First ever build (maybe) Supra surf

G34R5
Bush Crasher

First ever build (maybe) Supra surf

Postby G34R5 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:52 am

Howdy yall! so after some research i am thinking that instead of selling my surf to just repower it with a supra engine :D ofcourse ill need a little bit of advise so right now looking to see how much is actually involved in something like this. Probs going to look into putting a 2jz into it so my best guess is my little g52 gearbox wont handle that SO! i does need to know what gear box i should be looking for, keeping in mind i aint made of mulah so want things to be somewhat cheap haha :D but looking at it most people think going "r" series is best, what about "w" like 55's and 58's? Also from what i hear a 2jz should mean i dont have to move engine mounts?

Pic just coz :P

Last edited by G34R5 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay
Hard Yaka

Re: First ever build (maybe) Supra surf

Postby Jay » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:14 pm

Gidday,

The supra 2jz into the surf used to be a very popular conversion around 10-15 years ago... There was quite a few of them floating around at the time, and still heaps of you-tube vid's out there of them. Most just go straight for the lexus v8 now.... probably cost you around the same and much more bang for buck - can't go past the sound of 8 or more cylinders :twisted:

Jay

G34R5
Bush Crasher

Postby G34R5 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:32 pm

haha dont think my wallet will agree with the refuel costs of a v8 though :P or they not as bad as i think?

Jay
Hard Yaka

Postby Jay » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:48 pm

I had one in my hilux (ute) for a while, and compared to a 350 chev I put in a swb GQ, it was amazing on petrol lol

Being the Lexus is only a 4 litre though - there pretty good on fuel - like most, comes down to how you drive it, what you will be using it for etc....... I would say defiantly worth considering and asking around/doing a bit of research.

End of the day though, either motor is going to wake your truck up! :D

Jay

G34R5
Bush Crasher

Postby G34R5 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:47 pm

ah allgoods but still though a 2jz would be cheaper to get a hold of rather then a 1uz, and im not a speed guru just would like a litte more power lol so thinking the 2jz will do my surf just fine :)

ALSO a mate has a 3L v6 surf sitting on 35's, is it worth picking that up from him for dirt cheap and swapping the engine over from that, then i got wheels and tyres sorted too, plus then i would imagine my g56 gearbox would bolt straight onto it and handle the power maybe?

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:07 pm

I had the 3L V6 surf for awhile and spent a bit trying figure out where the fuel leak was....there wasnt one its is the thirstiest motor I ever driven :cry: It certainly was a good powerful one and preformed well, but the fuel gauge behaves more like a vacuum one. :shock: We only got about 320ks on road. I hear those that put the Lexus in get better fuel economy :mrgreen: My 2c worth

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:10 pm

Surf v6 is hungrier on juice than a well set up V8.
My YN60 Surf has a 5M in it, old school but loves revving. not so good low down for torque though

G34R5
Bush Crasher

Postby G34R5 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:38 pm

Ok so the v6 is a bit of a drinker then what about a supra engine? They drinkers too and can't really v8 it as don't got the cash but am really considering the v6 due to the fact I'll get a few more mods to stick onto my surf aswell lol

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:52 pm

You will enjoy the power of the V6, if its only a bush brasher you maybe able to justify the extra $$ at the pump. We would only get about 120ks off road, so if your in for a few days then take extra gas with you.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:06 pm

my 5m gave pretty much tank for tank against a mates Auto 1KZ Surf.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:09 pm

the 2JZ NA was good in the prado, went really well and cost less to run than the 1KZ accounting for maintenance, RUC & Fuel
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:21 pm

2jz would be an ok option as would the 1uz both motors are similar in price to buy around the 1500-2g mark adapding manual gearboxes to the 1uz is where it starts getting expensive base on around 2g for that alone where as the 2jz has a factory r series box behind it so if you get a manual motor you will be away laughing dont even think along the lines of G or W series boxes wont handle the stress for long, never managed to blow up a r series behind my 1uz. then i moved to auto and love it. i have a friend with a 1jz in a prado and it went well except that it lacked torque bigtime i geuss the 2jz would be better but havent seen one in action the 1uz are much of a torque dominator either have you thought about other avenues 1kz ect. any conversion is going to cost you money and alot more if you cant do alot of things yourself i usually base a engine conversion on around 5g sometimes over and sometimes under depending on how ,much of the work you can do yourself

G34R5
Bush Crasher

Postby G34R5 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Ok so ya rekon I'm looking at around 5g for the engine conversion to say a 2jz and r series gear box so what about then buying my mates surf for 1k and leaving the 3l v6 in there and swap the auto to a manual? Then use my surfs diff to SAS the front and put the LSD in the rear? Lol so many options hahah

Also have to add that what ever goes on that this truck will be my daily driver haha
Last edited by G34R5 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:44 pm

What ever you decide, Don't chop the old Surf up for parts. :-(

G34R5
Bush Crasher

Postby G34R5 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Haha definitly will try not too :P want to just repower it if I can ae haha so few of them and so many 90s era surf that if happily chop one of them up hahah

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:29 pm

G34R5 wrote:Also have to add that what ever goes on that this truck will be my daily driver haha

add the cost of a cheep runabout car into your re-power budget mate :D

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:56 pm

Do you want to repower it for power or fuel savings? If fuel savings then just keep filling up the tank will be much cheaper in the long run. And if you are really short on cash sell it for 2-3G and spend your money on another truck. Much cheaper to buy someone else's money pit for much less than what they have spent.

Or if you really want to do an engine conversion for the fun of doing it then good stuff. Go for it. Just remember it will cost money and take a lot of time without your daily driver.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:02 pm

And also having an underpowered 4x4 is not necessarily a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. In some ways its preferable.

I saw that 4wdstuff post advertising dual transfer adapters and the first thing I thought about was this vehicle. Would be a great platform to start from for a sleeper-crawler.

G34R5
Bush Crasher

Postby G34R5 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:25 pm

Would like a repower for both reasons lol fuel consumption and power haha atm on road I'm crawling up the hills outside Akaroa in 2nd gear at like 30kmh lol off-road it ain't too bad but can still run outta power on some hills but that is another option is to sell and buy something else (original plan) also how long would and repower take to do? If I was trying to do most of it myself to simply learn a lot haha so that's researching everything as probs making a few mistakes lol

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:37 pm

By the time you purchase a motor, gearbox, clutch, bell housing, exhaust, radiator, driveshafts, wiring, fuel pump, and then get a cert you would be lucky to get away for less than 5g if you do most of the work yourself.

If you have 5g then you could sell your truck and have 7k to spend and get yourself an already modded truck.

I have done a couple of conversions and they are great fun. I did a 1uz LN130 and it was awesome but now have a diesel.....

Good luck.

Matt.

G34R5
Bush Crasher

Postby G34R5 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:37 pm

ok so probs end up being 5-7k for a full repower haha bit outta my price range so is there any way to pull more power outta the little 3y i have? haha or a engine that will fully bolt straight in and up to my g52 ? haha am considering getting a 3l v6 surf on 35"s as the basis of a build project, keep this thing as it is and as a daily driver and then sell once surf it up and proper the way i want it haha? better way to go? plus i can this thing probs being worth more the closer it is to stock hahah

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Fit EFI from later model 3YE Surf or Hiace etc. Consider changing diff ratios for a bit more power, especially if you run larger tyres.

G34R5
Bush Crasher

Postby G34R5 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:58 pm

running 31s atm and didnt think id go much bigger with the small power. so if fitting an EFI it would increase the power but then decrease again once i fit 33"s without changing ratios so i should still effectively have the same power as i do atm? haha

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:06 pm

G34R5 wrote:running 31s atm and didnt think id go much bigger with the small power. so if fitting an EFI it would increase the power but then decrease again once i fit 33"s without changing ratios so i should still effectively have the same power as i do atm? haha

yep

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:16 pm

Why not 3rz?

G34R5
Bush Crasher

Postby G34R5 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:21 pm

yeah saw bigstu threw one into his surf, what they like on fuel and cost to get a hold of? it would still require everything from clutch, gearbox, bell housing etc to all be redone as well though right? even if it did bolt onto my little gearbox the power would be too much ae?

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:27 pm

A 130 series Surf with a 3L v6 on 35s will drink the gas!

An ifs surf isn't really good with tyres greater than 33in IMHO. Get used to changing cvs.

The WEHI
Hard Yaka

Postby The WEHI » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:41 pm

2 words gas turbo? run it turbo lpg? becomes a small hassle that not all fuel stations carry lpg pumps but will gain more power and usualy cheap to build if you wait for the deals or possibly a suck through supercharger not sure how well an sc14 would like an air/fuel mixture run through it but may be an option?
The_wehi@hotmail.com
(027 788 1046)
pzj70,35's,Lockers,Winch and some stickers for added flex.
^^Soon to be on safari axles and 5.13's, 37's linked front and rear^^
Ln60 project (money pit) <-- Sold
Pzj77 Turbo/auto,33's .

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:47 pm

Sounds like dollars are too tight to do an engine conversion, just drive what you go, suck it up, yeah its slow but it gets you out 4wding. look into cheap mods that don't require cert.
Buy a small cheap car as a daily if its the slow on road you hate most.
If you really want to start modding it big time, engines etc, start saving the coin, buying the parts you need and putting them away until you have everything needed, plus some spare coin to make sure the job gets finished once you start.
I bought my YN60 Surf with plans similar to yours, I still have the Surf, and its still not legal, I ended up stumping up the coin and buying another wagon ready to go 4wding, a Prado with Winch, locker, 33s bar work for not much over 5K.

The WEHI
Hard Yaka

Postby The WEHI » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Smurf wrote:Sounds like dollars are too tight to do an engine conversion, just drive what you go, suck it up, yeah its slow but it gets you out 4wding. look into cheap mods that don't require cert.
Buy a small cheap car as a daily if its the slow on road you hate most.
If you really want to start modding it big time, engines etc, start saving the coin, buying the parts you need and putting them away until you have everything needed, plus some spare coin to make sure the job gets finished once you start.
I bought my YN60 Surf with plans similar to yours, I still have the Surf, and its still not legal, I ended up stumping up the coin and buying another wagon ready to go 4wding, a Prado with Winch, locker, 33s bar work for not much over 5K.

x2 i Had a non turbo 2.4 diesel surf lifted retardidly high on 35's i could do 100kmh just on flat roads but i only ever drove it when going 4wding because once in 4low the power was never the problem the fact it was stupidly high was :mrgreen:
The_wehi@hotmail.com
(027 788 1046)
pzj70,35's,Lockers,Winch and some stickers for added flex.
^^Soon to be on safari axles and 5.13's, 37's linked front and rear^^
Ln60 project (money pit) <-- Sold
Pzj77 Turbo/auto,33's .

Return to “Projects / Mod's”