fj45 rat rod (ish)

Heath
Hard Yaka

fj45 rat rod (ish)

Postby Heath » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:25 pm

Dirty dogs rat rod thread (and some others) got me thinking about my rapidly approaching midlife crisis and the need to plan for its arrival. So I started looking for a project. I was thinking of an old yank tank but parts etc was going to be apain so I thought why not something different like a jap truck available in NZ and make it into a rod.

Okay so the projest is just an idea at the moment and I want to flesh out some ideas before I proceed.

The idea is a fj40 cab/tray chopped to lower the roof with a bent 8 (maybe diesel for laughs) and an auto driving some large rubber at the rear, with a simple axle up front (no longer 4wd). All lowered of course.

Now i realise this is going to be shunned by the american/english vehicles only types, but I like the idea of being slightly different (parts will be easier to get too as a bonus) and being slightly contravertial is a bonus.

If its build up from bits of different vehicles how hard is it to cert?
Am I mental and should i seek professional help or is this doable?
end result is something like this:

http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=h ... EwAg&dur=0

I found some pics of an old fj40 rat rod at a SEMA show (link above) and now the idea has really taken root (even the missus said it looked cool) so anyone got a buggered 40 series cab chassis laying around, no engine or trans needed (going bent 8 and auto)?
Last edited by Heath on Wed May 07, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Re: fj40 rat rod

Postby Heath » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Of course maybe a really contavertial one would be a lil zuk (lj50) rat rod running a 12a rotory. Now that would be even more of an extended finger to the establishment... :mrgreen:

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:43 pm

Heath wrote:end result is something like this:

http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=h ... EwAg&dur=0

I found some pics of an old fj40 rat rod at a SEMA show (link above) and now the idea has really taken root (even the missus said it looked cool) so anyone got a buggered 40 series cab chassis laying around, no engine or trans needed (going bent 8 and auto)?

to me that isnt really a rat rod its way to shinyyyy not enough rust

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Yeah but the idea is cool and if I decided to "up grade" then bung on some bling and paint...

This one is cool too.

http://www.killbillet.com/attachment.ph ... 1330911541

MNC
Hard Yaka

Postby MNC » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:37 pm

Some like them:

And then there is the haters:

Meh... back to the first one:

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Like the top one but not the tray.

I figure a rolling lux 2wd chassis (c/w steering, cab mounted brake bits and fuel tank) with a cab mounted and the roof dropped a few inches, fenders etc mounted up, with an old school chevy tray (graft the toyota raised metal work from tailgate on the chev tailgate), or perhaps just a normal (smaller) tray so I can actually use it for carting stuff. Small block and auto trans running to the rear only (no 4wd here).

Unless of course I would be better just dropping the std cruiser chassis down and modifying the front end (not often someone suggests doing an IFS front on SASed chassis).

Briefly discussed my idea with a guy at work and he suggested not mentioning its a jappa or a rat rod style when I am at meets etc as the local dudes arent too keen on either.

Of course if the wife keeps on suggesting that I have to sell stuff before starting this project I may have to get thinking.

I might miss her though...

Tarmac
Hard Yaka

Postby Tarmac » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:17 pm

"Of course if the wife keeps on suggesting that I have to sell stuff before starting this project I may have to get thinking.

I might miss her though..." you talkin bout the wife? :lol:

Utes are v cool but I liked the train of thought with the middle photo/ not that one itself, but possibly a long to mwb with a chopped roof n tubs. I wld assume you find somthin complete and like you say IFS it, plus 5spd rwd.. lockrite... 1uz.... 8throttle bodies :D then your mates will know its not made in USA when it sings

Nissan also make a good v8, 4.5 I think
'Drift Spec'... The new "Half Assed"

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:44 pm

the vh41 and vh45's look good, plus they will fit to a z32 fairlady flywheel, so arnt hard to match up to a gearbox.

i dont know how true this is but ive been told the 300zx automatics are the same as the v6 terrano autos, so youve even got an option for 4wd.

if the front driveshaft is on the wrong side, just use a safari transfer case as they bolt on (well, essential, just need to trim shaft, i suggest use a space aswell of 20mm and 20mm off the shaft)

love how interchangeable the nissan stuff is, although it would be a shame to have it badged as a toyota when it has nissan gear....

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Dirtydog wrote:the vh41 and vh45's look good, plus they will fit to a z32 fairlady flywheel, so arnt hard to match up to a gearbox.

i dont know how true this is but ive been told the 300zx automatics are the same as the v6 terrano autos, so youve even got an option for 4wd.

if the front driveshaft is on the wrong side, just use a safari transfer case as they bolt on (well, essential, just need to trim shaft, i suggest use a space aswell of 20mm and 20mm off the shaft)

love how interchangeable the nissan stuff is, although it would be a shame to have it badged as a toyota when it has nissan gear....

What a half breed frankenstein monster........Hmmmm.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:00 am

Haveyou seen the one tim allan? The fella off that show home improvement has

Its a bloody nice fj with v8 lowered etc

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:43 am

Heath wrote:
Dirtydog wrote:the vh41 and vh45's look good, plus they will fit to a z32 fairlady flywheel, so arnt hard to match up to a gearbox.

What a half breed frankenstein monster........Hmmmm.

Thats nissan for ya mate :lol: :lol:

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Still searching the web and found a link to this tow truck rat rod.

Rough but still a cool concept...

I guess thats the essence of a rat rod.

http://ratrodtrends.blogspot.co.nz/2012 ... ecker.html

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:47 pm

It seems that 2wd lux chassis are quite expensive (and so are the donor vehicles) so I wonder if I could use a hiace van for the donor (chassis,steering gear and brakes etc)?

Is the running gear the same?

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:48 pm

y not get a suzuki chassis, i had a look at one today, and they seem like a great candidate, plus its not hard to put hilux axles under there if ya need it.

nstacey
Hard Yaka

Postby nstacey » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Heath wrote:It seems that 2wd lux chassis are quite expensive (and so are the donor vehicles) so I wonder if I could use a hiace van for the donor (chassis,steering gear and brakes etc)?

Is the running gear the same?

I don't think Hiaces run a separate chassis
85 Hilux single cab
02 Grand Vitara

Del Fuego
Hard Yaka

Postby Del Fuego » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:03 pm

try this fella? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 696155.htm

This could also do the trick: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 511298.htm

Even this... comes with an engine... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 013793.htm

or tell pick a part you will take a chassis off their hands for a few hundy after they are done? plenty of utes through there... Navara or Rodeo 2wd would likely work too...

anyway enough from me... hurry up and build this :D

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 pm

Got my eye on a possible 45, just got to sort the price and if its still for sale...

Wifey is having second thoughts and is worried I am going to fill the yard up with wrecks.

Pickapart might be a go. Will drop in to see what they have and leave a wish list with them.

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi Heath. Tried pm'in classiccruiserspares? He's local to you and might be a goer for ya.
ImageImage

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:51 pm

Last edited by Taz on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

smurf182
Hard Yaka

Postby smurf182 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:51 am

Tarmac wrote:1uz.... 8throttle bodies :D then your mates will know its not made in USA when it sings

That would be mean

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8sT2BQ4uc[/youtube]

Shame the ITB setup costs more than the rest of the motor.

I say go with a Japanese V8 for a point of difference. There are more than enough 40s with SBCs in the world (and that coming from someone that owns one).

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:14 pm

Yeah but because SBC's are so prominent parts are easy to source. A tojo bent8 would be good though for that point of difference.

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Maybe a simple turboed 6 would suffice. :?

Nah.
:wink:

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:07 pm

Something a little different, but think of this; slicks on and 1/4 mile drags; put the 35's on it, jack the shocks up and you have a rock crawler? No?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh3LhIT02ho
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:30 pm

kiwipete wrote:Something a little different, but think of this; slicks on and 1/4 mile drags; put the 35's on it, jack the shocks up and you have a rock crawler? No?

I like that wagon. Not quite my cup of tea but cool nonetheless.

I like the idea of airbags to alter height from low to go. Still want a road car not 4by but I havent completely decided against something with a transfer case.

MNC
Hard Yaka

Postby MNC » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:07 pm

kiwipete wrote:Something a little different, but think of this; slicks on and 1/4 mile drags; put the 35's on it, jack the shocks up and you have a rock crawler? No?

Ohhhh... damn, me likely.

Big Rubber, Big cubes, Big flex, and a sexy old body - she's got it all :mrgreen:

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 pm

i heard somewhere that hot rodders like to use 2wd L200 chassis as a basis for a rod mainly because they have the sterring box on the outside of the chassis rail allows more room for engine :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:48 pm

MNC wrote:

Ohhhh... damn, me likely.

Big Rubber, Big cubes, Big flex, and a sexy old body - she's got it all :mrgreen:

Grunt n curves got me too :mrgreen:
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Anyone got a chevy small block for sale? Nothing flash but in reasonable condition would be great, although a simple rebuild wouldnt scare me as long as the price is right. :wink:

Heath

Oh yeah and a transmission too would be nice, but not too keen on fiddling with this - autos scare me... :?

And a rolling 2wd ute chassis (mitzy or tojo or what have you - even a failed project I can resurect/restart would be good) with rego on hold even better,

And of course a cab, guards, bonnet and front of a fj/bj45 (basically all of a 45 series. The tray can come later unless some one has an old chev or ford wellside that I can "butcher" (add tojo mane on tailgate).
Last edited by Heath on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Heath wrote:Anyone got a chevy small block for sale? Nothing flash but in reasonable condition would be great, although a simple rebuild wouldnt scare me as long as the price is right. :wink:

this joker in Tauranga's been bringing in a lot of 350's complete with all accessories and selling them off at $1351 each, some old 2 piece main seal some later one piece seal and some TBI, not alot of 350s in his listings at the moment but theres usually a pile of them

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listin ... ber=869484

Tarmac
Hard Yaka

Postby Tarmac » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:51 pm

"Shame the ITB setup costs more than the rest of the motor."

Cant be that bad, 2 sets of silvertop quads 300, 2.somethin meters of 60x12 flat ally ?, some ally tube, possibly a home made press former to shape to ports, many hours of shaggin round :), then tying to make it all wk - priceless
'Drift Spec'... The new "Half Assed"

Return to “Projects / Mod's”