fj45 rat rod (ish)

BGOSNZ
Bush Crasher

Re: fj45 rat rod (ish)

Postby BGOSNZ » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:22 pm

Heath wrote:
Anyone else spend 90% of their garage time searching for something they just put down? :?

I can relate to that one and it often enters my mind that the amount of time I have saved by not puting things away and just leaving them on the bench has added to this often frantic search which isn't always for something abandoned long ago.

I had one this morning with a 3mm Drill, took it from the box got the drill from the cupboard and could not find the drill bit.

I must have dropped it on the bench top which is alu with some force as it rolled under the vlce which is bolted onto the bench and took some searching to find.

Not a too much crap on the bench one this time but it did encourage me to put everything away left from a previous job and sweep the floor when I finished the wee job ( drilling some more holes in my belt) I was doing.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:40 pm

Not much happening other than sanding and a little bog and more sanding etc etc etc.

But to show I have been doing something here is a pic of the roof in a coat of filler primer ready for a little wet and dry action later.

On the plus side this little panel did offer up some more training. Mainly in the form of removing oil-canning and shrinking some metal (creases and dimples). I guess as long as I keep learning as I go this is still worth it even if it seems like nothing is happening. It took 2 hours to get rid of a large dent, which kept springing back in(oil canning) after I thought I had got it out. Spent some time with some panel dollies and a small hammer tapping around some stress points and then after 45 mins it got smaller almost like magic. Another 20 mins and it has almost gone. I wont push my luck and try to get it perfect as I figure I could just as easily go too far and bugger it more. Sometimes learning is just about knowing when to stop.

:mrgreen:

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Rims sorted. Smoothies with smooth chrome rings and smooth moon caps (not the baby ones - too small)

Gauges sorted.

Well when I mean sorted I mean I have decided. Still have to order and pay for them. Wheels will be soon and gauges (accompanied by a wiring kit) next year.
Buying through a NZ supplier which is great - support NZ if possible.

Oh and I got some sand paper too for a little wet and dry action later...

smurf182
Hard Yaka

Postby smurf182 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:12 pm

Is this the sort of look you're going for with the gauge cluster?

http://man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/Dash%20Gauge%20Panels.htm

I've heard of people using a spare glovebox lid and mounting their gauges in that.

Personally I wouldn't change from the stock cluster - it's got so much character - but ignore my comment, it's your build!

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:43 pm

Original cluster is buggered (broken and corroded inside) so no go there. I figured as long as I'm going to be silly I may as well get some bling in there. Nice simple gauge cluster will do the trick (saves having lots of holes to cut and fill).

Nice link though, someone else might like to use that...

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Little hint for those of you who are too eager like I was when painting some primer filler.

Always check the spray pattern on something other than just getting straight into it. Little wet and dry sorted that little issue. Lesson learned for me.

Got a little top coat on tonight, still needs a little more as its a little thin, so I'll sort another can during the week.
Not too bad. Does need some finishing (can see some blemishes under the top coat now (typical), but it will do considering how it was when I started I am happy for now.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:22 pm

I really need to get a better paint delivery system - HVLP gun is on the wish list, but this little panel is okay with a rattle can (well ... several cans).

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:43 pm

Nearly there.

Not sure I like it but it will do for now - its a talking piece if nothing else.

snotgoblin
Hard Yaka

Postby snotgoblin » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Every rod has to have a talking.. Looking good ..

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:37 pm

Been a while so I figured I'd mock things up and get some motivation going too.

All held together with vice grips, but you get the idea. Front guards may have to be raised a touch to get some clearance from the tyres (and let me fit some drop spindles so I can drop it further). Ground to cab edge is about 250mm so will have to sort that, but it will do for now. I have some trans stunnel work to do as the tranny contacts a little (I expected it but hoped for the best) so a little more grinder and welding for me. Might take the opportunity to tidy up the tunnel and remove the holes I dont need.

Steering shaft will need shortening (maybe raised a touch too)

Engine clearance looks good so no need for a bonnet hump or scoop (not sure if I am happy or sad about that.

flyingbrick
Hard Yaka

Postby flyingbrick » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:11 pm

All you need to do is fit a tunnel ram and/or a velocity stack (one on TradeMe that's redline brand)

Lookin good!

Are you going to drop the body lower over the chassis? That will remove some underhood clearances. Gotta get it lowewwww
phone Ross Bolus (secretary of the BOP club) He'll save you.

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:39 pm

flyingbrick wrote:
Lookin good!

Are you going to drop the body lower over the chassis? That will remove some underhood clearances. Gotta get it lowewwww

Couldn't agree more. Im loving the build :)

So......... ;) what's of importance under the seats? Chop the floor out, lower the seats and whack another few inches out of that back window area :mrgreen: you look like your already committed to sorting the steering column? You could delete the rear corner windows which would save a fortune on glass. Flat safety glass is cheap :)

Oh yeah, love the roof paint :)

flyingbrick
Hard Yaka

Postby flyingbrick » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Deleting those windows is a good idea.

This has the beginnings of such a badass ride
phone Ross Bolus (secretary of the BOP club) He'll save you.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Drop spindles up front and some blocks down the back will drop it closer to the weeds and will mean I have to lift the guards up (which will look cool anyway - especially when I make the guards 2 inches wider as well). From the front I want it to look really wide and squat.

Cant be assed cutting out the floor again and raising it any more (its almost level with the door frame edge now). If I am honest it was a bitch of a job and not something I would relish doing again. cant drop the roof much more either as it is just above my head and I'm not tall (and I plan on putting in a roll bar... maybe).

Windows are staying as is (I like having the corner glass for visibility and I have spares for all the rear glass), the windscreen will be built to order and so will the door glass, which will cost enough without getting crazy.

There is about 1.5 inches between the bonnet and the air filter housing. A high rise might be in my future I think, but not the near future (maybe after the cert process), I love the idea of a bug catcher scoop up there peeking out just to break up the flat bonnet (maybe I will leave the clips/catches on the bonnet or put a hump instead - for later - LOL)

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Care parcel from the US arrived today with rebuild kits for 2 of my carbs.

Just got to sort out why a couple of bits are missing (not really needed and not invoiced either) so need to sort that before I start rebuilding.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Found some pics of another shorty FJ 40...

89lux
Hard Yaka

Postby 89lux » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:33 pm

that is one nice 40 love the roof chop low a squat

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:30 pm

Small update as not much is happening but I started refurbishing one of the "spare Q jet carbs" I have today.

Glad I didn't just bolt it on as it was full of crud from god knows what.

Sorry no pics - I know - so It didnt happen. :wink:

Pics next time when I have something to show.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:53 am

while measuring backspace for new rims I figured I'd chuck the tyre into place for a looksee.

Looks like backspace will be fine.

and Width will be okay too.

Not much to see otherwise as I have a pile of carbs in bits, sorting good parts from bad and waiting for some new bits from USA.

Wheels might be Chrome smoothies (15x7 and 15x8) if I can get her indoors to agree the price is too good to ignore.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:58 pm

Wheels sorted and on their way to Chch.

Went with some plain chrome smoothies with moon caps (identical to cragar smoothies - but 1/2 the price). Multifit so if I change stud pattern its all cool (and means the fronts stay holden/chev for now and the rears ford). & inch for the front and 8 for the rears.

Price was too good to walk away from.

Also the last of my quadrajet parts are on their way (and some spares too - primary shaft bush kits).

:mrgreen:

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Decided I needed to get a bit of a move on with cleaning up some bits so I dragged the blaster cabinet out. It was too low to be comfortable to use so I bought a cheap shop trolley, flipped the top shelf over and welded the base of the cabinet to the tray. Now I have a mobile blaster with room for the media underneath. Mobile means I can do stuff in the open and not put dust everywhere in the garage.

Started pulling the brakes (Holden PBR calipers) to bits so I could give them a clean up and they are pretty seized (well the pins in the calipers are, even heat didnt make much difference). Got one out after an hour of trying gave then a good dose of crc and left them.

mudbugga
Hard Yaka

Postby mudbugga » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:21 am

Bloody great work there Heath.

When it comes time for your glass to get sorted, try this fella.
Precision Autoglass 0800 582582 Tim Huffadine
He is very good at his work. We use him quite a bit through work.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:41 pm

mudbugga wrote:Bloody great work there Heath.

When it comes time for your glass to get sorted, try this fella.
Precision Autoglass 0800 582582 Tim Huffadine
He is very good at his work. We use him quite a bit through work.

Cheers Dude. I'll file that away for later.....LOL.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Shiney donut holders arrived today. This is one of the 7" ones, will unbox them all tonight and check for dents etc from courier. They have shiney moon caps too.

Had seen some rubberised paint that I could blast over the inner parts to give a Chrome rim and black centre with chrome cap look if I want to change things a little.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:29 pm

So to help with cleaning some smaller carb parts I grabbed this (would've liked the bigger one but couldn't justify it).

Before

After 10mins.

Seems to work okay. The bigger one may have been better faster etc but this works okay. "Cooking" a pile of linkages/springs/needles/jets etc now before storing them.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:29 pm

Had a sticky brake piston in the calipers I am rebuilding. Tried everything heat etc.

Surfed the net and found a method using grease gun to presurise the caliper and push the piston out. After another hour of mucking around I figured other than spending money and someone else doing it I would give it a crack.

BUGGER ME it worked. Real slow but simple as pie. Just messy and used a bit of grease to do it. So another problem resolved. Have repeated this in garage forum for reference.

Now I just need to get some new pistons and seals etc. Might give rare spares and Gasson motors a ring (and safe r brakes too) and see what they have.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:50 pm

Well its been a while and seeing as how it was only 29DegC in the garage I figured a pair of overalls and some PPE would be a good idea.

Anyhow the trans was fouling on the trans tunnel so this happened.

Good to get some garage time on something a bit more substantial than brake callipers or the carbs I am slowly rebuilding (have to clean out my blasting cabinet and refill with soda before next step in carbs build).

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:29 pm

best thing i have found for cleaning car parts is coke, a few 1.5 litre bottles in a bucket and leave over night, rinse off, and a quick spray with brake cleaner to get any residue off.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Pedro
Hard Yaka

Postby Pedro » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:45 pm

holy shit that coke is good stuff, how you get onto that one??

Pedro

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:59 pm

if it does that on metal imagine what happens in your guts after drinking it, but then again drunk it all my life sooo never mind :D
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Return to “Projects / Mod's”