hamilton who had a spot & I'll be rolling over there at the end of the month.