bj40 build...

niblik
Sausage Shack

bj40 build...

Postby niblik » Wed May 03, 2006 7:45 am

well, i'm new to this but its all good..here goes.. :?
i'm on my way to buildin up a monster 40 :twisted: after being bitten by the mud bug a year ago. i have 2 swb 40's and a 60 lwb ( to pilfer power steering ,disc brakes and pto with 5 speed from.) 1 of the 40's has a good bod. the other is.. um.... crap! good drive train though. so, lots of thoughts and mods but will take photos of both this arvo and put them on here, somehow? :? i'll sort it later hopefully. then i'll keep updating as the build progress'..
any comments or queries are welcome..

p.s... the more 40's, the better! :D

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Wed May 03, 2006 7:55 am

Woohoo... newbie with a project and a digital camera... :lol:

Welcome aboard... great to hear you've got a project on the boil... make sure you take lots of pics and post them all.

To post them, create an album and upload them (preferably around 640x480 or 800x600 with about a 30-50kb file size) then open the pic in the album, right click on the pic and choose properties then highlight and copy the address of the pic. Then paste it here and highlight it again, then click the [Img] button above to put the correct tags around it so it will show up

If it doesn't work you can edit your post and try again, or someone here will help out :)

Lookin forward to the pics... we all live for pics

Steve

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Wed May 03, 2006 8:34 am

:shock: wow.. sounds like a detailed operation postin pics, but ,as you say, gotta get pics so dont go too far... they're comin! :wink:

worthog
Hard Yaka

Postby worthog » Thu May 04, 2006 9:10 am

2001 Mitsubishi Diamante VRX Sport

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Thu May 04, 2006 10:07 am

worthog wrote: .

? You trying to up your post-count? :P Or just had nothing to say about this project? :lol:

Steve

worthog
Hard Yaka

Postby worthog » Thu May 04, 2006 10:37 am

I was trying to post a pic following your instructions. Got to pasting it again, then highlighted it and clicked img button above, but the pic didnt show
Last edited by worthog on Sun May 07, 2006 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

doddzee
Is Doddgee

Postby doddzee » Thu May 04, 2006 10:39 am

You have to upload them into an album first in the photo albums section.

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Thu May 04, 2006 10:44 am

aha... yep, first they need to be posted in an album on the site, or somewhere online that can store photos... probably best to put them in an album here tho... go into photo albums over in the main left menu and create one, then add photos to it. Then follow my instructions above.

also, it should be like follows:

[ img]http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/images/albums/smilies/dats_phat_yo.gif[ /img]

without the spaces in the square brackets, will show this:

Clear as mud? :)

Steve

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Fri May 05, 2006 5:01 pm

looking forward to seeing this as my fist truck was a bj40, rolled that one though, but fixed her up and she lasted a few years after that. Then went to a fj45+trailbike that fitted in the back with the handlebars down, did heaps of k's around Oz in that. Glad I've seen the light and now have a Nissan :lol: Sorry Steve, had to slip that one in.
Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

worthog
Hard Yaka

Postby worthog » Sun May 07, 2006 10:07 am

Steve as you stated - you are clear as mud

I have gone to Photo Albums, but I cant see how to create one, please help

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Sun May 07, 2006 10:21 am

on the line where it says "108 sub-albums and no images in this album on 12 pages" there is a drop down box with admin options. Click on it and then new nested album

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Tue May 09, 2006 9:02 pm

:oops: sorry about the slackness with not having posted any pics yet but have faith! i have been stuck doin 12 hour days at work :cry: so i have thursday as my first day off, meaning, pics! oh rejoice! :P

will have pics on by friday lunch so if still curious, check back then.

see ya soonly.

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Fri May 12, 2006 8:12 pm

:? well... made an album with a few pics of the build and a couple of pics from various outings... check it out on this link:

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/modules ... _album.php

hope that link works... :evil: it better..

if not its under 'user albums'.. or somethin like that.. does my head in all this waitin fer downloads with slow ass dial up.. painful!!!! :roll:

let me know what ya think.. good or bad.. more pics to come with mods being done as we speak.. some of the photos are for the 'before and after' value..

:P

turoa
Pyro Junior

Postby turoa » Fri May 12, 2006 8:37 pm

i like it. are you v8'in it?

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Fri May 12, 2006 9:14 pm

:( i'd love to! but alas, no.. i find the 3b is good on a;gas b;water vulnerabilty c;the fact i have 3 of them layin around c; too cheap to v8 it..! :D

i want it done now! :evil:

soon... very soon..... :twisted:

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Fri May 12, 2006 9:15 pm

:oops: opps.. i meant i want my other truck i'm modifyin to be done now...

the 40 pictured is my off roader for now..

sigh :cry:

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Wed May 17, 2006 9:18 pm

:) well i got the grinder out tonight and cut out the rear wheel well and took off the shock and bump stop, also took off the u bolts to enable the wheel up to articulate and then be able to measure where my new tyres are going to 'max out' and fabricate new inner wells.. also check offsets of rims clear chassis.

well, thats the plan.. dunno if that was the easiest way but oh well..

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/images/ ... .sized.jpg

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Wed May 17, 2006 9:20 pm

damn..

postin these pics thing is a bit of a trick.. check it here:

more soon.

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Wed May 17, 2006 9:58 pm

niblik wrote::) well i got the grinder out tonight and cut out the rear wheel well and took off the shock and bump stop, also took off the u bolts to enable the wheel up to articulate and then be able to measure where my new tyres are going to 'max out' and fabricate new inner wells.. also check offsets of rims clear chassis.

well, thats the plan.. dunno if that was the easiest way but oh well..

Just about got it... the [img ] tag goes at the start of the image source and the one with the slash in it closes the tags, so its in the right place... move the [img ] and you get:

Steve

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Wed May 17, 2006 10:55 pm

:oops: ah... *cough*...... :roll:

cheers steve.. now i'll get it right..

thanks..

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sun May 21, 2006 8:13 pm

:D good news! today a couple of mates, jase and phil, came round and helped do a mission and see if the front discs off the 60# were able to fit onto the 40#... they do! :D brilliant.

jase and phil pictured goin to town on the 60#.. the 60's diffs ended up being approx 50mm wider than the 40's diffs.. so it all ended up relying on the hubs doin a straight swap. will purchase wiper kits and do s.o.a before bothering to complete the swap of drums to discs.. isnt it surprising how priorities ghange durin a build? :scratch:

the 40's hub prior to changin in bog std form.. soon to be replaced with discs, yay!

next weekend is doin the s.o.a on the rear... pics of that then..

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Fri May 26, 2006 9:25 pm

:evil: damn it. need spring perches and maybe a few chassis rail mount things for the springs before soa. :-@ :-@
anyway....
while gettin that together, i got out in the garage tonight and took the front quarters off. same deal with the side sills.. i'll need to tidy these up on rebuild. at least theyre in good condition.. i havnt bothered to do the full install of the discs as the diffs are going to get a complete overhaul when soa gets performed.. :roll: typical.. gettin too carried away. to think it was originally going to be a 'rough enough' cruiser. :wink:

notice the disc on left in, just to see if it was all good. also the shock towers have gone to make way for the power steerin off the 60 and to use some higher shock mounts for artic purposes. took a cuttin wheel, a grinder wheel and a large sledgey with plenty of room to 'tune' the shock towers off the chassis.. tough little shits....
sills removed for clean up.
perches should be gettin manufactuerd very soon.
i'll keep ya updated. see what i can do :thumright: :thumright: tomorrow..

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:12 pm

:roll: well its been interesting times. for those of you that have been following this build or bothered to read this drivel, i've been in constant torment about whether to go for the soa or stay under.
i thought i was going to do a soa.

was. :oops:

after doin extensive research into it ( read: money ) i've decided to stay with the sua as i've cut the rear guards to do the mini tubbing and if i change to the soa, the rear wheel at full artic would possibly hit the rear chassis rail. could increase the offset yes, but, the problem there is that the hubs get punished. meaning snappy badness... also i dont want to be 'that guy' that does the 'rough enough' job of the soa and theres to many little things to go wrong that can add up to be a big f**k up... :cry:

so. now that i've backed out of that option. i do have some forward movement happening. got mate fabbing up new rear wells to be 3" higher and increase inner wall by 100mm... yeah, i dont want any rubbin. then he can have the tub to weld that in and get rid of the cancer in drivers foot well.. be gone rust! :evil:

i'll get pics up soon of tub rear pre-welded...

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:08 pm

:roll: been too cold for back yard bush mechanics,but oh well, gotta get the ball rolling.. need it done! :P

got busy with the 10 and 12mm sockets and stripped out the firewall of the 40's tub in prep for some metal fabrications...

the interior view...

from the front.. obviously need to extract motor... (leant onto the firewall... damn.. :evil: )

droppin off to mate to do modded rear inner wells and rust in foot well on drivers side.. rear wells getting raised by 3 - 4 inches and brought inwards by 3 - 4 inches.. heaps of room to artic... hopefully..

will be taking naked chassis to comrades to completly strip, grind down and repaint to get rid of rust scale and unwanted nasties...

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:43 am

This is looking good... keep the pics coming... are you going to paint the whole thing dayglow pink with lots of glitter in it ? :lol:

Steve

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:45 am

Lookin' good
Some good info here if you still want to use the 60 series axles:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=97283

wopass
Hard Yaka

;-p

Postby wopass » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:10 am

thats a great write up :D i went about it differently but i guess theres allways more than one way to skin a cat :wink: ...mind you, i havent finished it and tried it yet so it may all change :roll:
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:18 pm

SupraLux wrote: are you going to paint the whole thing dayglow pink with lots of glitter in it ? :lol:

grrrrr .. i'll pink dayglo with sparkles and frilly bits you!! :evil: :wink: :lol: will keep pics comin alright..

muddy, cheers.. been there, great reading... :D

wopass, am anticipating your article for a bit of readin.. :D

am doin deliveries tomorrow... body and chassis gettin split up... yay! action :!: :!: and pics...

wopass
Hard Yaka

;-p

Postby wopass » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:02 pm

:shock: dude, youre gonna need that winch man !, your so gonna get bogged and wish you had a winch.... or do you have 2 ?
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:19 am

:twisted: i agree! if ya dont get bogged, ya not tryin hard enough! :twisted:

need the money for other mods and fabrications first.. got a lot to do and unfortunately the winch can fund some... *sniff* :cry: oh, i'm getting all emotional..... over before it began.............. :thumbdown: gotta go... just too much to take... :cry: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Projects / Mod's”