Re: 1994 Pathfinder Build

Postby MUDFINDER » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:37 pm

zukmeista wrote:Karmas a bitch ain't it... :lol:

Didn't ask for your opinion :?:

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:07 pm

td42 is a long motor and heavy, especially in a terrano. a vh45de might fit better still lots of cutting out inner guards still

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:41 pm

passengerpete wrote:td42 is a long motor and heavy, especially in a terrano. a vh45de might fit better still lots of cutting out inner guards still

you have to look at it from not only the power/torque gain but the budget.....and im not talking the cost of conversion.....in the long run you also have to take into account the chassi strength...a cast iron TD42 would probably have enough weight to collapse the IFS suspension if you hit a bump ditch etc hard enough.... and if it didn't you would be replacing suspension components every 3 to 6 months due to the extra weight the truck is constantly now under, brought a set of lower control arm bushes lately?

the Rb/RD series was a medium sized casting with 2.0 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.8 and 3.0 litre capacity, the TD42 was originally a truck engine. with a bigger block again.

pete here has suggested another alternative which would be better suited then the TD too to the lighter terrano chassi, is the v8, and once again alot is interchangeable. if you use the auto the v8 bell housing will bolt to the re4/5*** series trans that is used in the R20 and R50.

a friend of mine managed to get his hands on a military spec aluminium Vk56 from a patrol, lucky ba**ard but wont part with it. :cry:
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:46 pm

Does anybody know if,

1: My factory manual vg30 gearbox will bolt up to a newer QD32 Turbo EFI engine? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 739391.htm

2: If sub-frame/cross-members and engines mounts are similar/same?

I know that the diff ratios are different in the diesels compared to the petrol terrano/pathfinders and a QD32 is looking like a hell of a alot easier of a conversion than a 6 cylinder diesel engine

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:07 pm

And that's why u go wheeling all by yourself and rely on others to pull you out.... Cause ur a dick with no mates

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:10 pm

if the to hard basket is chocker, then perhaps replace the bent conrod in ya truck, take an hour and see whats locked up in ya motor first it may not cost to much to get yours going again even a s/hand motor might be to go. a engine conversion is a bit extreme lol.

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:14 pm

J_Dub wrote:

And that's why u go wheeling all by yourself and rely on others to pull you out.... Cause ur a dick with no mates

I'd really appreciate it if we'd just forget that and move on haha, i don't want to ruin this thread with arguments over stupid shit

datsunsafari
Hard Yaka

Postby datsunsafari » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:23 pm

The bombing range is a no go area bud :roll: you might want to think twice before going up there and then posting it up online.I know a couple of chaps that did the same thing,they got a trespass notice that included the woodhill 4wd park :wink:

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:24 pm

passengerpete wrote:if the to hard basket is chocker, then perhaps replace the bent conrod in ya truck, take an hour and see whats locked up in ya motor first it may not cost to much to get yours going again even a s/hand motor might be to go. a engine conversion is a bit extreme lol.

Yeah could do i guess but the engine in it was fairly tired and getting up quite high in the kms anyways (not to say it wasn't a good runner though) but i had looked at the option of some sort of power increase anyways. Petrol turbo would be cool, Vg30et was what i was originally wanting, whether it be a plus T or a genuine turbo engine but part of me has always wanted a diesel turbo too which i think would be a bit better now. I didn't think about the weight of a TD42 and had heard from friends of mine who have td27's in there terrano's, running similar suspension lift and tyre size as me, that they are a little under powered compared to the vg30 terrano/pathfinder

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:27 pm

datsunsafari wrote:The bombing range is a no go area bud :roll: you might want to think twice before going up there and then posting it up online.I know a couple of chaps that did the same thing,they got a trespass notice that included the woodhill 4wd park :wink:

Ohhhh... I was not aware of that :? i'll avoid going there from now on! I don't really want to loose privileges to the 4WD park! Thanks for the heads up mate :)

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:53 pm

the costs of doing a repower starts adding up mate especially if you want to keep the thing road legal don't discount selling or parting the thing out and buying the sort of truck you want that someone's already poured millions into setting up and modifying... their loss and your gain :D

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:15 pm

MUDFINDER wrote:Does anybody know if,

1: My factory manual vg30 gearbox will bolt up to a newer QD32 Turbo EFI engine? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 739391.htm

2: If sub-frame/cross-members and engines mounts are similar/same?

I know that the diff ratios are different in the diesels compared to the petrol terrano/pathfinders and a QD32 is looking like a hell of a alot easier of a conversion than a 6 cylinder diesel engine

The bell housing are different, you will need either a complete TD/QD/BD trans as from memory, the box in the pathfinder is all one casting bell housing and front half all one piece.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:48 pm

J_Dub wrote:

I'm his mate. And so are plenty of others here :D But that doesnt mean I think he should have made an antagonising post.

Come on now fellas theres been a good vibe around ORE lately, Some of us have had differences in the past, thats all water under the bridge now. :D Attacking the subject is way different to attacking the person, Lets not be online bullies and remember the ORE brotherhood is to help each other out.

We've all damaged trucks in our time, christ once I simultaneously grenaded both front and rear diffs in a Range Rover Classic, as well as tearing a couple of calipers off their mounts in the Waimak... its not about whats happened but whats we're going to do to fix it. :D

With that in mind, how about a VG33 swap from an R50 Terrano? :o
Last edited by lax2wlg on Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:03 pm

^^^ I was thinking the same, the big brother motor from what you have now...

But maybe seriously consider the td27?

Power and economy and simplicity.

The VG motors are a prick to work on aren't they??

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:03 pm

J_Dub wrote:^^^ I was thinking the same, the big brother motor from what you have now...

But maybe seriously consider the td27?

Power and economy and simplicity.

The VG motors are a prick to work on aren't they??

The vg33 would certainly be the easiest re-power package option. I've found that being a v6 they're rather awkward to work on in place but if i were to go ahead with it i would aim to get everything done out of the truck before it goes in, as much as possible anyhow.

Found this on Trademe for $1000 http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 770448.htm Pretty fair price in my opinion and is looking like more of an option if my gearbox will bolt up to it

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:20 pm

I didn't even think about it but a VH45 V8 Quad cam would be sooooo dope! i found one that's on $1 reserve on trademe :o http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 720811.htm May have to place a bid.... :D

johnny262
Hard Yaka

Postby johnny262 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Talk to darinz on here, I think he has one in a Terrano race truck..? By all means dont take MY words as gospel, but the cost/time/effort a repower like that would far outweigh fixing or swapping in another vg30 and gettin back in the mud

That is of course unless theres a pile of money burning a hole in your pocket, in which case im looking forward to this build for sure :mrgreen:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:40 pm

MUDFINDER wrote:I didn't even think about it but a VH45 V8 Quad cam would be sooooo dope! i found one that's on $1 reserve on trademe :o http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 720811.htm May have to place a bid.... :D

it's even got the right bell housing :idea:

johnny262
Hard Yaka

Postby johnny262 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:28 pm

Haha oh well no excuse not to now..

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:19 pm

Howd you get on Mudfinder?

Did you find another VG30 to slot in?
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:32 am

lax2wlg wrote:Howd you get on Mudfinder?

Did you find another VG30 to slot in?

Hey mate,

I haven't actually made a decision as to what i'm going to do yet. For the meantime i think that my best option would be just to slap another vg30 in it and look into the re-power package once its running again, sick of seeing the bloody thing just sitting there on the front lawn! :lol: I wana drive it!!! The trucks parked up and probably will be for a while when i do a re-power to it so i can sort out funds and whatever else needs to be done on it. I just have to wait till I have sold one of my other cars first though before I can realistically think about spending any big money on it :lol: On that note, anyone on here after a ute? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =809658386 Haha..

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Okay, so an update on what I've finally decided to do... I've bought myself a low kms vg30e from Trademe, as well as a turbo & manifold from a vg30det which i will now customize to fit. The engine is strong & healthy as. It's going to be interesting to see how it's actually going to fit in the engine bay, the manifold itself will probably be the most difficult part. My understanding is that the turbo manifold from the vg30det is the same, except that the flanges are in reverse pattern to the vg30e. This is also what i have been confirmed by nisbitz spare parts. So the same as the RB series engine, the single cams & dual cams are the same flange, but one is reversed from the other.

One question i do have though, does anybody know if there are any aftermarket ecu chips for the vg30? I don't particularly want to run a new ECU but if i have to, i will. And i don't believe that the factory ECU will do the job.

A little rant too, I've been having issues with a particular business that i got my 4WD parts from. A New Zealand company to be exact. I don't want to 'name and shame' them at this stage cause it's obviously a slip up, but I ordered a 'safari snorkel' from them over 3 weeks ago and I was told at the time that they were not in stock, even though they were according to the site (not an issue at the time). Anyhow, I was told that it would be three weeks landed in New Zealand on the slow boat from Australia. It's now been three weeks, if not a little longer. I received a message from W****n saying that it will be ready at the end of the week for collection or delivery. Come the end of the week, I get in contact with them asking when is okay to come and collect it? I received a message saying "Snorkel wasn't in the container, contacted Aussies yesterday to find out wtf" I obviously wasn't too impressed :evil: , having already paid for the parts.. Not like the truck is exactly going anywhere at this stage but not the point. I'm not really too sure what to do now, I have tried getting in contact with them & haven't had any response and I'm starting to get a little pissed off about it. I've left a message with them asking what's the deal & if it's going to take too much longer I'd really like my $500 back.. I know alot of you on here would have dealt with them before and when i got my other parts it wasn't any trouble. Just a little stuck on what to do as i haven't had any response :roll:

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:26 pm

alot of nissan ecus can have chips fitted and then tuned. talk to a local dyno tuner near you and they should be able to help you. alot of silvia and skyline guys get it done and can suit high horsepower - will be alot cheaper than an new ecu.
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:08 pm

jonossiksilvia wrote:alot of nissan ecus can have chips fitted and then tuned. talk to a local dyno tuner near you and they should be able to help you. alot of silvia and skyline guys get it done and can suit high horsepower - will be alot cheaper than an new ecu.

Yeah man, I've got a chipped ECU in my commodore but couldn't find anything on trademe for the vg series engine. May have to look elsewhere overseas for options i guess

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:27 pm

check out this page but only thing is chch. someone in auckland should be able to do it. http://www.nzefi.com/dyno-tuning/
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:43 pm

jonossiksilvia wrote:check out this page but only thing is chch. someone in auckland should be able to do it. http://www.nzefi.com/dyno-tuning/

Awesome, thanks bro! I'll keep you guys updated as to how i get on

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:10 pm

I had been thinking about small bits and pieces that I can do while the truck is off the road for it's new heart transplant. I noticed that the carpet in the truck was getting yuck as from all the water, mud & sand, so I decided to remove it and under-seal the inside with this thick tar like chassis paint that 3M supplies. I've used it on previous older vehicles of mine and it has done a great job!
undersealer.jpg
It's starting to look a bit better! have only done about a 1/3 of the inside that needs to be done though :shock: it's taking forever with the little brush i have :lol: I also found it rather interesting that Nissan decided it would be a good idea to mount the ECU under the drivers seat too so it can get water logged and f*cked when the truck fills with water :| Would've thought that they would at least have mounted it somewhere a little bit higher? Considering skylines/cefiros/laurels/sylvia's etc all have there factory ones mounted down by the drivers foot well tucked up quite high? ohwell, suppose it's another thing I will have to look into is relocating it or containing it in a water-tight container of some sort...

Had an update from the parts supplier that supposedly there was a mix-up with the shipping and that my new snorkel should be here in a matter of days once customs has cleared the container! :P about bloody time...

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:32 pm

snorkel.jpg
This would have been handy about 2 weeks ago :lol:

MUDFINDER
Hard Yaka

Postby MUDFINDER » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:24 pm

The truck has been getting a little TLC lately.. I've finished under-sealing the inside of the truck and it turned out pretty good!
new interior 2.jpg
new interior.jpg
I'm now starting on the underside of the truck and then panel and painting the outside! :D I got myself some 2k Gloss black paint for the exterior which will tidy it up a bit! I was going to go with military green, but scored this for free so can't complain..

Have finally sussed myself a descent winch bar for the front.. A friend of mine is building a bar similar to this
winch bar option 1.jpg
A tube bar that tucks the winch in nice and close and is also building a rear bar to replace the rear bumper. We will then begin the roll cage inside the truck, which is going to start off as a half-cage then proceed into a full cage eventually.

Will update with pictures as i go along !

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Postby fh2014 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Nice looking winch bar bro let us know how you get on, would love one for my terrano. How you getting on with the engine dramas?

Return to “Projects / Mod's”