Yellow V8 Zuk Evolution

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Yellow V8 Zuk Evolution

Postby suzolla » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:10 pm

First a bit of History and then will update as I go.

Want to try and keep the thread reasonably clean, proper discussion is fine, just rather not have a bunch of general chit chat.

So here we go.

Decided I need a truck I could use off road trips and for some Winch challenges without to much work, ie add a winch and get in and drive, missed out on a V6 Commie Hilux with Coilovers that was in the final stages of build, would have been a good truck, ended up spotting the Yellow Zuk for sale on here, couple of phone calls and assurances that it was a good truck so decided to buy it sight unseen from Wellington.

This is how it supposedly was when I bought it, copied from TradeMe Add

Main Specs (to many to list)
1. Engin, VP SS commodore, 215 KW Cam, Lifters, Twin valve springs, HSV Chip at the time of build had New big ends, mains seals and gaskets.
2. Sump bowled with baffle plate to prevent oil starvation on the hills.
3. Turbo 400 transmission, set up to be an Manual auto (stays in gear) and controlled with a B&M quick ratchet shifter.
4. Land cruiser transfer case.
5. Front Diff, hilux 4.88 ratio with Dirty thirty chromoly CVs, Chromoly shafts, chromoly hubs, ARB air locker (locker has air leak). Airlock is run of ARB compressor in the engine bay.
6. Rear Hilus 4.88 diff, currently has an tightly shimmed LSD. Auction includes an additional diff 4.88 head with a auto installed locker installed (locker needs new pin)
7. 4 wheel disk breaks, plus rear has Fiddle breaks.
8. Suspension is 3 link rear and 4 link front and coil sprung all around.
9. 36" Simex tyers (has a puncture) on bead lock rims, rims have been flipped to make wider.
10. Rear mount radiator, with auto and manual controlled fan. (over flo bottle cap has crack). Has 20L bottle hooked up to windscreen washer.
11. Expensive bar work and harness seatbelt.

Left early Friday morning from Hamilton with the Cruiser and trailer, got to Wellington early afternoon, had a look around the truck and notice a few issues the would need sorting, loaded it up and headed back to Hamilton, got back early hours of Saturday.

Sunday 26/07/15
Unloaded the truck and had a good look over it to see what was needing to be done.
Unfortunately there was a bit more to be done than I had anticipated, but I guess that was a possibility having bought it sight unseen, luckily I am able to do any of the work myself, just take a bit of time and effort and parts I already had.
This is not meant to be a full list or a whinge, just some of the stuff that needed doing.
Right Rear wheel bearing stuffed, meaning the seal was stuffed allowing the diff oil out and water in which meant that everything inside was rusty.
Left front knuckle bearings collapsed, knuckle seals leaking, housing also had very little oil and quite alot of water so again was quite rusty inside. More to be discovered later.
Generally the rest of it was okay but in need of some maintenance.

to be continued, will take a while to catch up to where I am now

Cheers
Tim

Return to “Projects / Mod's”