fj45 rat rod (ish)

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Re: fj45 rat rod (ish)

Postby coxsy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:57 pm

header bolt undo over time with heat and contraction , thread tape stops the bolt undoing , a hint I found in an American hotrod magazine
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:41 pm

coxsy wrote:header bolt undo over time with heat and contraction , thread tape stops the bolt undoing , a hint I found in an American hotrod magazine

Nice. just teflon tape I guess. Was thinking thread lock but with the heat I figure it would be a waste of time.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:58 pm

it does work , used on both of my V8,s the mack had two sets of heads in its 13 year life.
are those headers have the pipes welded to the flanges on the inside of the flange , last set weld around outside of the tubes ground them flat die ground the pipes to full size ,

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:14 pm

when you come to bolting the headers up it'll become clear why you use small head 3/8 bolts or cap screws :D if you want a tidy looking job with the pipes underneath its worth spending 500 to 800 bucks to get someone to do it that lives and breaths exhausts and has a hoist and all the equipment and shit to make nice looking professional job of it :D how come the collector flange is pointing at the cross member are they chev/holden headers out of the box did you remount the cross member or something? how are you putting the steering together to couple the shafts are you using the fj40 column mated to the holden steering box, how are you going to join the shafts or is it still a bit of R&D work in progress still, is it still Armstrong or power steer? sorry for so many questions its been a quiet day today :D

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:18 pm

James 40 has a a shaft one end to match the 40 other end to match the 60 uni's both ends

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:03 pm

derk wrote:when you come to bolting the headers up it'll become clear why you use small head 3/8 bolts or cap screws :D if you want a tidy looking job with the pipes underneath its worth spending 500 to 800 bucks to get someone to do it that lives and breaths exhausts and has a hoist and all the equipment and shit to make nice looking professional job of it :D how come the collector flange is pointing at the cross member are they chev/holden headers out of the box did you remount the cross member or something? how are you putting the steering together to couple the shafts are you using the fj40 column mated to the holden steering box, how are you going to join the shafts or is it still a bit of R&D work in progress still, is it still Armstrong or power steer? sorry for so many questions its been a quiet day today :D

Collector flange is probably my fault (these are camaro headers so not quite right from the start) as I lifted the engine 25mm when I moved it back 200mm. In the original position they probably would have justa bout cleared. I'll get a proper job done of the underneath when the time comes (professionals are there for a areason and I dont see the point in doing something twice).

Steering is armstrong at this stage. I have a few bits and pieces to sort with the steering. I hope to make up an intermediate shaft to go from the base of the tojo column to the hq box. I have a 70 series steering column and might pinch the UJ's from that for the build (have to check it meets with the certifiers requirements (they are toyota factory parts so should be okay). I'll shorten the column a bit when I get the seats in and I can get a feel for the right height and then I'll get the end splined to suit the UJ's I use.

No worries about questions as it keeps me honest and thinking.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:05 pm

coxsy wrote:it does work , used on both of my V8,s the mack had two sets of heads in its 13 year life.
are those headers have the pipes welded to the flanges on the inside of the flange , last set weld around outside of the tubes ground them flat die ground the pipes to full size ,

Pipes are welded on the flat side of the flange and have a slight rim which I guess will crush into the gasket making it easier to seal (I'm guessing here :D )

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:16 pm

Looks pretty easy to cut the flange off and angle down to avoid the cross member using an S shape then weld the flange back on?

Were you going to go stainless for the exhaust? I used steel and high temp paint on the landy exhaust but found it doesn't last. Getting stainless steel from a scrap dealer can end up quite cost effective. All you need is 1 kg of stainless wire in the mig and your away. You can normally get plenty of bends from the scrappy then just chop them up as you need.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun May 03, 2015 7:01 pm

Scored a set of factory seats to replace the ones I threw away (I'll never do it again - I promise) when I thought I would use some newer buckets - bad idea now as I like the look of the old school seats.

Thank you to those involved (you know who you are). Hope you had a few beers on me.

They are sitting in my garage now (finally got them from the depot - been a busy week - LOL).

Now I just have to get rid of the datsun 120Y seats I have. They will look good in a retro hot rod so I'll move them off to a good home, not the dump...

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun May 03, 2015 7:52 pm

we should of grabbed the FJ chassis off you too

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon May 04, 2015 8:59 pm

LOL if I had a time machine the things I would change...

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun May 17, 2015 5:59 pm

After tinkering for a while tonight I came to the conclusion that anyone wanting to work on an old vehicle the next photo contains some of the most valuable tools.

Seats fitted to cab so I can figure out steering wheel height and position, but I may have to wait until I get the drivers seat rebuilt.

One step closer...

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:13 pm

Just been asked how things were going with my toy and figured I'd blow the cobwebs off the thread and do an update of sorts.

Not much happening since last post, but slowly getting some overtime funds sorted so I can move forwards.

With the US ?NZ dollar starting to dip a little I figured Id better do all the buying I could while it was still cheap enough. So....

Price was too good and I did it in a couple of batches to stay under the $400 gst cap. Although at the prices I paid even with GST it wouldnt have mattered and I still wouldve bought off shore (sorry NZ suppliers but I only have so much $$$ and have to spend it wisely). Ive got to say the USA seems easier to deal with and shipping is cheaper if you use the NZ post "you shop" site. It stops those bargains blowing out because of US postage (even got some xmas presents coming for my nephews/nieces) and consolidating small items into one package is a good feature (saves $$$ too).

Also got a set of 2.5inch cutouts on their way for some added wank factor and a hand brake cover (and some chrome). Wish I could afford the electric cutouts but I can always get the motors later.

Otherwise I am in the garage occassionally measuring things up and trying to sort ideas in my head (imagineering) so I can discount the bad and progress the good. Still toying with a front guard lift which will mean the bonnet clips will not be useable (will sell them I guess if I cant use them) and have been toying with using some TJ jeep clips instead (got to add another vehicle marque in there again) as they will fit (maybe - might just get em and see, can sell em if they dont work).

Unfortunately the use of the new hand brake lever means I have to change the original mount (have to anyway as the trans tunnel has a slope on it now and it would hit) and also figure out the auto shift lever mounts (got to source that yet - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N8IKPG/ref ... WRAIFKY4KF looks the part) Might just make up a new centre console cover to hide the trans shift lever mount and to take some cup holders (old 350 chevy pistons drilled out - for a bit of rednek flavour). Of course all this means the cab has to come off and I cant be assed doing that yet, but I'll lift the cab up and slide it rearwards and then I can work on the firewall and trans tunnel.

Oh and the windscreen still needs to be shortened too - which might be a nice simple job for a weekend or two - Hmm might have to get that moving soon.

Of course while i have been doing this (or not doing this) I have been busy at CPIT doing my pre trade electrical course at night school so I can move forwards with becoming a sparky (Elec Fitter) so my spare time is kind off full at the moment - LOL

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:14 pm

Okay been busy "collecting stuff" and sorting ideas.

I had intended to do a lift on the front guards (only and inch) but when I weigh up the pros and cons I am almost 70% sure I wont do it (just yet - maybe after cert or if the tyres foul but not till I see a real benefit). As simple as it seemed when typed out on a keyboard the actual work involved is more than I expect it is worth (unless I have to do it) as the lifting of the guard means cutting and reshaping the side pieces and the front valance. It also gets a bit tight with regards to the room around the headlights if I get too silly.

I got the last of the gear I need for spraying, some brake/fuel line tools and some bright chrome bonnet clips (Jeep ones - LOL) because I couldnt make my mind up to use the new chrome tojo ones I already had (will sell the unwanted pair).

Also grabbed some cut outs (no motors here just plates for now - will make cert a bit easier if they are bolt on ones - Although I may not add them until after it is certed)

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:20 pm

Just had another wander through the garage after surfing through some pics I had saved of guard lifts and MAYBE... it can be done without messing with the headlight/grill section too much - will need a little remodeling but its do able...

And it will mean I can use some drop spindles to get the chassis lower.

Maybe I am 50/50 now. LOL I used to be indecisive.... but now I'm not so sure...

Off to remeasure and put some lines on some steel to see how many cuts and welds it will take...

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:16 pm

Well its been a while what with polytech (been studying pretty hard out) and trying to get another job (apprenticeship - Electrical Fitter) the old build has been relegated to the bottom of the "to do list".

But now I only have a few days of night school left, I have my apprenticeship (must be the oldest apprentice in NZ - LOL) and the days are warmer in the shed its time to get moving forward again (while the budget holds).

Finally fitted the front grill section after removing a few rusty bits... and a few more rusty bits and then finally just hacked the whole bottom half off. Ill rebuild it to suit later on so it covers the radiator and steering box (protrudes through the side - but an easy ish fix). For now it gives me something to help keep the front squared up so I can put the guards on.

SO I also finally finished cutting the front drivers guard and its roughly in place now (some fiddling to do but its 90% there) Will have a think about inner guards later to tidy up that area when I widen the guards (60-70mm) to fit the front tyres.

Oh and f##k you toyota!!! Put some damn primer and paint on the panels will ya!! No wonder these things are falling apart - almost every panel join has rust and its because the paint coverage is pretty crap - hell under the dash doesnt look like it has seen paint ever. LOL

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:53 am

Good to see some more progress :)
I have to agree with you about toyota ability to paint stuff, my 45 had zero paint in between the roof and screen joints, not even primer. No wonder they go rusty so well!

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:42 pm

So I got the passenger side guard on (had a few broken bolt to drill out and retap the captive nuts - wouldnt be as much fun if it was easy...LOL). I threw the bonnet on to check clearances etc and it looks like I will have to do a little packing out to get the gaps all right and everything to line up.

So while I had the bonnet in place I figured Id throw the bonnet latches on (just taped) to see how they looked. Not happy with the jeep ones - too big so Ill go with the std ones and sell the jeep ones (who wants some jeep latches? Ill check the model later and bung a price up later).

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:25 pm

I managed to squeeze some "Me time" out of the holiday today in the garage.

So I figured I'd rip into the windscreen modification as then I can chuck the roof and doors on, so I can cut and adjust the door glass.

I removed the old windscreen glass and rubber intact (rubber is in good nick so might keep it for a spare although I have a new one so we'll see), The windscreen is free to a good home (you come and get it if you want it) as I am going to have to get one made to fit as the screen height will be 3 inches shorter. I also removed all my spare corner glass and a replacement rear window (dont ask!!!!) so the rusty old rear window frame is on the trailer ready for a trip to the metal bin at the dump.

With the screen surround now empty I gave it a clean and proper looking over....bloody toyota and their painting methods!! The base looks to be salvageable but a few big bits of rust will need seeing to. Also have a few captive nuts missing in the top of the screen (and a small bracket that goes at the top of the door/screen if anyone has one free) so I'll use my spare surround to do the top part of the screen (needs a quick tidy up but its in good nick - apart from the bottom front which is buggered) and also to patch out the rusty bits of the yellow one. As luck would have it the bits I need are in great condition on the spare so I lucked in there and dont have to piss around doing fabrication of the little curves etc.

Also sorted the parts bins into a tidy semblance of order (already lost a few bits so have to be more organised).

Anyway. Pics

The glass cleaned up nicely so if anyone in Chch wants a spare let me know.
The little bracket I need is visible at the top right of the first pic (but I need the left side one) if anyone has a spare.
I've decided to get the surrounds bead blasted so I can see what I am dealing with before I start cutting and welding in earnest. So a bit of a delay but better to know what I am dealing with than mucking around and then blasting it anyway.

So I took the door hinges off (well the bottom ones - top ones are a bitch so I punched the pins out instead and halved them) and bonnet hinges off to rebush them all and tidy them up - got some chrome paint to try out for a bit of bling.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:35 pm

Good to see the update, not much seems to be going on here at the moment.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:09 pm

Yeah. Seems like all the tech and stuff went to Facebook where it is lost forever after just a few days.

I know this forum is slowly losing its gloss with the young and hip,n,trendy, but not for me and as a repository of good shit (tech and good buggers) it is invaluable - ever tried to do a search for anything posted on face book?

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:04 pm

I'm still following this thread....
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:12 pm

There's no discussion on fb either. Folk want an answer now and seem to accept the first reply as truth.
Any way, I want to see a project through all its ups and downs and how things have been overcome so I'll keep watching and posting :)
I'm still grumpy about toyotas inability to paint too!

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:51 pm

reading both and enjoying them thanks chaps.....plus the others ones popping up on here 8) .......should update my pos one :oops:
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:10 pm

diogenese wrote:There's no discussion on fb either. Folk want an answer now and seem to accept the first reply as truth.
Any way, I want to see a project through all its ups and downs and how things have been overcome so I'll keep watching and posting :)
I'm still grumpy about toyotas inability to paint too!

Im taking every opportunity to shoot rust killer/inhibiter/primer or whatever into every cavity I can find on my build, so I dont have to worry about it ever again. It makes for a longer build but the trade off is repairs later down the line.

I watch the builds in the US on TV and wonder at how they can buy a car and sell it 7 days later for a profit (still dirt cheap compared to here) and say they have restored it. Even boyd coddinton didnt do things that shodily and some of his work was......

No wonder restored cars in NZ fetch a premium - we generally do body off restos so everything is done.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:51 pm

SO I decided I'd start the windscreen chop before I got it blasted (place isnt open till next week and I'm impatient)

Worked out heights to cut on a door I had (could easily measure the screen slope distance -original chop height is 75mm but slope measurement is 77mm)

So I marked it all out and started cutting. I decided to put an overlap of 50mm to add some strength to the join. Good thing I did because the front strengthening rib and the rear (inside) rib aren't parallel so I now need to do a little more thinking - LOL

It will be easy enough to sort with a few slices and a bit of "massaging".

Any way - pics.

Oh yeah and lots of surface rust in the screen too - so I pumped some rush inhibiter converter into it. Not the best but better than nothing. Ill flood it a bit more later.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:09 pm

So I had some dinner and dived back into the screen hack.

I welded up the inside portion as that was nice and simple and then flipped it over to see how far out it was.

Not too bad (a large gap or two to bridge also) but I did some cutting and bashing with a hammer and after a bit of welding and grinding (Im more of a grinder than welder in this case...) they came out okay.

Not super pretty but a lick of bog and they will be fine.

silveradoman
Bush Crasher

Postby silveradoman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:16 pm

looking good man, cool project.
are you keeping the front quarter windows ( cut seals down and new glass) or one peace door glass?

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:27 pm

silveradoman wrote:looking good man, cool project.
are you keeping the front quarter windows ( cut seals down and new glass) or one peace door glass?

Not sure yet.

If I get rid of the quarters then I need new glass and maybe the winders wont handle it (so need new winders). I'm leaning towards just replacing the quarter glass with smaller ones when the time comes. I'll get them when I get a new windscreen I guess.

Shit, just realised I could now put the cab together without the doors for the first time in about 2 years (when I ripped it down...)

Nh, too much else to do...

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:52 pm

So I finished my weekend of messing about with the simple job of removing the windscreen hinges and removing the hinge pins so I could replace the bushes.

Hmmmm. Lots of heat and 1 hour of bashing to get one out (didnt want to overheat it or bend it so maybe took longer than it needed to) and 35 mins for the other one.

Now I need a set of hinge bushes for the screen hinges. I bought a set for the front but didnt realise it only catered for the doors and bonnet hinges - bugger!

Does anyone have any or any idea where I can get 4 of them? Are they a toyota parts still?

Heath

Return to “Projects / Mod's”