SAS on 1990 terrano: updated 28-11-15

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Re: SAS on 1990 terrano: updated 16-07-12

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:45 pm

its a custom steering arm.

its a hybrid safari arm with terrano tie rod end, so that i could use the normal terrano steering box, Why do you ask?

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Re: SAS on 1990 terrano: updated 16-07-12

Postby Swamped » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:01 pm

Was just out of interest really. Just from the pic the first thought I had was flex and maybe bumpsteer but maybe its the pic messing with me.

Has the certifier had a squizz??

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Re: SAS on 1990 terrano: updated 30-08-12

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:34 pm

not yet but still gotta do a couple of things before that, minor anoing things.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Finally got some more funds on the way,

So its time to ressurect this thread (and the truck).

Certifier had a quick look over the truck, all looks good apart from a few minor things.

So Heres the List:

Exhaust (cracks, leaking from flexi etc) thinking of going for 3 inch.

handbrake (bloody terrano's) and some brackets need adjusting (for lift)

tierod (bit that joins both hubs together for steering) needs straightend

Sill Damage (not sure about this yet, grey area)

bigger tyres, need some proper mt's

and i think thats about it.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Finally started on the terrano again,

fixed handbrake, all adjusted and and working mint, got new brake pads for $60 from super cheap.

draglink is all sorted, thanks to Tony and his press.

Still dont know about sill damage, have to put it through a warrent and find that out, if its a problem out comes the grinder, and in goes some 2x4 sqaure tube

not going to worry about tyres just yet, still cant decide on what to get, as it will be a daily driver i dont want to get silverstones just yet.

Intercooler is finally getting modified, so that should be in and sorted by the end of the weekend, just waiting on some small things to turn up and wire up the pump.

all the nigly little bits are done like handbrake brackets etc, so all hoping she should have a cert very shortly.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Re: SAS on 1990 terrano: updated 05-06-13

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Got picks of the flares and articulation, but none of the intercooler as battery died in the camera.

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Dirtydog wrote:Finally started on the terrano again,
Still dont know about sill damage, have to put it through a warrent and find that out, if its a problem out comes the grinder, and in goes some 2x4 sqaure tube

I wouldnt think sill damage would be to much of a problem on ladder chassis trucks unless it stops the doors opening freely, if hes worried just drill some holes in the floor and punch it out.

Looking like its nearly done, just need seat time in it and youl be set

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:50 pm

I dont think the sill is going to be much problem, doors open freely, only really cosmetic.

i think the only thing i can do now is sort out some soft springs and longer shocks, and of coarse some new tyres, but for now she will do, ill get some proper flex shots when its either on a ramp or forklift.

And yep pretty keen to getting some seat time, far too used to the bighorn so good to back in a real truck lol

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:31 pm

Looking good, simple on the flares is good, some 35x12.5's would be the dog's jism.

Impressive you guys managed to figure out that Safari transfer case swap, I've never heard of anyone doing this before. From here on I declare it the 'dirty safari transfer mod', dogg
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:12 am

Cheers lax,

I actually got the idea of Rick at accessories, but there was some things that we had to work around etc. we also put the safari mounts etc in the back so when it comes to lifting it any higher, it should just be as simple as getting a complete lift kit for a safari.

I think i may need to do some trimming at the rear to make 35's fit, and some better ratio diffs too as the ones in it are 4.1, its good though because the speedo finally reads correctly lol.

35's would fit in the front guards though, so glad i asked for the diff to be moved foward, also helped clear the sump.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:43 pm

back onto the project after some growing up and learning, it amazing what the real world can teach ya lol.

ive been working at a transport company for the past 2 years now, working in the workshop as a grease monkey, and i would have to say i have learnt alot.

ive been taught how to weld and brought myself a decent welder, worked on a few things and brought the tools to suit, but most importantly ive had a decent person teaching me how to do things the right way.

So ive decided its about time i kick the ol girl in the guts again and do to it what it deserves.
first major project was to take the old falling apart radiator out, well overdue for replacement.

next was the dump pipe and the and subsequently the turbo (dam broken studs, all but one holding the turbo on broke) which ld the the exhaust manifold and the egr pipe.

i brought some bits for a 3 inch exhaust, through sta parts (at $15a 90 degree bend worked out rather cheap) and started on making a new dump pipe.

ill get pictures underway once i start making some decent progress

tirantious
Bush Crasher

Re: SAS on 1990 terrano: updated 20-01-15

Postby tirantious » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 pm

good to see you back around and looking forward to seeing more of your build
l200 with not a straight panel on it

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Re: SAS on 1990 terrano: updated 28-11-15

Postby Dirtydog » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:19 pm

well what a year it has been,

just when ya start getting back into the swing of things life hits lol, luckily for me it has been good things.

Ill start of with the best news first, me and my partner of 4 years have just brought out own house, no more paying for someone else's mortgage :lol:

so about a week before settlement date i got offered an apprenticeship as a diesel mechanic, with high regards from my previous boss so was a bit of a kick in the right direction, about 3 months have passed and once again the stuff i have learnt :wink:

after finaly settling in and getting the garage all set-up how i want, i can start on the ol girl again, im a bit ashamed, as im sure its been about 4 years now and still not done, but hey, i suppose good things take time.

so with out further adieu im sure these pictures will be able to explain where im at, better than i can anyway

Brought a New radiator off Scarles, their supreme d21 rad, not bad at all really well made, was rather impressed when it arrived, got a new trans cooler aswell, new fan, and flushed the system, so shouldn't have problems with overheating.

Made up a new dump pipe, should let the exhaust flow a bit better, went with 3 inch as it worked out cheaper for some strange reason, flange needs a tidy up, not very good with the gas cutting yet.

and one of the more important notes, i managed to find some flares that will stick out far enough to cover the wheels, dont know how long they will last however as they are only thin fiberglass,

also picked up some steel for a bullbar, just happens to be two lengths of chassis rail from a mercedes truck that got shortened, good old scrap pile at work :twisted:

the other thing i have purchased, allthough somewhat not related to this is a 1989 d/cab nissan navara as a work hack, good old td2.3 goes pretty well for a non-turbo still never misses a beat even at 380,000kms :lol:

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Re: SAS on 1990 terrano: updated 28-11-15

Postby lax2wlg » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:43 am

Welcome back DD, good to see you again.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”