Volvo C304 4x4 Build/Restoration - WR002

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Re: Volvo C304 4x4 Build/Restoration

Postby Cameron » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:38 pm

hopefully the painting goes ok in the end!
you must be reallllly keen to see the end of this project! been a long itme coming!

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:03 pm

Cameron wrote:hopefully the painting goes ok in the end!
you must be reallllly keen to see the end of this project! been a long itme coming!

You have no idea lol.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:42 am

2 Feb 2016

I rung for a progress report and got told none so I asked why he said no staff to do the body work. So being years since I prepped a body I volunteered to do my own vehicle.

Monday wa a pub holiday and they offered me the workshop for Sunday and they would help me Monday.

So Sunday morning 9am im 190k away from home at the workshop. I start had a quick look at the Cabin and did a quick plan of attack. All day I played with small amounts of body filler. By the end of the day the cabin wac starting to look close to being ready for paint. Original dents etc were left alone

The frame as Sunday morning

My companion while I did the top of the cabin was the workshop new guarddog the cazy happy 7month old mongrel

The rear panel is a bit of a mess but its been decided its original we leave it.

Filling the repair work from the patches added to the roof.

Oh yeah the pooch likes ICE as its over 34c here at present

Preparing the paint

Inside of the cabin top painted

We sat this here this morning ready to paint then we realised the sealant we added at lunchtime took 24 hours to cure our mistake for not picking it up yesterday

So after 2.5 days work of pure hard work in the heat I have made a lot of progress.
Early this evening we moved stuff around to enable the rear cage to be painted.

Rear cage 2/4 sanded tomorrow they can finish it and paint it

The doors are being taken apart a there is a small rust issue in the top/bottom join area.

3rd coat on the top of the cabin.

So next Monday Chinese new year to be spent in the workshop.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:35 am

That's it aye, you just have to get in there and do it yourself!!!!!

Its going to get dented, scratched and used, so its only going to look rough until the first trip while the paints still shiny, after that any imperfections will blend away and you will be the only one that notices them :D :D :D :D :D

Good work 8) 8)
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:43 am

Its great to see it finally on its way to completion.

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:07 am

Way 8) to see it happening at last.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:51 am

8 February 2016

Chinese new year Holidays

Arrived monday morning to the pleasant sight of the rear cage and all parts painted that I had left the week before.

Brett stuck the engine and gearbox on the forklift and then left for CNY lunch and said you can nstall and oh yeahlearn to drive the forklift lol.

2 hours later I had it all installed but need new gearbox mount bushes.

Then started on the 18,500lb winch install. Success again took me about 2 hours plus searching and cleaning up parts areas to get stuff out.
Last edited by geckoadventure on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:52 am

9 February

Had assistance from the builder all day and we managed to get the cage installed and bolted down after installing the WARN 12,000lb winch and tightening the 18,00 bolts down correctly.

Then dinner time for both of us and we packed up at 5pm after getting the fuel tank reinstalled yet again and the gear change installed and bolted it. A whole pile of parts washed and a list of parts needed to buy.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:54 am

10 February

Morning starts with washing the dusty parts and yeah playing with the puppy.

And the finl result is washed parts eventually and a half washed puppy

Lunchtime and I have the radiator and the intercooler bolted down everything is connected except hose clamps it all takes time including cleaning out threads etc.

Then late arvo it's all hands on deck to mount the two rear panels while I have been testing that all the front panels are fitting and doing final trimming and I take the second hand 80 Series muffler out for a scrub

At the end of the day what do we have well it's starting to look pretty good. It's time to head off to my chinese mums place and collect wifey for the longg drive home.

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:56 am

looking good. :)
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:33 pm

mudsurfv6 wrote:looking good. :)

Yup cant wait to see it in action.... feels like years :lol:
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:23 am

19 February 2016

Friday morning dashed up the 190K to the workshop and arrived just after the workshop opened at 8.10am

Idea was to run arround and get parts etc ready for Saturday and Sunday

After much running around and forgetting parts I pulled the wiring loom out after shoving the wire eating pupppy outside we layed it out for the morning.

So a the end of Sunday what do we have apart from my employee ringing me and saying my RED truck as funny noises from the rear after they took it offroad. So we pack up early for the 20k run down the road to check it out then another 175k home. Fark TOW TRUCK back to Kuala Lumpur turns out the rear locker
tore itself apart after it was stripped today (Wednesday).

We have a wiring loom sitting in the truck all cable tied up and a few connections done. Rear taillight has a broken bolt and rsuted insides so I need new ones from sweden first.

All the wires hanging out of it. The cabin is not on as there is still issues with the engine area. The 12 alternator took me a day to get it to fit properly and belts fitted inluding 2 trips to the spare parts shop to get them correct.

Little Joe has some fun with the puppy after spending 2 days stripping paint.

Then we have a pile of parts to paint or electropaint and anodize.

Oh yeah then the 2 weekend helpers the stripper and the wire man.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:39 am

Sunday 6 March 2016

A quick dash up to IPOH. 1hour 15 mins a new record time and the 190k slides by early in the morning air - go ISUZU.

Finally I have the pesky alternator installed after a couple of days effort

Then it's time to lower the cabin bottom onto the chassis after lunch.

And hey 2 hours later we have it sitting on the chassis

The junior driver Joe

OK so I'm happy is installed

Then we install the service ladder for fun

Monday 7 March 2016

I decide to cleanup the items I have been cleaning up at home and get them painted. Grill, Engine cover, PEdals, Air cleaner, front prop shaft etc

Es gives them a coat of axle undercoat black

Then the cabin had to be removed as the turbo cooling sill not worked out properly and the power steering hoses need to be installed.

I pack the doors to take them back to Kuala Lumpur to work on next weekend. Then it's time or the long haul back to KL.

Sunday 12 March 2016

Doors sitting in the ISUZU at home. I am in 2 minds strip the complete outside of the doors or and and add another coat off paint. I decide strip and reunderccoat and top coats as I don't want 6 layers of paint

Doors ready for stripping

A pair of doors now ready for final sanding and a minor repair and then painting.

Stripping the paint revealed 2 war wounds from it's days as a RIOT squad truck I assume from the grills. They will be further sanded down as part of the character being left on the truck.

I have a growing list of parts to get or deal with. Tomorrow is the dash parts to the powdercoaters.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:24 am

Good to see its still moving along...
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:17 am

Almost, almost. It is going to be cool to finally see it all together

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:43 pm

It's getting closeeeeee!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:44 am

Taz wrote:It's getting closeeeeee!

Lol

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:44 am

19 March 2016

Saturday morning finds me and an assistant Rob at the workshop before 8am collect the keys
greet the happy puppy an then go have breakfast and discuss the plan as Rob has to be back in
KL by 4pm.

Rob preparing the dimensions for the cutting out of the service hatch panels and the
surprise. They are to be laser cut and prepare in the coming weeks.

By lunchtime I have quite a bit of the soundproofing done in the cabin.

It's too hot for the workshop puppy he just lies around stealing stuff and breaking it. 39c
is very hot lol.

Then it's time to take Rob back to KL and then dinner refuel and the nite drive back up. End
of the day 570k travelled.

20 March 016 (Sunday)

I also apply paint stripper to the one door I have to work on and commence to get rid of the
body filler. The black is the rust converter.

More soundproofing work continued.

I gotta get rid of these holes. ooks like the welder has to come out and I have one more to
fix and the roof needs a repaint we found a istake which needs fixing.

Even the front of the window is being soundproofed.

The dogs collection of damaged kit.

Then I mounted the doors and checked alignment - opps some bending required.

Then I install the front windows again and try and find the seal rubbers cannot.

21 March 2016 Monday

The overhead instrument console is layed out getting it ready to take to Rob to get measured
up to get laser cut.

Then it's time to do the console instrument layout check with the new steering wheel. The
console will be remade its not right.

I move onto the overhead console and lay it out until im happy with it. It's also to be
laser cut.

Then the afternoons progress is slowed by the arrival of Nazir who has come to collect the
Volvo's old engine for his C303 restore project. Happy restoring Nazir I will come and visit
you in Taiping soon. That is a cool old Chev pickup he has.

Then the final task for the day is to swap the sneakers and empty more junk from the
workshop wow 7 pieces removed in one day.
Last edited by geckoadventure on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:03 pm

good progress.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:29 pm

26 March 2016

First task connect the Powersteering inspection reveals the banjo bolt is missing hmmmmmmmmmm I

know just the shop. A quick run down to the parts street gets me the parts I need 8mm 12mm and

10mm hoses and connectors etc

Then the task of fitting the turbo water inlet. Since we had to chop the top of the thermostat

housing off which contained the turbo cooling inlet and outlet taps. We have a donor location

from the left side of the engine unfortunately. Worked it all out another trip to the hydraulic

shop and the same assistant lol.

On the way back I drop into a chop shop collect 12 military boxes and 6 special ones. Reveal on

these later and also pickup a diesel filter and housing as this was missing from the engine

when I bought it.

More puppy damage a new scraper destroyed before I even used it.

Then the arduous task of removing the broken sump bolt. Drill it out then try and find the

eaziouts I bought in the morning. Searched for ages could not find. In frustration I climb the

office stairs and then spy a pile of rubbish near the Landrover and investigate yes the eazi

out packaging destroyed along with the plastic case.

Recover the eazi outs and finally have the errant bolt out. Victory finally. Now sump can have

the oil temp sender fitted and fit it back.

Turbo cooling hoses connected. The turbo shielding needs work. Will install this one and build

another fancier one out of alloy in coming weeks as this one has transport damage.

The left side of the engine almost completed change al of the vacccum hoses to new blue silicon

until I ran out more needed. Only 2 pipes need sorting out still. Power teering pump hoses all

connected - mounts to cabin but that may change soon as engine needs to drop out as a complete

unit from the cabin.

Hometime 7.15pm and long horrid drive home ensures in the dark. The brakes stink by the time I

get to the restaurant in KL by 9pm from the heavy braking from 150-170kph constantly.

Next visit we will be changing the wiring loom to split it with a military plug at the cabin

and hopefully filling the engine with oil and starting it. Well it's the goal.
The consoles may also be cut and ready for test fit. The dash's will also be fitted and the air cond parts.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:30 am

3 April 2016

Quick trip up Sunday morning to Ipoh 190k whizzes past quite fast.

Today's goal is to finish the soundproofing in the cabin and then move on to whatever is left.

First install the last turbo cooling pipe adapter for the 10mm to 8mm tubes.

My helper today is little Jo.

We both tackle the soundproofing until we realise we are out with 1-2 sheets needed. The little cabin has consumed 8 sheets. So we move onto the doors and remove the door handles ready for powdercoating.

Then the puppy decides he wants lots of attention from Joe

Seats are fixed up after we realise a base is not screwed in corretly.

Then the doorhandles are stripped with the wire wheel.

End of the day we have 90% of the soundproofing done.

Suddenly it's hometime.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:31 pm

Making awesome progress, bet you want to shoot that dog sometimes... :lol:

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:35 am

good stuff mate!

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:50 pm

9 April 2016 - Saturday

3 day to IPO starts with a late Friday night trip to Ipoh as it'ss last weekend of Cheng Meng (chinese grave cleaning). Traffic is shit.

Fit the powdercoated left side of the dash but the bolt holes don't line up looks like I gottaa make another an oversight it's 30 mm too low so there is a gap between the dash and the window frame.

Then I fit the centre console for a fit before putting in the fuse box and wiring.

I also need to go get 5mm button bolts we have none in the shop.

Then it's time to put the new power steering together for a dry fit as I try to round up the parts. Takes me a while to figure it out. Then I have 3 parts still to find. Find them when Brett turn up later on Saturday evening in a box I would have not looked in lol. Dry fit completed.

Then I pull out of the parts boxes a much needed bonus a 180degree bend and it fits the turbo bonus.

10 April 2016 - SUnday

Remaking panel time. The errant panel being recut.

Fit the fuse box's and wiring to the centre console.

After lunch its fitted to the cabin

Then I look at the right side of the dash and decide mods are needed fo the warning lights.

Remaking time 20 minutes later I have the rough shape ready.

A few spare minutes gives me time to remove the rest of the body filler from the door to expose the reason for the body filler. Pop rivets from the police screens just body filler over. They will now be drilled out and filled with lead over the coming weeks a home.

11 April 2016 - Monday

By lunchtime I have the air cond blower holes ready and working and the bolt holes drilled to match this time.

Power steering fit test damn the 90deg fittings have to go and be replaced by straight ones.

Then the big mistake - someone left the top panel of the centre console on the floor for a couple of years its ruined with moisture. I have to remake and out of 2mm alloy this time not 1mm.

The truck looks a lot more complete.

Then it's hometime its 6pm.

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:20 pm

starting to take shape!
loving the updates mate. can't wait to see some trip reports with this thing again

Checkerhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Checkerhead » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:56 pm

Looking awesome Geko, keep it up.
Supercharged VH45 Surf safari winch truck in the making
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33527&hilit=checker%2A

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:17 am

16 April 2016 - Saturday

Everything goes bad wake up late, on road late by 75 min and hit the 7am traffic 2.5 hours later one frustrated KIWI with a ISUZU with hot brakes pulls up at the workshop with a happy puppy delighted to see me. Oh yeah and the wife came along to visit her mum in IPOH also bitched the whole way about my driving.

After the morning Mum greetings etc. Down to the worksop. First parts collection go fix the power steering hoses and swap the elbow bends for straights and get them relamped and purchase gasket glue for fitting the sump. Then the air conditioning hose needs to be found and purchased that turns into nightmare 2 shops dissappear into dead ends with WAZE and then I fluke a 4x4/air cond shop however since my car is not being serviced by them the service guy starts yelling at the shop lady in cantonese and I stand there lisening to strings of cantonese being rattled off like a machine gun. Eventually she rings someone I assume the shop owner and I get 8 feet for an outrageous price. Then need bolts over to the bolt shop for a minor success. it's now 1pm when I arrive at workshop again so straight to lunch instead. Actually it's LUNCH from FRIDAY and DINNER and SATURDAYS breakfast. Yeah yesterday was a bitch in the office.

First job create a J bracket to hold the blower as curently it HANGS by 2 brackets. Yeah
someone did not finish the blower stuff off properly. Takes me all arvo to create this as I not want to drill a hole in the front of the CABIN as that was the easy way to create a rust hole later. So it take 4 hours of stuffing around just after 5pm I have a nasty bracket made up ready to paint.

Painted and drill 2 holes up under the dash mount the 2 RIVNUTs and then it all bolts together and the blower hoses also fit however we will need to put the window wiper arms in there is no room. So I will have to make up 2 Y joints for the drivers side to provide more space for the wiper kit. The blower doen't shake so the design holds up.

The hoses in place ready for the air conditioning contractor to finish off.

The clutchmaster cylinder and the master brake booster etc have also been fitted and still needs a little finishing.

6pm time fed the puppy etc now to find a hotel and food. Now that's a bad idea 4 beers and a nice chinese later I literaly stagger upstairs for a well eaned proper sleep. Wife went home in the train.

Tomorrow is the air conditioning condenser fit.

17 April 2016 - Sunday

Morning no breakfast woke up too late. Faactory is opened for me 8.30am 9.00am I come back from breakfast to start.

Todays task make these 4 pieces into one joined unit and bolted to the service hatch. Intercooler, Air cond condenser and the shroud and the fan.

The fan has nothing its bare. So 10 brackets (and 10 round down bolts made up) need to be made and fit the shroud to the air cond condenser and the condenser to the intercooler.

I finish about 5pm and bolting it down the FAN Breaks damn, falling off a few months back and hitting Pete on the head then the floor cracked it. Now I gotta order a new one.

Then it's time to fit the sump after sitting on the shop floor for 3 years. I can fill it with oil next trip.

Next trip is on 7th May. I have charity work next weekend and then 4x4 driver training the May long weekend. I take the doors home with me for leading at home.

Parts ordered for clutch slave cylinder and copper piping to connect it all up. I will also start the brakes and next trip finish the gearbox mounts and all the small things needing to be done. Next round of Tanaka parts will have been ordered and shipped.Oh yeah the fan is ordered and ready to pickup.

Centre console will be ready and as also will the speaker brackets along with the service hatch panels all of the above being lazer cut.

7pm hometime its a crawl 3 hours home.

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:45 am

Looking good - what an epic project!

One thing I'd do differently with that wiring is use relay mounting blocks for all those relays rather than having loose terminals. Super tidy otherwise :D

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:09 am

are you still going to have seats in the rear bit?

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:53 am

Cameron wrote:are you still going to have seats in the rear bit?

Yes the optional seats are being setup. 10 mins the seats are in or out.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”