My bj73 build (Nothing special)

Fez
Winch master

My bj73 build (Nothing special)

Postby Fez » Sun May 29, 2016 8:54 pm

So I wasnt really planning on buying a land cruiser never really liked the idea of a "Big" truck but when this one was offered to me after a few drinks on a 4wd trip I could really say no. beats the clapped out 84 surf I was looking at buying.

I nothing to special just a 3b+T with some 33s

Just making a built thread so I can keep track of what I have done and share the build with others.
I have big plans for the old girl, but it might take a while as saving for a house is the main priority at them moment unfortunately :P

Fez
Winch master

Re: My bj73 build (Nothing special)

Postby Fez » Sun May 29, 2016 9:04 pm

FIrst big job was the rust repair.

Window frame turned out to be worse than expected.

Luckily I manged to pick up a cheap one off trade me with a lot less rust.

I ended up sandblasting it and respraying it came out really well.

Fez
Winch master

Postby Fez » Sun May 29, 2016 9:14 pm

Was planning on building some rear draws for it at some stage but when these ones poped up on trademe for a 100 bucks I clicked buy now. figured it would cost me that in wood to build my own and would give me more time to sort out some bar work before the lift kit goes in.

Looks a big cleaner in the back now still need to swap a few thing over from the old truck into this one.

Fez
Winch master

Postby Fez » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:12 pm

Been a busy few weeks getting the old girl ready for a trip to the west coast.

Started with over heating problems so replaced water pump and pretty much everything else in the cooling system and that seemed to fix it so yay, will need a new rad some time soon.

Started playing around with the tube bender and trying to make something that resembled a bull bar.

A pretty good start not finished yet.

Turned the old roll gauge into a gauge holder for egr temp and boost gauges

Come out a lot better than I was expecting the stainless steel come up really nicely, only problems is I now want to continue the theme with the rest of the truck and that shits not cheap :P

Next up was all new tie rods to tighten the front end up for the lift and bigger tires.

Fez
Winch master

Postby Fez » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:54 pm

Lift and lockers going in.
4" lifted springs with 2" lifted shackles and a arb air locker for the rear.

Ended up changing the whole rear axle over to save time and the old axle had leaking seals so needed to be rebuilt anyway.

All install sits really high have since dropped it down 1" and it sits at a really comfortable level that I'm happy with.

letting the leaves settle in

Flexes really well for lifted springs fronts a bit stiff but i'll live. pretty happy with it not as good as leaf over but it will do for now.

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:21 am

Looking good!

Fez wrote: not as good as leaf over but it will do for now.

Dunno about that, every 70 series I've seen with a spring over axle job looks damn tippy.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

passengerpete
Hard Yaka

Postby passengerpete » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:29 pm

nice wee bus fes. the drivers door looks nice and straight in that pic :D

snotgoblin
Hard Yaka

Postby snotgoblin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:08 pm

Looking sharp... I did shiver when I saw the forklift holding it up for the new springs and lockers going in.

I have a BJ74 with a spring over. Plenty flexy...

But is has longer 60 series leaves on the back and a modified spring pack in the front so the springs are essentially flat and not as parabolic..

Fez
Winch master

Postby Fez » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Clint wrote:Looking good!

Fez wrote: not as good as leaf over but it will do for now.

Dunno about that, every 70 series I've seen with a spring over axle job looks damn tippy.

Cheers
Clint

I will agree with you on that one, A lot of the leaf over trucks out there are pretty shoddy and done just to get big lift. By remove a few leafs from the pack It shouldn't sit much higher than it does at the moment. Also going to change it to 60 series axles at the same time so that will give me a wider wheel base and hopefully less likely to end up on its side.

Fez
Winch master

Postby Fez » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:18 pm

snotgoblin wrote:Looking sharp... I did shiver when I saw the forklift holding it up for the new springs and lockers going in.

I have a BJ74 with a spring over. Plenty flexy...

But is has longer 60 series leaves on the back and a modified spring pack in the front so the springs are essentially flat and not as parabolic..

Haha we did have tires and stuff under there while working on it so if it did fall it we wouldn't end up like road kill but we had to move them to slide the old axle out.

Whats the up side to 60 series leafs in the rear?

Fez
Winch master

Postby Fez » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:21 pm

passengerpete wrote:nice wee bus fes. the drivers door looks nice and straight in that pic :D

At least I can keep my "Bus" on the track pete :P
As the guy I brought it off said "Every dent has a story"

snotgoblin
Hard Yaka

Postby snotgoblin » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:02 pm

60 leaves in the rear - longer, flatter springs. Seems to have more down travel than up travel.

Also extended the bump stops and added and anti-tramp bar to stop the spring wrap.

Fez
Winch master

Postby Fez » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:35 pm

So I feel like the cruiser hasn't really changed much lately but I guess it has. whats the old saying two steps back one step forward?

The pto was removed and replaced with a super winch. meaning I rebuilt the front bar, meaning I had to redo the side bars. so I thought stuff it ill redo them all so far Ive only finished the front bar and even thats not done.

Finally got around to changing the air con pump over to one without stuff bearings so now my aircon air compressor works.
Front axle has been fully rebuilt and the rocker cover gasket replaced in hope of stopping oil leaks but it hasn't helps so that ones back to the drawing board.

after one of my wheels fulling off in front of 3 uniformed police officers I deiced it was a good time to upgrade the breaks so new rotors and a 80 serires break booster have been installed. still working out a few bugs with this set up.

(Random photo from the ross trip)
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/xyixa"><a href="//imgur.com/xyixa"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Brake booster upgrade

Crate day

Over sized rock sliders the plan is for them to stick out 100mm out past the doors to attempt to protect the side of the truck.

More rust repairs...

Return to “Projects / Mod's”