Zuk on 38's

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Re: Zuk on 38's

Postby Tan Zuk » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 pm

My Radius Tube is finally here!!!!!

After spending 3 weeks wasted on 2 shops that never bent the tube. I remembered book marking a frame shop when working on the Willys that bends custom frame rails. Gave them a call on Thursday and was at my door Tuesday.

Decided to drop everything and get to work on this Rad Tube and Support Brackets. Got the tube cut down and burned in made the bottom bracket and tacked it in place. Still need to make the 2 upper Brackets.

You will notice there is plenty of clearance between the Steering Arm and the Rad Tube. There is also enough room to be able to remove the FJ80 box.

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Tan Zuk » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Feels good to finally get that very complicated DS done. Don’t believe that Panhard Mount will ever move with that much bracing.

Here is the completed DS components:

1” Dropped FJ80 Box, Panhard Mount with Support Brackets and Modified Ford Shock Tower.

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Tan Zuk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:20 am

Here are some much needed updates with pics

Changed direction on the DS Radiator support bracket.

The size of the bracket was bugging me. This led me to a redesign of the bracket. Decided to cut an 1” off the length to make it resemble the stock bracket. There needed to be 2 relief holes cut in for the FJ box bolts. It was then capped off at the top for a cleaner look.

Always try and stay flexible with your designs. There is nothing wrong with making something better. Even though you have to remake something.

Reminder of 1st Bracket

Here is the revised version

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Tan Zuk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:21 am

PS Box rail and Bracket updates

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Tan Zuk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:23 am

Just wanted to give an update sorry no pics this time.

Decided that the motor and trans really needed to be in before the final front steering components were burned in. This will add the appropriate weight on the Rig to get a proper steering and Panhard Bar rod dimension.

Had one more obstacle to get through which was installing the motor and trams as 1 unit from the bottom. This meant that there needed to be a removable trans mount.

Decided to use the Rock 4x mount this moves the mount forward, eliminates the front DS interference and is removable.

After talking to Scott from Rock 4x the frame rail mounting points can be welded in with some plating to the outside rail and then bolt the mount in. This will eliminate the long mounting pinch clamps which I prefer

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Tan Zuk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:24 am

Finally decided on the next plan of attack.

Well, decided to try and put an empty block in for a trail install run. This was also done to mock up some brackets for AC and TG Toy power steering pump. The FJ80 box is close to where these components are going to live and wanted to make sure I had a real time look and see. Finally found a stock AC compressor with the manifold adaptors on it to use.

Getting the crane hoist in place and the engine block on the floor to see if a bottom side install could be done. Physics set in and there wasn’t enough ram length to get this done. The block was installed from the top with out problems even with the extreme height.

The trany will go in first. Don’t want to have to struggle with fitting it from underneath which is more of a PITA.

I’m also working on a removable trans mount. Ordered the Rock 4x mount to see how it looks. If used will probably modify it to eliminate pinch frame clamps and weld in a couple of angle pieces to the frame, this will make it a solid bolt in mount. May also add ¼ webbing around the outer sides of the mount this will add strengthen to the bent mount.

Here are a couple of pics of the block in for component clearances and bracket mock up. Engine bay hasn’t seen a block for about 2 years not really much of a big deal until you see the obstacles to over come to get it there.

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Tan Zuk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:26 am

Update

The Rock 4x mount was purchased so I didn’t have to make all the parts from scratch. Wanted to say there was nothing wrong with what they offer just had something else in mind.

With the mods made it is much stronger and has an angle mount that is welded to the inside of the frame rail after fish plates were added. The mount now rides on top of the angle mount and is bolted in place and can be removed.

The PS and AC were also being worked on. The FJ80 box, PS pump and the AC compressor seemed to be fighting for the same space. The pump was mounted lower to give more room for the AC compressor. This also seemed to work better so the fluid reservoir doesn’t have to be nearly has high either..

Finally came up with a bracket that seemed it was going to work for both the PS and AC. Now the decision to change over to serpentine pulleys was made. Got the pulleys and installed them. Now the bracket could be finished welded for the pump. Need to get a serpentine pulley AC compressor to finish the bracket.

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Tan Zuk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 am

Wasn’t happy with the way the bottom bracket mounting bolt was going to have to be installed and removal. Ended up reworking the brackets plates to make it more user friendly.

Bracket making is tedious work. The most important thing is to be sure that you can remove all the hardware without things getting in the way.

There is extra material left on the bracket because the AC compressor still needs to be added. Then there will be holes added to lighten the bracket and the excess material will then be removed.

Ordered the 1989 Geo Metro AC compressor. This uses the same Denso compressor only it has the serpentine pulley on it. The idler tension pulley that I plan to use is also from the same Geo Metro.

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Tan Zuk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:30 am

Got the AC compressor in on Friday, will be finishing the PS and AC bracket after the modified trans mount is completed.

Here is the modified Rock 4x mount installed. Liked the design of Scotts mount and let him know that I was going to make a weld in plate and do away with the pinch clamps.
Scott had mentioned that the mount was designed for those that didn’t weld just to make it a simple bolt on and the weld in bracket was cool with him.

Here is the weld in bracket option and was a bit time consuming to do.

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Tan Zuk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:32 am

Here is the finished PS/AC bracket. Still have to make some type of belt tensioner.

Got to say this one really had me scratching my head a few times. Just because you made the bracket doesn’t mean you are going to be able to use the bracket.

There were a lot of obstacles to overcome while making this bracket:

Rite off the bat the mounting bolt locations on the motor just happened to be dead middle of the rear support bracket.

The top mounting bolt for the pump was too long to remove because of the oil filter.

There wasn’t enough room to install the pump in the frame with the lower bracket ear on,

Welding a sandwich plate bracket will tend to move a bit making a tight fit if you are lucky.

Make the single bracket a simple design yet strong enough to hold both the PS/AC.

The top portion of the bracket needed to be left open to be able to pull tight on the PS/AC for a secure mounting.

Decided to use serpentine pulleys half way though making the brackets and lining up the pulleys was a bit of a challenge as well.

You can purchase a compressor but it does not come with the manifolds to connect the hoses to.

Probably forgot a few and finally got it done despite the obstacles.

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Tan Zuk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:34 am

Finished up the belt tensioner and bracket and installed a 4 ribbed belt.

Needed to make a custom return line elbow for the pump because the pump is located between the frame and motor.

Here are a few views of the finished PS/AC. To mount the pump in the bracket with the motor in the engine compartment. The front lower arm needed to be removed which does not compromise the strength of the bracket.

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Tan Zuk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:35 am

Motors In!!

Tan Zuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Tan Zuk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:37 am

That's all for now, still have got quite a way to go.

Hope you enjoy

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:10 am

wicked 8)
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

Return to “Projects / Mod's”