rock slider questions

uwish
Bush Crasher

rock slider questions

Postby uwish » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:27 pm

im looking at making some rock sliders for a mid 90's hilux double cab and have some questions.
i was going to make them by mounting some box section out from chassis then use box section to go in toward and mount on chassis, then out round pipe on the box section make the steps.(hope that make sense, it did in my head lol)

questions are:
1. what size and thickness of materials should i use? thinking 50x50 box section but not sure on thickness?
2. how to mount to chassis? u-bolts and plates or weld to chassis?
i am keen on the u-bolts but not sure if strong enough though?

any help and ideas welcome

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Re: rock slider questions

Postby coxsy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:38 pm

3 mm wall thickness is fine you can make u shaped mounts, C type mounts or u bolts all work ,
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:26 pm

If you need to get a cert you could weld them on I prefer bolting them on. I've used a U bracket with a bolt a the top used 60x6 was what I had at the time, used 40x40x3 box section and 32nbx3.2 pipe for the rest.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:45 pm

I bolt them on as well and I challenge anyone to be as hard on their rocksliders as I am :wink:
Not a fan of welding them to the chasiss as the point load is quite high where they mount which can kink a rail fairly easily. If they are welded on a decnet sized plate which is then welded to the chasiss rail I guess that would be okay, but why not just C channel them on and if you need/want to replace them or repair them it is an easy number to do.
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:40 pm

hey mate without sounding like the proverbial broken record its worth having a search through the archives (and toms thread :D ) there quite a few good threads with lots of info and pic's about sliders, there's a few billion different ways to do sliders and different types and styles that suit different applications and people so you can pick and choose what will suit you. Even if you weld brackets onto the chassis make the sliders bolt on coz somewhere down the track you'll be wanting to take them off to straighten them, modify them, throw them away coz there shit :shock: build stronger ones, do body repairs etc :D keep everything rounded and tucked back in at the ends so you dont have anything that'll keep snagging on shit which invariably ends up in body damage :? and make sure you construct them so your muddy gumboot cant slide down between the slider and the sill when your trying to climb back into the truck on a pissy angle resulting in a busted lower leg and lots of swearing and cursing :x Image

my 40 series cruiser sliders are made out of light tube and although they do their job they are bent and they flex pretty easily where my other cruiser uses heavier tube with good chassis mounts and they are rock solid and work heaps better

uwish
Bush Crasher

Postby uwish » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:41 pm

sweet, yeah i wanted them bolt on as well so now just need to work out size of box section and thickness, of top of head anyone know size of hilux chassis?(im not at workshop till tomorrow)

thanks for help guys

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:45 pm

I welded 10X50mm flat to the chassis on mine, then tapped some 12mm threads into them, to which I bolted on another 10X50mm flat to which has the sliders welded to them. Rock solid and removable.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:32 pm

depends on the slider pipe size 52od pipe 50x50 box or 42 mm pipe 40 mm box section
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:06 pm

rokhound wrote:I bolt them on as well and I challenge anyone to be as hard on their rocksliders as I am :wink:

Umhmmm 8) Bugger ya bolts Rok. :lol: And your c channel around your chassis is a filthy big anchor :roll: :mrgreen:
I prefer to weld them on :wink: minimum 100x100x5 with corners cut off, welded to the side of the chassis. 32NB medium wall for the rest of it.
Give at least 10mm clearence between the slider and the bottom edge of the sill.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:16 pm

tomsoffroad wrote:
rokhound wrote:I bolt them on as well and I challenge anyone to be as hard on their rocksliders as I am :wink:

Umhmmm 8) Bugger ya bolts Rok. :lol: And your c channel around your chassis is a filthy big anchor :roll: :mrgreen:
I prefer to weld them on :wink: minimum 100x100x5 with corners cut off, welded to the side of the chassis. 32NB medium wall for the rest of it.
Give at least 10mm clearence between the slider and the bottom edge of the sill.

We'll see if you can manage to get your rig to the end of the trip this time then baby :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I never seen a 6mm thick C channel hold up a truck. I have seen a few bent and twisted chasiss rails, having said that a 4x4 plate should disperse the laod alright. But if you want them out of the way later.........
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:37 am

rokhound wrote:
tomsoffroad wrote:

We'll see if you can manage to get your rig to the end of the trip this time then baby :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I never seen a 6mm thick C channel hold up a truck. I have seen a few bent and twisted chasiss rails, having said that a 4x4 plate should disperse the laod alright. But if you want them out of the way later.........

Ooooh game on buddy :lol: :lol:
Big grinder will remove most things pretty smartly :wink:

gismo
Driver/Navigator

Postby gismo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:00 pm

ha ya all
doesn't welding to the chassis mean cert or is that no longer the case.

nismo26
Hard Yaka

Postby nismo26 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 pm

Need cert if you weld to the chassis.

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:33 pm

What he said ^^^^^^^^ 8)

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Most 4x4s will need a cert sooner or later if youre doing everything right :mrgreen:
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

Return to “Projects / Mod's”