3" Straight Pipe

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

3" Straight Pipe

Postby tuckertrucker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi all

so im going ahead with a 3" straight pipe set up on my Nissan Safari. The motor is a TD42 with a after market turbo on it. Im wondering if anyone can tell me what I'll need to adjust or tune for the motor to run with the straight pipe, or will it be fine as it.

I understand that the turbo puts a fair amount of back pressure on the exhaust any way, and I've got custom extractors so pre turbo is tuned nicely. Will I need to tune anything else?

Cheers Dylan.

stovanovich
Hard Yaka

Re: 3" Straight Pipe

Postby stovanovich » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:13 am

If road legal you will need to have at least one muffler of some description, resonator is best as they don't restrict the flow (sound better too that way more truck less tractor haha)
Te Rino
'92 Nissan Terrano | Intercooled TD27T | 33 x 10.5s
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42742
"Hubs In, Caps Off"

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:54 am

stovanovich wrote:If road legal you will need to have at least one muffler of some description, resonator is best as they don't restrict the flow (sound better too that way more truck less tractor haha)

haha right. I spoke to a guy from lvvta and he said that as long as it has some form of muffling to keep the noise below legal limits, then its all good. He went on to say that the turbo will count for a muffler if it does a sufficient job of muffling throughout the rev range.

But in the end I've ended up getting a high flow resonator put in - the thing is nearly straight through and it gets rid of that 'tractor' sound and enhances that 'truck' sound.

stovanovich
Hard Yaka

Postby stovanovich » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:16 pm

Yeah that weird differences between LVVTA & VIRM requirements drive me mad!
I only found out through a friend of mine whom is the only Wof inspector in his town so gets a lot of light shone on him so knows the VIRM like breathing.
Te Rino
'92 Nissan Terrano | Intercooled TD27T | 33 x 10.5s
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42742
"Hubs In, Caps Off"

tuckertrucker
Hard Yaka

Postby tuckertrucker » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:20 am

stovanovich wrote:Yeah that weird differences between LVVTA & VIRM requirements drive me mad!
I only found out through a friend of mine whom is the only Wof inspector in his town so gets a lot of light shone on him so knows the VIRM like breathing.

poor guy must get a gutsfull!! I'd hate to be a WoF inspector

Return to “Projects / Mod's”