fj45 rat rod (ish)

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Re: fj45 rat rod (ish)

Postby diogenese » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:18 am

If they are the same as door hinge bushes try http://www.allfourx4.com.au/epages/shop ... iewProduct

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:28 am

-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:09 pm

diogenese wrote:If they are the same as door hinge bushes try http://www.allfourx4.com.au/epages/shop ... iewProduct

LOL $67 landed seems a bit high for 4 bushes that start out at $8, but I'll have another look later at a few other places.

Cheers.

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:48 pm

I paid $20 for about 3kg of parts.just before Christmas from there .

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:16 am

Heath wrote:
diogenese wrote:If they are the same as door hinge bushes try http://www.allfourx4.com.au/epages/shop ... iewProduct

LOL $67 landed seems a bit high for 4 bushes that start out at $8, but I'll have another look later at a few other places.

Cheers.

Realised this morning I've seen bushes like that somewhere sitting on the shelf, Pararubber or something like that. Will keep an eye out, what are the measurements?
-----------------------

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:36 pm

wjw wrote:
Heath wrote:

Cheers.

Realised this morning I've seen bushes like that somewhere sitting on the shelf, Pararubber or something like that. Will keep an eye out, what are the measurements?

I'll take some into para for a looksee. Cheers.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:02 pm

Right. Been a while, but finances took a dive when I became an apprentice so I am time rich and money poor.

Slowly working through a few odds and ends.

Front end mocked up and just have to sort body mounts for the front panels/guards (may have mentioned that a while back but cant remember).

I bought a thingee that you use to turn over the oil pump (remove the dizzy to get access) so the engine can be primed with a drill before turning it over.

The windscreen is now cut and joined together 3 inches shorter. Wasnt quite as simple as I had imagined. The screen is two pieces welded together (tow shells -front and rear) and the inside portion is easy, but the exterior has sloping sides so was a bitch to work with. I stepped the cuts to give more strength to the joints.

Anyhow Its done now and Ive laid some etch primer over it and flicked some bog at the worst bits, before I blow some primer on and get it smooth.

Right time for pics. Not all in order so you'll have to bare with me if they are repeats

Last edited by Heath on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:09 pm

Some ugly welds there I'll agree. Been a while and I am way out of practice. But they are strong and the grinder took most of the badness away.

Rust was a bitch for sure. Treated the hell out of the insides while it was in bits and then again when it was welded - flooded the whole thing and stained the garage floor - opps. Sorted the bigger bits and the small pin holes got some bog - not proud of that short cut but to be honest I was pissed off and just needed to make progress - might address it later on but for now its ready for some smoothing and then some glass.

I'll smooth out the cab back section and this at the same time and blow some primer over them both, before I flick a can of spray (in the colour I will paint the rest of it) over the window mounting surfaces that will be hidden by rubber when I do the rest of the body. Then it can sit for a few months before I figure out how to mount the glass and cut/glue the brand new original windscreen rubber to fit the new dimensions.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:22 pm

Oh yeah the filler cap in the cab is going to get cut out. Lining it up with the new chassis mounted tank was too much of a pain so I'll get rid of it (get some room in the cab) and I have a sneaky plan.

I am going to make a fuel can rack/mount behind the drivers side on the running board (that will get made) and into this I will weld a metal fuel can (big jerry can type). I'll rip the back out of it and use the can to cover the ugly bit of chassis I cant hide (cut to fit). Then I'll take the cap off the jerry can and replace it with the cap set up from the back of the cab and run a hose from that down to the fuel tank (all hidden in the jerry can). I get a lockable fuel lid, a relocated filler point, get to disguise the chassis and something different to boot. The pass side I am looking at modifying one of my old ammo boxes with a hinge at one end and doing the same that side (but making it water tight) for the bottle jack, jumper leads etc and making it lockable too.

But before I get that far I still have to sort the chassis fish plates that still havent been done by the welder here - his work is shit and he needs more practice before he does that bit.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:25 pm

Don't use fish Heath. Best you try and use flitch plates bud :mrgreen:
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:16 pm

rokhound wrote:Don't use fish Heath. Best you try and use flitch plates bud :mrgreen:

Flitch plates are for strengthening wooden beams dude and Im not sure I have the skills to weld wood.

My WB chassis isnt a wooden chassis - it is old but not ancient. LOL

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:20 pm

still called flitch plates when I lengthened or shortened trucks
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:38 pm

coxsy wrote:still called flitch plates when I lengthened or shortened trucks

Okay, I'll conceed to you "older, more knowledgeable chaps"...LOL

I wonder if fish is an abreviation of filtch? Lazy kiwi english.

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:49 pm

You use fish plates to join railway track together too.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:35 am

-----------------------

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:18 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flitch_beam (redirected from flitch plate to there)

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:23 pm

I went in to the paint supplier yesterday to get a few bits I need for painting but they were closed so I figured Id do something related to spraying.

My compressed air is too moist to paint (and use air tools apparently) so I whipped this up to work as a condenser between my compressor/regulator/water trap and my second larger water trap. It gets mounted vertically after the compressor and the idea is that the pipe volume and length allows the air to cool and the moisture to condense inside the pipes. I only need 35psi at my gun for spraying, so Ill run the first regulator at about 60psi, then the pipe work will deal with the heat/moisture and then the second regulator will be at 45 ish psi before I set the gun pressure (at the gun regulator).

Still needs finishing (picked up the end caps in little bags and didnt check them all and grabbed an end plug in one bag (bugger) and I need another little ball valve to drain the tubes. Oh yeah it pays to check everything as I picked up a reducer (15mm to what I thought was suitable - but didnt check) and its wrong, so another trip to an air place I think will be faster.

Not sure how the thread tape will go so might grab some thread sealer as well while I am out and use that. :|

Might add another 2 inch dia piece of pipe 500mm long with desicant after the last water trap and put a dust filter on just after that to catch any crap from the desicant.

Any one got a 500MM long piece of steel pipe threaded at both ends with a couple of end caps , that I can buy (yes I am aware of what that sounds like) and then tap some fittings into the caps (and make up some filter screens to hold the desicant in place). :mrgreen:

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:51 am

Thread tape should work, used it to test my compressor upto 150psi.
-----------------------

Marked

Postby Marked » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:25 pm

A cheaper condenser that I have used is a second air hose coiled in a big tub of water before a water trap - if the weather is not too warm, you can get away with just leaving the first coiled air-hose in the shade for most jobs.

I only ever bother with this when spraying paint. For air-tool use, I just make sure I pre-lube and post-lube to keep tool longevity and put up with the water. Most of my air tools were collected as non-working hand-me-downs from an apprenticeship 25 years ago and have worked fine since I un-siezed them and followed the regular lube program, despite copious amounts of water flowing through them from an undersized and overworked air compressor.

Remembering to regularly drain your compressor is also something worth remembering. Done regularly you will be removing small amounts of clean water - done rarely you will get a mess of rusty, oily liquid. I know what I would rather have my compressor pistons/rings dealing with ...

Thanks for the posts, by the way - just read through about 10 pages worth and am nearly inspired to go check out my rusty ol' 45 and the various rust patches I am in the middle of fabricating but are themselves starting to rust away ...

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Got asked a while back about progress.

Not much to add. Still doing little odd jobs and collecting bits to finish off the air drier thingee. Cash is still tight and my overtime is being channelled where it needs to go, which isnt always where I want to spend it.

Separated from the missus for 3 months (long story not for here - just after our 25th wedding anniversary - not a great time in my life) which killed the project completely. Diagnosed with PTSD and depression caused by the 2011 quake (tried to man it out but made it worse and in the end I got pretty dark planning my "exit strategy") but therapy is sorting that shit out now. Unfortunately I pissed off a few good mates along the way, who arent mates anymore with my behaviour before I knew what was going on (I figured Id just lost the plot). Clock it all up to life giving you a kick in the teeth when you are down I guess. On the plus side I lost 18kgs in 8 weeks and have kept most of it off (needed to lose a few more but I'll get there normally).

Almost sold it to free up some cash but we are back together and moving forward.

So plans are to get the drier done for xmas so I can get some primer on it for a bit of sanding and then top coat (ish). First I have to finish the front guard mounts....

The list is never ending.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:23 pm

generally gald you are back together , and getting it back together :D

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:15 am

earthquakes shit of a time heath,,,glad ya getting sorted mate ..............shit of a way to diet but ......... :wink:
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:25 pm

Heath, Well done for admitting you need the help mate. I hope all works out for you.

Glad to see this thread come back up too. :-)

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Cheers guys.

Not meant to turn this into a pity party for me, but shit happens and its how we deal with it that matters ...LOL

I havent given up on this piece of crap and I'll drag its sorry ass back on the road one way or another. :D

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:08 pm

hey patrol forum run a "are you ok" thread the shit these guys go through over there. wow
and support is support :D

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:10 pm

Okay been ages.

The project isnt dead but my budget died a while back. I started an electrical apprenticeship and the drop in pay meant I had to mothball things.

On the plus side this meant I could think through a lot of stuff and get some plans sorted.

So now Im qualified Im looking at moving things forward again. So stay tuned.

8)

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Excellent Heath!!
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

bigstu
Hard Yaka

Postby bigstu » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:24 pm

Awesome look forward to seeing

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:07 pm

Congrats on qualifying for the trade :mrgreen:

4x4
Driver/Navigator

Postby 4x4 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Good to hear. Was thing a while back what ever happen to this.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”