Who uses a Scuba tank for on board air?

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Who uses a Scuba tank for on board air?

Postby DMcCready » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Thinking of using a scuba tank for an air supply on the buggy. Im real tight for space and I like having a good high pressure supply for reseating beads seeing I run tubeless tyres.

So the tank part is easy...I am looking at getting a smaller 'back up' tank.

What I am having a bit of trouble with is the regulator. I have no experience with dive stuff and cant tell if I can modify a dive regulator to fill tyres or should I modify/use a regulator for filling paintball tanks.

What do you guys use?

Cheers
There's gotta be some rocks round here SOMEWHERE!

teamorange
Driver/Navigator

Re: Who uses a Scuba tank for on board air?

Postby teamorange » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:27 am

You will need a dive tank that is in code otherwise a shop wont re-fill it, you then need to buy a first stage regulator which has hi and low pressure outlets, you use the low pressure to connect to a tyre inflator and if you want to see whats in the tank you can fit a gauge to the hi outlet.

My standard 1988 dive tank holds 3000 PSI, i can inflate 16 (33 inch) tyres from around 10PSI to around 35 PSI

In under 10 mins i am aired up and ready to go, it used to take about 45 mins with a 150 PSI @ $200 compressor.

I get through about 1 cheap tyre inflator a year as i dont think they like the pressure, i have never tried a more expensive inflator to see if that lasts longer.

Cheers

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:58 pm

I have a pair of dive tanks that I use for both inflating tires and powering tools. I use a very well worn oxy regulator that i got from a scrap metal dealer and it works like a charm.
Tony
Tony.

tycho
Hard Yaka

Postby tycho » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:57 pm

Have you thought about a CO2 setup? I have a 4.5kg tank that gets filled with liquid CO2 so heaps of gas volume at constant pressure 700-800psi. Using a Powertank high volume regulator. Fills tyres real quick (faster than a gas station) and can run air tools also. Compact setup.
http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af11 ... D220C8.jpg

DMcCready
Hard Yaka

Postby DMcCready » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:15 pm

I have tycho... the power tank was my first choice but I havnt been able to find anyone to fill them in wellington. Where do you get yours filled?
There's gotta be some rocks round here SOMEWHERE!

tycho
Hard Yaka

Postby tycho » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:33 pm

DMcCready wrote:I have tycho... the power tank was my first choice but I havnt been able to find anyone to fill them in wellington. Where do you get yours filled?

My tank was bought from Harvey Norman as it is used for home brew and has the NZ standard fitting so any CO2 supply company will fill it. Just needed to swap the regulator nut out from the US one to NZ standard, fortunately with the Powertank regulator you can reuse the stock stem and just swap the nuts over, hope this makes sense. Picture here of the two nuts- the black one is stock.
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af11 ... 01F0BD.jpg

Return to “Projects / Mod's”