fj45 rat rod (ish)

Heath
Hard Yaka

Re: fj45 rat rod (ish)

Postby Heath » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:08 pm

Just to get this right in my head.

first is 2k primer sealer, then filler primer , then top coat/s?

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:05 am

The order I used was, bog, filler primer. Then once you are happy with your body work, rub it all down with wet and dry then use 2K primer to seal it all. Rub that back and then top coats

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:52 pm

oldyella wrote:The order I used was, bog, filler primer. Then once you are happy with your body work, rub it all down with wet and dry then use 2K primer to seal it all. Rub that back and then top coats

That sounds logical to me.

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:11 pm

I was told to seal everything with an epoxy primer before any bog, then use high build primer over the bog and epoxy.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:50 pm

LOL

Seems every painter has a different method.

Too late to seal the steel up before bog so I will do it afterwards. I already have some etch primer (and used some) so I'll use that to keep everything sealed up before the bunging a filler primer over everything. I'l throw some black aerosol paint on (to suit the primers etc) as a sanding guide and fill as needed again before sealing it all with an epoxy primer. Then shoot some colour.

Bloody hell it takes a while doesnt it! Might wait to shoot colour and epoxy when the body is on the chassis (can roll it out of the garage so it gasses off outside once it has been sprayed so it doesnt stink up the house), but will do the rest as I go along. :wink:

Dr_PC
Hard Yaka

Postby Dr_PC » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Heath wrote:
rokhound wrote:2 pack durepox primer by resene. Hard to beat and hard as nails. All my gear (trailers, mobile plant, trucks and the mutt) have been under coated with this stuff. Apparently, you can use it as a top coat as well by adding clear into the mix (if you want a gloss)

Hard to use? Need piles of extra PPE gear, flash gun, thinners, spray booth and heaters?

I'd like to do this once and as I am finding the easy way isnt necessarily the right way... :mrgreen: I am intending to do the painting in my garage with drop cloths as walls around the "paint booth". I guess I could chuck in an oil column heater to warm things up (or paint in summer only - yeah, nah :wink: )

I think I have some homework to do.
Still have to sort the chassis paint yet (POR15 is currently the leader of the pack, but there is another that might fit the bill).

Painted my buggy with Resene 2 pack makes sense to wear a mask help keep the nose clear. Easy to use no special treatments. Used there primer and then had them mix my Orange to the shade I wanted. was easy.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Right best I sort a primer gun (and later a top coat gun).

Might start a new thread for this one. :mrgreen:

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:07 pm

I put etch primer down before my bog because I was working on alloy.

I don't think 2K before bog would be required for steel panels as the steel will prevent any water getting in. Unless it was a rusty section or something.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Not much happening at the moment. Waiting for rubbers from Aussie to put the cab back on and line things up properly before going silly with shaping the bog.

Picked up the roof from the blasters. Looks like a shot gun went off in the gutter almost all the way round (okay maybe 30% of the way round) with either small pin pricks or missing sections. A couple of the flat sections are going to have to be replaced (knew that before) but a few more bits are now visible.

Spent the afternoon in the sun removing the old glue (F2 maybe) that held the hood lining in place. Let just say it was a shit of a job, very time consuming for not a lot of anything, but its done and now I can forget it.

No pics - nothing to see really.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Got a care package from Aussie today.

Rear window and two small side window rubbers with some corner rubbers for the cab.

Just have to find the $$$ for the last couple of rubbers and I can move ahead more quickly. Just have the roof to fix up, before I rip the screen to bits and shrink it and then most of the cab will be complete. Then I will have to do the doors, but I'll get the body fitted to the chassis first (give me room in my garage again for working on the doors).

Nice to be ticking little jobs off the list. anyone tell me what to glue the rubber for the screen together with as I will have to cut it to fit the shortened screen height. Might splash out on a new rubber here too - may as well...

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:31 pm

You want to cold vulcanise it, a tyre patch glue may do it. Maybe try a tyre shop.
I will ask my boss as he had one made out of 2 for his fairlane.

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:03 pm

If it's new rubber then a razor blade and superglue will work perfectly.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:48 pm

So I managed to find some 40 series seats (not quite right but close enough - could modify them if I wanted too), but also found some datsun 120y seats too for comparison. Had to wait until I had both sets side by side to make an inform decision (and for the missus to have her say)

I'm thinking those buckets will look good trimmed up to suit (and it gets another vehicle marque in the mix too). Two seater will be more comfortable than the old 3 seater anyway.

Anyone want some old 40 series seats (tank under seat model), make me an offer.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:48 pm

So I managed to find some 40 series seats (not quite right but close enough - could modify them if I wanted too), but also found some datsun 120y seats too for comparison. Had to wait until I had both sets side by side to make an inform decision (and for the missus to have her say)

I'm thinking those buckets will look good trimmed up to suit (and it gets another vehicle marque in the mix too). Two seater will be more comfortable than the old 3 seater anyway.

Anyone want some old 40 series seats (tank under seat model), make me an offer.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Got some shed time tonight. Started cutting out the rust in the roof, but will stop as need to get some steel folded up for the replacement bits this week (have a cut out sample for them to use as a model).

More bog and sanding was followed by a bit of a mock up of the datsun seat and steering wheel.

Steering wheel looks to have to be angled up a touch and shaft maybe shortened a little to get a nice fit and height.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:58 pm

You sat in it and made v8 noises didn't you? :lol: datsun seats look way better than standard. Can't wait to see this one finished, bit of a change from the usual T-bucket pickup etc
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:31 pm

3VILC wrote:You sat in it and made v8 noises didn't you? :lol:

Were you outside? How would you know.... You got me, but I was picturing the layout of dash and visibility etc so had to sit there for a while (Thats my story - and who here hasnt done it?) :mrgreen:

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:57 am

Haha indeed I think any off us with a project are probably guilty of that one..I know I did :oops: Actually I think I did it sitting on the beer crate I put in to sit on so I could steer it into the shed before it even had seats lol
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:50 pm

Not much happening lately. I got something in my eye at work a few weeks back and it buggered my sight (and the doc said no working in dusty areas - LOL thats my job - Digging holes with supersonic air).

So I decided to up the protection at home and found this.

Has tear away type covers for the screen so I can/will use it for painting and for any grinding or sanding too. Yeah I know its over kill but the dirt I got in my eye got past a set of safety glasses and a face shield. This with a seal will stop shit bouncing past any protection. I'll just use the half mask one for welding (and airbrushing when I get back to it). Only got one set of peepers and the last few weeks nearly drove me nuts (no depth perception and hard driving in any sort of glare - night time was a ... challenge), so I'm going to look after these ones.

I did get some stuff done - Had some steel folded for the roof inner edge.

I gave them the small portion I cut out as a pattern and they folded it up to match - Great job!! Box of beers for that one.

Just have to find some time to actually stitch it into place. Of course to make it worse the damaged portions are in the corners so I'll have to massage these into curves to suit, but I have a plan...

Dr_PC
Hard Yaka

Postby Dr_PC » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:44 am

I still watching Heath. Agree with the eye comment I did a partial tear in my Retina a couple of weeks ago, what a pain in the arse that was. Keep up the good work

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:27 pm

Cheers Dan.

Got a little done tonight. New face mask worked great, better visibility than my glasses and never fogged up.

Would've got more done, but I spent about 40 mins looking for a carbide bit for my die grinder - got more and more pissed off as the minutes ticked by. Finally found it in the back of a drawer under some other bits. Not sure how it migrated to the back under everything as it was the last thing I remember putting in the drawer - next time I might just leave it on the bench and not put it away.

Anyone else spend 90% of their garage time searching for something they just put down? :?

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:54 pm

That is part of the fun and usually the bigger it is the better it is at hiding.

LOLYF
Hard Yaka

Postby LOLYF » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Heath wrote:Anyone else spend 90% of their garage time searching for something they just put down? :?

Hell i've lost things in my garage that have never been found!!
I think if i ever sell up and empty the garage it'll be better than a birthday!

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:40 pm

Its shed gremlins, don't know what they look like I've never caught them but I know they are there.... I have found that if you don't give them places to hide they are less annoying so lots of clear space and clean benches
On a side note I'm pretty certain they eat engineering chalk.... now if I could do with out the stuff, I reckon I could stave them out of my shed, problem is I haven't found anything cheap enough and effective enough to replace it

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:15 pm

De-Ranged wrote:Its shed gremlins, don't know what they look like I've never caught them but I know they are there.... I have found that if you don't give them places to hide they are less annoying so lots of clear space and clean benches
On a side note I'm pretty certain they eat engineering chalk.... now if I could do with out the stuff, I reckon I could stave them out of my shed, problem is I haven't found anything cheap enough and effective enough to replace it

Bugger now you mention it I did have some chalk that I cant find now. Maybe I have an infestation? I cant make open spaces and clean benches as the space is too small for my "needs" so maybe I'll set some traps or maybe a small dog/large cat will suffice to drive em out. I think they may have been shipped down with my gear from Auckland, so maybe I should lure them out with soy mocha decaff Jaffachinos and panini pieces. Maybe a coffee perculator belching out red ribbon roast might be offensive enough to them and act as a repelant.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:43 pm

Might be in the shit with her in doors.

Just bought some fawdy bits (newish bonnet - mine was damaged a while back and unfortunately it is where I cant fix easily for no money - and another windscreen surround without glass to chop in case I cock it up :? ). Going to take some extra cash in case they have some extra goodies I "need" too...

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:09 pm

Those gremlins are called 3 year olds, mines forever disappearing with it to draw on the concrete lol. Fortunately i don't really use it was in with a heap of bolts n odds n ends I was given

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:17 pm

Some more shed time on the roof section.

Some before and afters

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Striped the roof of all its crappy flakey paint today. Started with a sanding disk but gave up and got some paint striper. quick tidy up and some etch primer and its good for the next step - bogging little dents and filler primer to sort the lil scratches too. Not going to get carried away as this is abit of a turd of a roof so will keep an eye out for another one (maybe fibreglass when the funds are right).Then a coat of top coat white with a 'tojo flag' I think.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:17 pm

Got a little fiddly bit done tonight (actually two bits) but didnt take pics.

The roof inner rail where the windscreen bolts to had a couple of rusty bits so I cut them out and welded in new bits. Will tidy up a bit more and shape it better with a file later and knock some of the little dents out of the roof (maybe try to fix a couple of little creases too).

Got a care package from Aussie last week (new rubber for the sides and rear of the roof) and have another package coming with some other goodies too. The replacement rubbers are costing a fortune but I had to as the old ones were completely buggered.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”