another terrano/safari project = terrari

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Re: another terrano/safari project = terrari

Postby kbjj » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Wasn't my idea, I copied it of blackdeath.
Anyway, my ac pump just died on last trip while using it to run a die grinder. I've pumped all 4 tyres from 15 to 35psi only about 8-10 times. I hoped it would last longer, but have 2 more units to use. I've noticed the ac pump gets bloody hot, and will now try pumping 2 tyres, let it cool then next 2. I also may reduce pressure switch from 100psi to 80, or when pumping up tyres just leave my air line valve open all the time so pressure doesn't build any more than needed, all in an effort to reduce heat. Yet to do a post mortem
Jeremy
If you break it... build it stronger.

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:44 pm

went out and brought a cheap compressor $150
then before i riped it apart i did some tests on a 33'' tyre to inflate from 5psi to 30psi first go was 3m42sec second was 3m10sec 3rd go it shit it self at about 25psi and did not start again :shock:
so pulled it apart
also picked up a arb pressure switch, but not sure if i need it. not to sure on what to do with the standard pressure switch or how to wire it to a/c.
might need to sleep on that one, so started on sorting a high pressure line from a/c outlet to air tank. and where to mount it.
Last edited by passengerpete on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Postby kbjj » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Those presure switches are double pole. They switch the neutral and phase. Pick a contact.
To use the ac button on dash, you have to earth a wire on interior vent fan switch (or have fan on when using on board air) and bridge 2 wires on ac temp sensor (behind glovebox panel). Then you can use ac pressure switch wires (on ac filter) for your new pressure switch. I can dig out wire colours if you want
Jeremy

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:43 pm

thanks heaps for that kbij that solves a lot of head scratching. 8) :D and if you do get time to locate the wire colors that would be awesome. cheers

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Postby kbjj » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:53 pm

passengerpete wrote:thanks heaps for that kbij that solves a lot of head scratching. 8) :D and if you do get time to locate the wire colors that would be awesome. cheers

Fan switch... green/black stripe wire, needs to be earthed (there is an earth in same plug, black/white stripe I think)
Temp sensor... Unplug and join green/black stripe wire to green/orange stripe. (green/blue stripe spare but needs insulating)
Pressure switch wires are green/orange stripe, and green/red stripe

All care no responsibility :lol:

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:03 pm

kbjj wrote:
passengerpete wrote:thanks heaps for that kbij that solves a lot of head scratching. 8) :D and if you do get time to locate the wire colors that would be awesome. cheers

Fan switch... green/black stripe wire, needs to be earthed (there is an earth in same plug, black/white stripe I think)
Temp sensor... Unplug and join green/black stripe wire to green/orange stripe. (green/blue stripe spare but needs insulating)
Pressure switch wires are green/orange stripe, and green/red stripe

All care no responsibility :lol:

awesome dude, i owe ya now.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Hey mate. Are you oiling the compressor somehow? If not they are just going to keep on giving up. A normal ac sysstem is closed loop and has oil in it to lube the pump. Sorry if you are already on to this.

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Also the pump should handle 100psi piece of cake as they normally run any where between 100 and 250 odd psi.

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:23 pm

shortylux wrote:Hey mate. Are you oiling the compressor somehow? If not they are just going to keep on giving up. A normal ac sysstem is closed loop and has oil in it to lube the pump. Sorry if you are already on to this.

yea the rocker cover vent goes straight to the a/c compressor unit. there's also a T piece that goes the air cleaner pipe where the factory rocker cover vent went. pics page 16. cheers tho its one of those thing that's sometimes easy forgotten. :wink:
Last edited by passengerpete on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Rocket cover? Your motor has rockets in it? :mrgreen:

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:32 pm

rocker cover is what i meant sorry. im not much of a English scholar

Hamz
Hard Yaka

Postby Hamz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:54 pm

heh, been waiting for that one, was worth it :D

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:43 pm

wheel's all finished. the fears cover wheels just 8) and dose not look too over track,
and last bit of a/c unit finished before tank is bolted in place.
had a play. but no air at this stage :?: the a/c unit is engaging but no air maybe a stuffed compressor :?: i could not believe how Meany leaves and twigs where in the a/c condenser box, it was choker.
Last edited by passengerpete on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sibainmud
Hard Yaka

Postby sibainmud » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Very nice 8)
Now to use it in anger or will it be a show pony?
Awesome build.
Cheers,
I keep looking for the loose nut behind the wheel, but I can't find it!!

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:05 pm

sibainmud wrote:Very nice 8)
Now to use it in anger or will it be a show pony?
Awesome build.
Cheers,

thanks mate, its no show pony :lol: looking forward to using it in anger, will add a vid of it being used latter cheers.

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:33 pm

Wicked bro. Wheels make it 8) Now to thrash it :lol:

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:52 am

lookn good dude, lookn good.

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Postby kbjj » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 am

Nice work, I likey... have you tried ac pump on a fast idle? Mine seems to need that to start building pressure. I'm still running the one that was siezed :o must just heat sieze. Pumped 4 tyres up to 35psi from 19 yesterday, and it started making funny noises. Sounds ok now thou :lol: I'm interested to see how long it lasts before it destroys itself.

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:41 pm

kbjj wrote:Nice work, I likey... have you tried ac pump on a fast idle? Mine seems to need that to start building pressure. I'm still running the one that was siezed :o must just heat sieze. Pumped 4 tyres up to 35psi from 19 yesterday, and it started making funny noises. Sounds ok now thou :lol: I'm interested to see how long it lasts before it destroys itself.

bingo. that was the fix. just some more rpm. set hand throttle to about 1500rpm and inflated same tyre from 5psi to 30psi in 2min15seconds so about a minute faster. 8)

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:58 pm

total cost of onboard air was $230
some pics to add to kbjj wiring diagram just to help any body else out
this is behind the glove box. the three wires going straight up, are the a/c temp sensor. unplug and join green/black strip wire to green/orange stripe. the spear green/blue strip is spear but needs insulating.
too the right the theres two plugs the larger whitish one is the fan switch. on the male side of plug connect green/black stripe to black/white stripe.
i just T ed the green to the black.
this is the pressure switch plug, found tucked behind passenger side headlight green/orange stripe and green/red stripe, extend these to ya new pressure switch.
to test push the a/c button ya might hear the clicking of a relay switching. or just look at a/c pump and see ifs its engaging. so now your A/C air conditioning button is now your A/C air compressor button. :wink:

that's basically the truck done, cert next week, reg/wof after that then go playing. i quite enjoyed this build was very enjoyable. many thanks for all the advice given. and to tom for the winch bar and cross members, and to Nigel for miscellaneous machining and engineering, that was beyond me. cheers guys, see ya out there on the tracks some day.
Last edited by passengerpete on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:27 am

well done dude!! its gonna be a great feeling when ya get to go offroad for the first time.. end result achieved..!

be sure to take some footage of said outing plus let us know how ya cert etc goes man..

8)
ImageImage

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:01 pm

update time and well nothing really exciting to report but i have nothing better to do tonight.
so have clocked up 900kms and truck has excellent road manners. and on the motorway 100kms in 5th is 2300rpm so cheep on diesel. i still have not got around to swapping out gear box yet so 5th is still ugly bearing noise. and the clutch has a bad rattle. it went threw certifying and failed on 8 things witch where.
1 re route front brake hard line.
2 re install factory middle cross member. (had to scallop it a bit to fit and brace it up again.) will add a pic here latter.
3 radius the edges on seat mounts
4 add a 50mm weld to front chassis to close in.
5 print out of the wheel aliment
6 get the speedo working
7 get a wof. which i thought was odd because ya cant pass a wof with out the cert, it only failed on no cert lol
8 swoop out the drive shaft hoop bolts and replace with a higher ratted items.
so got all that finished went back for a recheck and pasted 8) 5 working days latter the cert plate was installed so went back to wof guy showed him the cert plate and then passed the wof, 8) got so reg on way home.
so next on the list is get off ass and change the gearbox, and upgrade the clutch with a qd32 one.
a mate got board one night and photoshopped the truck in to a ute. a king cab terrano sort of thing. im not sure if i like it or not it growing on me tho, not that i would do it to this truck. maybe a trailer queen tho :wink:
i have not been off road yet but now that i can drive it legally ill find low range soon. must do something with rear bumper soon too. and add lsd to front diff.
Last edited by passengerpete on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:33 am

Go with the second option Pete, that chop is awesome.
Want to come for a play tomorrow?

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:47 am

im keen as but cant make it as im in dunedin for weekend, but ill take a rain check for sure.

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Postby kbjj » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:53 pm

As you say, on a trailer queen not a bad idea. I think you should keep the the cab as is, somewhere to keep all your gear clean and dry (make a rack to keep cloths and sleeping bag off the floor, maybe stretchy mesh to roof), stop gear from getting covered in gorse, somewhere to sleep if need be, imho
Jeremy

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:57 pm

i was contemplating doing a roof chop on my ranno aswell, was going to do a square chop off behind the front door (with extra for gear etc) and finding a 4 door navara welldeck to modify. but then started looking at just replacing the whole body with a navara one, but going to save that for if i roll it.

id be keen to see if you go along with the chop, looks cool as.

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:38 pm

not chopping up this truck, its staying the same. with the exception of rear 1/4 cut, a full length roof rack for a roof top tent, and a new rear bar.

however if a deregistered terrano with blown engine and rooted drive train happened to come my way, then some thing very silly could happen.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:46 pm

sounds like it will be a oops the grinder slipped moment :lol:

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:16 pm

finally got around to doing some thing with noisy gearbox, just brought another one and put it in, only to find its got no second. so that sucked a bit :evil: so riped it out and put old one back in then took new one in to get rebuilt.
should get it back next week. will put new clutch in at same time.
put a cheeky bid on t/m for some more safari diffs and won so have some spears.
really need to get around to doing rear 1/4 cut.
Last edited by passengerpete on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 pm

passengerpete wrote:really need to get around to doing rear 1/4 cut.

Me too.
Based on this build thread you look like you very much know what you're doing, but in any event I've been researching the 1/4 chop & found this useful guide from an Aus site:

http://www.mudrhino.com.au/Docs/DIY2.pdf

Its for a GQ but same procedure for a WD.

By christ, this is a well engineered truck.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”