first surf build.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Re: first surf build.

Postby skidmark » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:06 pm

Basically sorted my to do list,have speedo to recalibrate but will do that on the way back to work..
Also need Window to replace yet ,but gunna organize that for when it's at work before it goes back to certifier..
He wanted a Xtra x-member on the original ifs diff mounts, had to tuck it up flush so still have pinion clearance on full bump.

Have replaced rh window with alloy sheet for fuel filler. Thoose were the major issues anyway
Attachments
20160228_200438.jpg
20160228_200354.jpg
20160228_200403.jpg
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:34 am

Dropped truck off for a recheck this morning and Neil mentioned there's the new draft rules coming through to do with lifts and body lifts etc. Also has some extra forms for the next few 4wds to go back to lvvta for info on 4wds for them..
So I think I managed to get through in the nick of time.but future certs could get more complicated and expensive

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:46 am

We are passed! Now just wait a couple weeks for cert plate to arrive. Stoaked!

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:53 am

skidmark wrote:We are passed! Now just wait a couple weeks for cert plate to arrive. Stoaked!

Bloody awesome.. well done too :) Just a note with the superflex arms.. have they been noted in the cert report ? as this should show up in the lvvta database.. as I did ask about them about a year ago.. and they had nothing listed.. so this is a great moment for those who are looking at getting them.. Now all that's left is thrash it.. :lol: :lol: Need videos now.. :wink: :mrgreen:

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:59 am

Double post
Last edited by skidmark on Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:00 am

Big wrote:
skidmark wrote:We are passed! Now just wait a couple weeks for cert plate to arrive. Stoaked!

Bloody awesome.. well done too :) Just a note with the superflex arms.. have they been noted in the cert report ? as this should show up in the lvvta database.. as I did ask about them about a year ago.. and they had nothing listed.. so this is a great moment for those who are looking at getting them.. Now all that's left is thrash it.. :lol: :lol: Need videos now.. :wink: :mrgreen:

I haven't seen the report or anything yet, he said it'll take him a couple days to sit down and get everything organized..bit more involved than just ticking boxes. But yes I'd imagine that they will be written down, he made a note of everything..videos to come soon...have some overboosting issues to tune out

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:32 am

That's awesome!
Hopefully not far behind

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:35 am

Lchundy wrote:That's awesome!
Hopefully not far behind

Cheers certainly a relief!Neil was telling me we made it through just before he had to start implementing some new paperwork to send back

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:40 am

skidmark wrote:
Lchundy wrote:That's awesome!
Hopefully not far behind

Cheers certainly a relief!Neil was telling me we made it through just before he had to start implementing some new paperwork to send back

Im not far behind either but as I keep changing things that takes longer to get ready for cert so i'll be at the mercy of the lvvta gods when the time arrives..lol but hopefully the gov wheels turn ultra slow and it'll be ok.. :lol: but well done.. another awesome build on the road..

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:45 am

Cheers certainly a relief!Neil was telling me we made it through just before he had to start implementing some new paperwork to send back[/quote]
Im not far behind either but as I keep changing things that takes longer to get ready for cert so i'll be at the mercy of the lvvta gods when the time arrives..lol but hopefully the gov wheels turn ultra slow and it'll be ok.. :lol: but well done.. another awesome build on the road..[/quote]
Well they normally like turning slow..I understood it as a draft of the new rules are coming through, and he has to fill out the draft forms for feedback for lvvta as he does quite a few 4wds.not sure if the rules are implemented yet or not..mentioned there would be more time so more costs involved . setups similar to doing bumpsteer tests etc.

Was a conference in Wellington specific too it from what he said

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:17 am

Congratulations! That thing is going to be a barrel of fun!

If you are ever over Rotorua way shoot me a PM & I'll show you around my local test track - Porter rd.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:27 am

Clint wrote:Congratulations! That thing is going to be a barrel of fun!

If you are ever over Rotorua way shoot me a PM & I'll show you around my local test track - Porter rd.

Cheers
Clint

Sounds like a plan to me...rotorua isn't far from hamilton! Will try get a couple shakedown runs but closer to town then might take you up on that

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:33 pm

Cert plate fitted check
Wof check
Reg check

We are legal.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:17 am

Big wrote:

As far as I can see it looks to be written down as nissan style h/d radius.. his writing is like mine, and a bit hard to make out at times

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:37 am

Went for a drive out to parents lastnight to test my lights/just go for a drive..a couple small issues, beadlocks definitely need a balance/balance beads something anyway.

Found a small oil weep from one of the turbo oil feeds..will have a looksie this weekend..

Also need to sort the boost issues out.. sometimes over boosts sometimes fuel cuts etc. Will try investigate this weekend..
Snapchat-8827861190050034216.jpg

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:16 pm

Knock off parts strike again.. didn't want to cough up for genuine wastegates at time of build (should have ) and found both wastegates have slow leak from diaphragm into the exhaust valve,but one seized in the shut position..appears to have a steel bush the plunger moves in. Looking In to genuine replacements now
20160313_152218.jpg

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Postby fh2014 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:26 pm

skidmark wrote:Knock off parts strike again.. didn't want to cough up for genuine wastegates at time of build (should have ) and found both wastegates have slow leak from diaphragm into the exhaust valve,but one seized in the shut position..appears to have a steel bush the plunger moves in. Looking In to genuine replacements now
20160313_152218.jpg

crazy how much you find you get what you pay for eh? I had 50 dollar bonnet pins snap on me. ended up going the genuine aerocatch pins, the comparison puts the genuine things second to none.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:36 pm

fh2014 wrote:
skidmark wrote:Knock off parts strike again.. didn't want to cough up for genuine wastegates at time of build (should have ) and found both wastegates have slow leak from diaphragm into the exhaust valve,but one seized in the shut position..appears to have a steel bush the plunger moves in. Looking In to genuine replacements now
20160313_152218.jpg

crazy how much you find you get what you pay for eh? I had 50 dollar bonnet pins snap on me. ended up going the genuine aerocatch pins, the comparison puts the genuine things second to none.

Exactly I thought I could get away with wastegates,brought genuine fuel pump, pressure reg and bov etc but needed 2 wastegates... Ohwell lesson learned

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Have fitted a pair of turbosmart wastegates,brought the low boost setting back in spec, and stopped the chufing I thought was bov opening turns out that wss compressor surge of one turbo....

High boost occasionally hits the boost cut mark, coming back into boost it spikes faster than the tune reacts...will have a tutu there.

Started making rear frame to mount high lift and my spare tyre that doesn't exist yet..kinda using it to add a small amount of cross brace into the rear cage aswell. Not finished yet..
Attachments
20160320_160242.jpg
20160320_171356.jpg

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:21 pm

Was hopefully going to a mates parents run off for a play,but that fell through as it was sold.... drove out to parents for a play in a couple maize paddocks and to adjust high boost, popped the last cheap pvc joiners that came with my intercooler plumbing about 2 mins after arriving.
Have fitted another one and went road tuning for a bit..sorry neibours

Got radio installed aswell
Attachments
20160328_145914.jpg
20160328_143053.jpg
Cheap shit...
20160327_164949.jpg
Radio fitted
20160327_164900.jpg
Rear frame painted up

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:27 pm

I think people will agree with me that it is probably time for some video of this thing in action!

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:42 pm

Petemcc wrote:I think people will agree with me that it is probably time for some video of this thing in action!

I'll second that :wink:

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:41 am

Big wrote:
Petemcc wrote:I think people will agree with me that it is probably time for some video of this thing in action!

I'll second that :wink:

Thirded..planning was to this weekend but that fell through.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Went for a small play at parents maize,couple issues I found,when oil temp gets to 100 oil pressure light comes on at idle...not sure if this is cause I have two turbos suction get all my oil pressure or not.or if I just need thicker oil.15w40 atm.

Also rear guard rub so have repositioned guards with a hammer,only had worn 32s on but there on 15x10 so slightly wider than my beadlovks.. no videos sorry bit hard by myself.

Hopefully might try a Woodhill mission next weekend
Also hopefully pics work have new phone and need to resize photos before uploading
Attachments
rps20160403_144321.jpg
rps20160403_144208.jpg
rps20160403_144109.jpg

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:56 pm

Also the first car I've owned that'll light the rears up at 60 KS. Coming out to power in 2nd..albeit one wheel on wet road but still...

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:02 pm

nice work man.....................must be happy with that..
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:28 pm

always a few little niggles aye :(, but nearly there. :)
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:47 pm

I had the same problem with my 1uz, can remember what the grade was, but was a lighter engine oil than i normally run, oil pressure went to shit.
Remember nursing it to the washdown area at the last rotorua winch comp, water temp was 110 deg, oil pressure gauge was not even registering.
Went back to a thicker grade 20w-50 i think? And never had a problem since.

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:54 pm

I'd probably run a 10w50 or even a 10w60.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:56 pm

Madaz wrote:I had the same problem with my 1uz, can remember what the grade was, but was a lighter engine oil than i normally run, oil pressure went to shit.
Remember nursing it to the washdown area at the last rotorua winch comp, water temp was 110 deg, oil pressure gauge was not even registering.
Went back to a thicker grade 20w-50 i think? And never had a problem since.

Sweet I might give a thicker oil a go.. was about 100 degree on both oil and water at idle oil pressure light came on a couple times..now I'm guessing feeding two turbos from a tee in the oil pressure switch won't be helping though

Yeah ill sus some thicker oil this week...now anywhere closer than Woodhill for me to go playing this weekend coming up?(I'm from hamilton)

Return to “Projects / Mod's”