fj45 rat rod (ish)

Heath
Hard Yaka

Re: fj45 rat rod (ish)

Postby Heath » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:27 pm

Not sure if I want to put a pile of phosphoric acid into my delicate alloy carbs. These quadrajets are a pain to set up right in good condition but if I mess up the casings and errode some of the air cavities or open up the fuel passages too much they become paperweights.

Might be okay for steel, but not for alloy.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:07 pm

Another few hours in the shed today. No pics as there was not much to see in the end but 4x 50mm holes in the chassis.

Spent my time moving the cab around to get it in the right spot to mark out for the body mounting holes on the chassis.

Then removed the cab and carefully marked out for the holes to be drilled and then drilled the hole saw guide holes (8mm) on both top and bottom of the chassis.

50mm hole saw lubed up and pushed into the underside of the chassis - first one may have buggered my electric drill (ozito crap brand anyway) as it got quite hot and slowed down a bit. Swapped over to my air drill, which was a bit slow but got there in the end. Took about 20 mins per hole, and all from under the chassis - bitch of a job and one I was putting off as I didnt want to do it. The garage elves didnt want do it either so I had to man up and just get it done.

Now I just have to put the body back on and line it up properly, double check everything and then mark the bolt holes in the body. Then lift the body off and drill out the bolt holes (and the top chassis/body mount 30mm holes) and then finish the trans tunnel (and tidy up the firewall of all non essential bolt holes etc).

Then the list gets just a little smaller (will still have some chassis work to do - two fish plates need doing and some general smoothing out of lumps and bumps before painting the chassis).

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:23 pm

No matter how much I clean up and reorganise things this garage never seems big enough.

These are the mounts for the body (std HQ mounts). They sandwich the steel in the top part of the chassis rail and isolate the cab from the chassis vibrations.

Holes done (this shot shows the new chassis rails and where the angled bit was removed from the front).

Body mount holes (two out of sight). Only 10mm here but I have the drill bits now to finish it off.

So a little work today.

With the body sitting up right again I see more work I need to do before painting the underside and dropping it into place for hopefully the last time (have a fish plate to do as well on the chassis that the body covers). Mainly welds to smooth out.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Another hour and I had the body mount holes done. Well after I bought some bigger drills - man are they expensive on their own (bought a set of drills (another one) with up to 13mm for less than the price of the three drills I needed).

Holes are 13mm on the outside and 30mm on the inside so I can fit a socket on the nut (or bolt depending on how I go), and will have a rubber cap to seal it under the carpet.

Bloody pedals will need a tidy up too - I'll add it to the list.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:58 pm

Trans tunnel mostly in, just some hammer and dolly work to get things a bit smoother. And I need drop the body flat so I can redo some welds which were overhead (due to body standing vertical) and they suck. Lots of small burns on my head and arms and crappy birdshit welds - not happy!!

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:29 pm

Trans tunnel 95% done. Just have a few bits to sort (rivet hole to fill I missed) and tidy up underside so I can slop some paint and seam sealer over the joins. Might take a few redundant clips off too and grind them smooth.

Then its time to seal this baby up for good with some underbody paint/ sound deadener

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:12 pm

Underneath of floor getting there. 3/5s primed, but still have a little wire wheel time to go (man do those little spears go everywhere - and hurt too).

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Did a little more on the underside. Still have to seal some seams and then blow some underbody sealant paint on (and in the hollow spaces ). Then I can roll it forwards and clean up the fire wall.

Used two wire wheels (makita brand) to do underside and wont be buying that brand again. They blew to pieces too easily and the wire bits were all through the garage (still finding some). Need to find the brand I had last time (lasted for 3 times as long).

Oh and my cheap die grinder died.

Super chump cheapie. Still need one so may just get another cheap one (or maybe spend a little more on a better one).

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Had a few minutes up my sleeve today between study sessions (pre trade electrical - going to be the oldest apprentice in chch - LOL) so I snuck out into the garage for a bit of relaxation therapy.

Put some seam sealer on the joins underneath the cab ready for a spray of under body sealant next week (or when ever I get to it)

Was a pain to put on but good to seal up some of the bits I wont see again when the body goes on.

I bought the bolts for the body mounts, but miss-measured the front ones and they are too long by 4mm so I'll have to go and swap them next week.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:51 pm

dunno if you can get bolts in 4mm increments maybe a quick tickle up on the grinder or a couple of 2mm washers for extra security :D

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:10 pm

More likely to be solid rod section rather than overall length??

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Yep the non threaded part was too long.

I could have used a couple more washers but if the certifier sees that sort of bodge job, he'll go looking for more and be a pain. Best to do it right the first time even if it is a pain.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:31 pm

could you not just tap and die the thread longer and cut of remaining bit? or just too fiddly..?

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Bolt is pretty hard and to be honest I drive past the bolt palce most days so I'll stop in one day.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Prepare yourself to become a local at your choice of bolt shop haha

Purchasing a general assortment of 20 or 50 or so of bolts that you think will be common on the build helps things move along. Then you will find you probably use
one type more than all others. I always find it annoying not having the right bolt holding up progress so just built up a collection then just topped it up once I run out of a certain type.

On the V8LR build it was 1/4 x 3/4 UNC with two heavy duty washers and a spring washer. Hundreds and hundreds of the bloody things!

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:32 pm

Yep, I have already bought a couple of hundred bits from them and this past weekend I finally asked if I get a discount for trade (we buy from them occassionaly) and bugger me the discount was 89% for the bolts. Of course that may change with what I buy.

I do need to make a list of bits and pieces I need and just buy by the kilo I think.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:10 pm

Finally got some man cave time and the weather wasnt too bad so I thought I would bung some underbody sealant on the cab.

Humidity was a little high but I figure if I didnt do it soon the weather will get too cold in the next few weeks.

All sprayed and looking good for a few minutes. I wasnt sure how thick to lay it on and with the respirator (gotta wear the PPE - LOL) I couldnt see to well but I had a good time.

Until I saw this.

Seems I was either too generous or maybe the wipe down with wax and grease remover wasnt good enough, or maybe humidity too high or maybe just shit happens.

Just been out for another look and the paint is still tacky so I guess it was too thick. There are few extra runs there so Yep it was me. I'll see how it goes and I have some more paint left so I'll sort it later... :oops:

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:29 pm

Finished off the under floor sound deadner/sealer.

Threw some chassis black onto the bits I wont get to later when the cab is on.
And then realised I had lots more to do before the cab goes on - bugger - got to remove the trans crossmember weld the captive nuts into place and paint it.

And found an awesome paint job I might pinch, but mat black with the flames within flames...
Image.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:19 pm

The missus went out for a few hours so I dived back into the cave (she doesnt like it when I weld, so I wait till she isnt here) and welded on the nuts and removed the trans crossmember.

Quick wire brush and some primer on the brackets and then a sand and wipe down with some cleaner before a lick of primer for the x member too. 20mins later with a heat gun and both areas get a lick of chassis black.

Its a bit shiney for me (prefer matt black) but the price was right so shiney it is...

wont see it later anyway as it will be covered. Any bits you can see I'll hit with some matt so dull em off.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:05 pm

why for she don't like you welding , it's my trade , I weld over a white tile garage floor fire blanket don't catch it all , drive way has a film of rust over it, so your on the winning side :D
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:34 pm

She's an accountant. She doesnt like it when the lights flicker.

I think she doesnt like me...

LOL

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:42 pm

Heath wrote:She's an accountant. She doesnt like it when the lights flicker.

I think she doesnt like me...

LOL

Haha had a similar situation....... soooo I rewired the workshop so its the priority power and the house is a sub main :wink:

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Oh yeah. Loving the build bro.....awesome!!

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:57 pm

15 amp single phase plug on garage wall no problems with power in my house
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:02 pm

Go for those plastic honey comb type grinding disks rather than wire wheel. Much better for cleaning up metal and you don't get wires everywhere

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:10 pm

Petemcc wrote:Go for those plastic honey comb type grinding disks rather than wire wheel. Much better for cleaning up metal and you don't get wires everywhere

I use those but get through them pretty quick...
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:48 pm

Crossmember back in and body now bolted on.
Hopefully it will stay there for a while and I can get onto the rest of the bits (windscreenand front guards etc) and I can have some space in my garage back.

kiwibronco
Driver/Navigator

Postby kiwibronco » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:56 am

Mate just had a quick skim. This is kinda weird ...but cool. Great to see the work your doing. Its coming together great. Will keep watching to see your progress. I've just gone the opposite way wanting a hobby/hot rod/work vehicle so ended up putting a 4 inch lift on an 82 bronco with a fairly worked 460 and C6. Cars are fun to play with. Like the cruiser buddy. Be cool to see how it finishes up.

89lux
Hard Yaka

Postby 89lux » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:17 pm

looking good bud :D

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:52 pm

Had a quick measure up of the space around the engine and guards to get a rough idea of the exhaust header layout. Had a chat with a few dudes who make them and the general consensus was between a grand and 1500 dollars or more if I get silly about the design or materials.

So I decided Id use my money a little more wisely and now I wont be having gasser styled front pipes (bugger - maybe later on if lotto plays the game).

So...

Drivers side is going to be tight but doable.
Steering will be tight but looks okay. Hope I dont have to get the starter out because these isnt any room unless you remove the manifold. Might wrap the pipes where thery get close to the starter or find a thermal blanket for it (or source a smaller starter).

Pass side is sweet as.

Only issue will be making the exhaust drop down before the crossmember as it lines up nicely in the way - LOL.

Bought a pile of stainless bolts to put it all together but the heads are too big. Didnt realise the manifolds actually came with some bolts to fit so I will see if I can get a credit on the bolts or see if they have a simillar stainless version of the supplied ones.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”