The Brumby

oldyella
Hard Yaka

The Brumby

Postby oldyella » Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Well after the LR was mis-behaving, I decided I needed a temporary 4wd, this popped up and I thought, hmmm, I could buy that and get rid of the 2.4D hilux daily driver...

1991 Brumby in pretty good nick with tuf dek and cover:

Its handy enough

Anyway, I think it has a distinct lack of front and rear bars and the tyres could do with being a bit larger... Maybe some rally type tyres, turbo?

Anyone have some first hand experience with these little utes?

I have already had to fix a headlight shorting out and causing the hi-beams to stay on.

Next is fix and oil and exhaust leak(s).

After that, who knows but I am pretty keen to get rid of the front bumper and get a tow hook...

PLAYUP
Bush Crasher

Re: The Brumby

Postby PLAYUP » Wed May 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Id repower it with a complete wrx drivetrain. Buts thats me..

BlakeJ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeJ » Wed May 22, 2013 9:28 pm

do you work in a mill down that way mate?

phraza
Hard Yaka

Postby phraza » Wed May 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Awesome, i've always wanted a brumby! I remember watching one of those old boy racer videos with that guy with the gold FLYEN MR2, cant remember what it was called. Had a Brumby with a WRX engine in it and the turbo out of the bonnet. Was nuts! Raced a motorbike... was sweet!

Wooo just found it:
2WD 06 Hilux... for now

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Wed May 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Na the old man manages a bit of a "bio fuel" op. Was up there getting some wood :wink:

Yea that brumby is fast, but im pretty sure it ain't got low box :mrgreen:

There are factory 1800 turbos with fuel injection. I don't think they ever came out in the brumby though.

There used to be outfits that did lift kits for them. I wonder what they comprised of...

damon
Bush Crasher

Postby damon » Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 pm

my mate has had heaps of these normally $50 hacks but all have lasted for years and gone anywere we always wanted to go. he lives on a station north of dunedin up the pigroot plenty steep hills and snow in the winter don undrestimate the brumby even 4 up a 4 wheeler 2 deer 4 pigs and 4 dogs will still climb the steepest of hills with no rear suspension 8)

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Wed May 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Nice,

Yea we used to have a $100 leone with the same running gear as this.

It lasted about two months but went places modified hiluxs got stuck in. Mainly because of hitting it a speed :lol:

I think the toughest this will see is the Dunstan Trail and after some mods perhaps Mt Buster...

diogenese
Hard Yaka

Postby diogenese » Wed May 22, 2013 10:11 pm

I might be giving away my pommie background here, I don't know if you have them here but you could go for a legacy 2.2 setup with a low range box. No turbo to worry about.
The low range is not a great deal lower than normal though!

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Wed May 22, 2013 10:29 pm

I have a couple of these we jems. A lift kit for them is basically blocks between the front and rear subframes and the body and spacers on top of the front struts, also it is recommended if you lift one to use L series lower control arms and cv shafts as they are longer.With a lift and a bit of front guard trimming you can get 27's under them. I do have a spare set of mudgrips laying around somewhere off of one.

The ea82 1800 turbo motors are just a little to wide to fit between the chassis rails without notching. It is the same with the quad cam motors. I have an ej22 in my project brumby with a legacy AWD hi-lo box.

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Wed May 22, 2013 10:59 pm

we got a few of them at our batch on the west coast well should i say we got a few half's of them. Most still run though even with no floors

one of the better ones
Attachments
IMG_0102.JPG

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Postby lilpigzuk » Wed May 22, 2013 11:04 pm

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Wed May 22, 2013 11:30 pm

The motor in there at the moment is the origional EA81 pushrod engine.

Are the turbo kits between the EA82 and EA81 different? Wikipedia is telling me that between 1983 and 1984 you could get a turbo brumby which must have been on an EA81 engine.

As for tyres, initially I was thinking something like these 185/70/13 rally tyres:

Here is the website http://www.rallytyres.co.nz/

But there are other options :!: I think I may be onto something 25" x 8" on a 12" rim ...

Unfortunately I haven't found a quadbike tyre for a 13" rim, so they would have to be offroad only so. It wouldn't be to hard to get some 12" rims drilled to the brumby stud pattern and throw the offroad tyres on the back when required... Would have to have a strange offset to clear the brakes tho

BlakeJ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeJ » Wed May 22, 2013 11:49 pm

if you are going to get rally tyres dont buy new, ask a local car / rally club. My father in law buys his MRF's froom the top 4wd guys for under 100 each and they have usually only done a couple of stages

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Wed May 22, 2013 11:52 pm

Yusssss! Awesome buy man!

lilpigzuk wrote:http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/1048765-any-subaru-gearheads-around-here.html

We had the 5 door wagon of that same round headlight vintage, 1800 and hi/lo box. Bought it new and had wrap around bull bars at one stage.

I mostly remember (back before shit was so pc) it for hanging onto the seat belt and leaning out the back window while my step-father did helicopter doughnuts on the beach every other Sunday :D Got into the habit of leaning out the window till the bastard put me into a gorse bush to teach me it wasn't always a good idea.

Not surprisingly it got a bit rusty and got sent to the farm about 15 years ago where it's still going as far as I know.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Thu May 23, 2013 7:58 am

These are cool! My bro had one back in the day and the only thing that'd stop it was water getting into the dizzy.

They rust out like fook though which is a real shame! Getting hard to find now.

this joker did a lift kit and stuff as per outback legacies, but I don't think he ever finished the thing and got it on the road :(
http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index ... +%2Bbrumby

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Thu May 23, 2013 10:16 am

oldyella wrote:The motor in there at the moment is the origional EA81 pushrod engine.

Are the turbo kits between the EA82 and EA81 different? Wikipedia is telling me that between 1983 and 1984 you could get a turbo brumby which must have been on an EA81 engine.

As for tyres, initially I was thinking something like these 185/70/13 rally tyres:

Here is the website http://www.rallytyres.co.nz/

But there are other options :!: I think I may be onto something 25" x 8" on a 12" rim ...

Unfortunately I haven't found a quadbike tyre for a 13" rim, so they would have to be offroad only so. It wouldn't be to hard to get some 12" rims drilled to the brumby stud pattern and throw the offroad tyres on the back when required... Would have to have a strange offset to clear the brakes tho

They do quad tyres for 13inch rims

Our polaris is 13inch, they have maxxis on them mate

3.5Pajero
Bush Crasher

Postby 3.5Pajero » Thu May 23, 2013 10:31 am

Awesome! Great idea for a daily driver.
I remember driving round the sand dunes over at Pouto a long way back at two turbo Leones came screaming down the beach, those things were insane! Did the wall of death at high speed and nearly made it to the top! Totally crazy.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Thu May 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Cameron wrote:this joker did a lift kit and stuff as per outback legacies, but I don't think he ever finished the thing and got it on the road :(
http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index ... +%2Bbrumby

Thanks for the link, interesting read.

I haven't found any rust in this one yet. It will be getting a steam clean underneath and some fishoil thrown around in excessive amounts I think :lol: Will remove the tufdek and put fishoil underthere as well.

ChurchurDan, you should post up a pic of the muds you have got. Its got muds/AT's with about 3-4mm tread at the moment so it there isn't to much traction avaliable in a slippery situation currently. All good on gravel though.

Interesting about the 13" quadbike rims. I was on the cycletreads website last night and couldn't find any quadbike tyres in 13" size but if I could get my hands on something reasonably priced, throw them on some Brumby rims, possibly flipped, bob's your uncle.

Oljamesyboy, you wouldn't happen to have a set of rims the same as what is on mine currently would you? Or have they rusted out to :lol: Not worried if the need a sandblast and a paint.

Or anyone else for that matter?

Would be interested in a spare passenger or drivers guard so I could fit a snorkel...

Cheers,

Pete

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Thu May 23, 2013 8:40 pm

KIWI_TERRANO wrote:They do quad tyres for 13inch rims

Our polaris is 13inch, they have maxxis on them mate

Jumped on the Maxxis.com website and common sizes are 12" then quite a few 14" as well. Didn't find any at 13"

What version maxxis are they?

Cheers,

Pete

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Fri May 24, 2013 3:49 pm

They were bighorns, il find the polaris broucher we have and give you the few thats in it

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Fri May 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Interesting, they didn't list 13" as an option on the Maxxis.com website.

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/ATV-Utility/M917-Bighorn-Radial-Front.aspx

A list of other options from Polaris would be great as it will give me a good starting point to ask around for...

Cheers,

Pete

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Tue May 28, 2013 9:56 am

So far the Brumby is going great, even on its 1/2 worn 175/70/13 mini muds

Hacking around some random side road in Roxburgh :mrgreen:

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Tue May 28, 2013 10:08 am

Cool, I had a lot of fun in an old 1600 one back in the day. It's amazing where they'll go. Stupid fun on a gravel road too, really easy to control in a drift.

Mine had quite a good bullbar setup on it where the bar was mounted right back to the front x-member - two rails ran forward & up with a skid pan between them. This compensated for the lack of approach angle as if you hit an obstacle fast enough the front would sledge up until the tyres got some bite & you were away :lol:

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Tue May 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Yes I am thinking I may need a front bar similar. I also think I will need a few points to get a highlift jack under...

Plenty of fun to be had around Roxburgh today :D

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Sun May 11, 2014 10:23 pm

Well the brumby is in the garage for repairs as the CV's started to click, and there was an exhaust flange that kept blowing out the gasket because of it's stupid spring loaded design.

Stripping down the front end I found that the wheel bearings were on there way out and the bottom balljoints were toast.

So I have sourced new wheel bearings, and bottom ball joints, new exhaust flanges to weld on and gasket. But the CV's are a stupid amount so I am looking to source of ebay.

Just wondering if anyone has some contacts they could get me a good price through in New Zealand. PM me if ya do.

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 pm

I could probably help you. Have you got them off? Can you pm me the Outer spline count, the seal size and the inner spline count?

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Mon May 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Pics of CV's and axle assembly. How would getting an inner and outer CV joint kit and putting onto my existing axle assembly compare to getting an entirely new axle assembly with CV's?

I have this idea that the inner part will be worn out as well so replacing the inner and outer CV's with kits onto the existing axle will still be loose as a goose.

Also pulled up the tuff deck to inspect for rust. There was none

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Mon May 12, 2014 7:24 pm

being as the inner only gets up and down movement (mostly) as long as they are greased and clean they shouldn't give grief. Inners are very expensive, as you can not really buy them off the shelf. $325 to rebuild @ trade is what we used to charge. A complete shaft IF you can find one will run you at least $2-300 and a outer joint is around $ 65

oldyella
Hard Yaka

Postby oldyella » Mon May 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Yea, but the inners are shagged because the heat from exhaust splits the boots causing them to fail prematurely. :evil:

So, I'm up for the whole lot one way or another

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Mon May 12, 2014 8:38 pm

Hmm. The inners tend to give you a vibration. How do you know they are shagged.

To rebuild them we used to build up the maitng surface for the rollers machine them flat, and the reharden the machined area. New rollers and then re assemble. As I said I used to charge $325 for a basic 3 roller setup plus grab snatch take.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”