got an 80... now where to begin

surf10
Hard Yaka

Re: got an 80... now where to begin

Postby surf10 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:07 pm

truck looks good .ive got a 2" lift on my 80 with 33s and love it as well. very capable trucks

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:25 am

callumb wrote: anybody heard of those transmission valve body's that are supposed to be good?

I'm running 35s and sometimes 37s with a 6" lift. Did the diff ratios sometime ago as it was hard to get rolling.
Was constantly monitoring my trans temp when towing up long hills (was pulling a 3.5T boat) I bought a valve body in from Aussie last year as I wanted third gear lock up.
Made a huge difference as it kept my trans temp down when towing up hills in third.
The gear changes are a lot crisper. Valve body was really easy to change over (did it in an afternoon)

callumb
Bush Crasher

Postby callumb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:34 am

Diorama wrote:
callumb wrote: anybody heard of those transmission valve body's that are supposed to be good?

I'm running 35s and sometimes 37s with a 6" lift. Did the diff ratios sometime ago as it was hard to get rolling.
Was constantly monitoring my trans temp when towing up long hills (was pulling a 3.5T boat) I bought a valve body in from Aussie last year as I wanted third gear lock up.
Made a huge difference as it kept my trans temp down when towing up hills in third.
The gear changes are a lot crisper. Valve body was really easy to change over (did it in an afternoon)

What sorta cost are they?

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:02 pm

callumb wrote:
Diorama wrote:

What sorta cost are they?

It was $995 + freight of $235. They charge an extra $450 which is refundable on return of your existing valve body. Thats all Ausi dollars. Now would be a good time to buy with the exchange rate between Aus & NZ.

callumb
Bush Crasher

Postby callumb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 pm

The gear changes are a lot crisper. Valve body was really easy to change over (did it in an afternoon)[/quote]

What sorta cost are they?[/quote]
It was $995 + freight of $235. They charge an extra $450 which is refundable on return of your existing valve body. Thats all Ausi dollars. Now would be a good time to buy with the exchange rate between Aus & NZ.[/quote]

Sorry, should've asked before, who did you get yours through? And are all gaskets/orings/new filter included?

Diorama
Hard Yaka

Postby Diorama » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Yes everything is included including new filter. Got it from wholesale Automatics in Ausi

callumb
Bush Crasher

Postby callumb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:30 pm

Diorama wrote:Yes everything is included including new filter. Got it from wholesale Automatics in Ausi

Sweet thanks for that info

callumb
Bush Crasher

Postby callumb » Sun May 11, 2014 10:53 pm

Found a fuel pump adjustment for my cruiser and clicked it up a knotch, not as sluggish and boosts lower, very good improvement. Trans may be starting to have a couple of pressure issues, as when cold this morning wounds shift to second for quite awhile and a lot of revs. Have heard of valve body seals letting pressure slip out, have been too broke to do any mods lately sorry

callumb
Bush Crasher

Postby callumb » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:11 am

image.jpg
Righto, have bought a winch, will be fitting behind stock front bumper.

I removed bumper and started work, made a 10mm plate that bolted up to the chassis, braced underneath and on the insides bolted the winch and plate in, chopped out a section of bumper and it sits just behind. I've also mounted the solenoid behind the bumper, took out the vents and everything is easily accessible by hand. Some use a universal winch mount, but I am interested to see how this will go, hopefully my welds hold the tow hooks on... Might have to snatch a tree...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

callumb
Bush Crasher

Postby callumb » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:39 pm

Righto, have removed the winch plate, untested and up for sale haha, I've now found a tjm navara bullbar and cut, welded in brakets and fitted it to the front here's a snap of fitting
Attachments
image.jpg

callumb
Bush Crasher

Postby callumb » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:05 pm

image.jpg
So now she's turned into a hippie wagon, 2" lift to go in shortly, trans is buggered, misses 3rd when cold, looking for a manual conversion or will do up the auto

callumb
Bush Crasher

Postby callumb » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:07 pm

Have found a manual conversion so the auto will be yanked out ASAP

Reasons for going manual

1. Conversion kit the same price as a rebuild
2. ReBuild the trans and Murphy's law I'll get it stuck in a river, fill it with water and shag it.
3. Can't pull start the auto in the middle of nowhere by myself.

Things im going to miss

1. Low speed mudding, crawling up hills.
2. Relaxed driving technique.

olielux
Bush Crasher

Postby olielux » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:31 am

Mate couldn't agree with you more on the manual conversion as instead of a conversion I just sold my auto 80 and bought a manual one but its great to know if the starter craps out or anything else a manual is a lot easier to get home, but that said the auto was great when following behind another truck at low speed,
At the end of the day they both have good points but I wont be going back,

Trucks looking good by the way

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:38 am

callumb wrote:Have found a manual conversion so the auto will be yanked out ASAP

Reasons for going manual

1. Conversion kit the same price as a rebuild
2. ReBuild the trans and Murphy's law I'll get it stuck in a river, fill it with water and shag it.
3. Can't pull start the auto in the middle of nowhere by myself.

Things im going to miss

1. Low speed mudding, crawling up hills.
2. Relaxed driving technique.

I spent a little extra and had it reconditioned before it went in. Well worth it. Was still only a grand difference to getting the auto recon'd
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

callumb
Bush Crasher

Postby callumb » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:52 am

Yeah I am a mechanic, so am able to rebuild a manual myself which is a great help price wise

callumb
Bush Crasher

Postby callumb » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:08 pm

So I thought I should update this, I put in a manual box last year, the conversion was fairly straight forward, lately I've had an issue where I've had a squeak from the gearbox area like a dry bearing doing driveshaft speed, so I pulled the box this week... my bearings seemed to be all in order input, release and spigot, which left me scratching my head, I replaced the spigot and release anyhow, as I was connecting the speedo cable... I noticed a squeak... so I hooked it up to the drill, sure enough a driveline squeak appeared to be resonating right above the bell housing as it came into the cab... it sounds as though something was going to leap out of the box it was that bad... needless to say, I'm relieved I found something at least!

The next step for the cruiser is a few more general repairs, power steering pump and resovour replace/rekit. I have just replaced a fuel primer pump, it now runs a modified D40 navara bullbar, I'm also on the look out for a decent 2inc lift, mine is a bit soft, and a part time kit for the 4wd, also if anyone knows where to buy some sound deadening in invercargill let me know

Return to “Projects / Mod's”