Body lift Safari and flares

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Body lift Safari and flares

Postby MihiT » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:42 pm

So today I failed WOF on a few things, one of which was "tread beyond guards" - worse there's actually an imbalance left-right: the tyres are a good 5/8ths further out on the driver's side.

So i need to add some flares,I may end up getting the front guards rolled but the rear is a custom tray, so it will be strips cut off the 44gal and tec screws to get the wof, then off again!

Also needing to deal with (presumably) the body mounts to get it centered, and since I'm going 33s soon, I may as well add a bit of lift, plus undoubtedly the OEM mounts have crushed down.

There's a material I hear of as "self lubricating nylon" - is this the good stuff? (and what is it properly called, and dous anyone in a workshop have a bar in the scrap bin for me) would it not be too rigid and give a stupid-harsh ride?

The point of this thread:
body mount materials?
bright ideas on flares, either quick detachable, or permanent and styley?
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Re: Body lift Safari and flares

Postby MihiT » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:50 pm

OR do I do the hoary and put coil spacers all round?

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:28 pm

MihiT wrote: tec screws to get the wof, then off again!

MihiT wrote: flares quick detachable,

just remember for insurance vehicle needs to be in a wofable standard, doesn't seem like much, but you don't want to give them a chance to say 'NO'. :(
same with people putting small wheels on for wof then putting big wheels back on after wof. claim void sorry, its happened before :twisted:

MihiT wrote:bright ideas on flares permanent and styley?

I got some rubber/bendy plastic round buckets from the warehouse. (like horse feed buckets) cut to fit. solid enough to hold shape but bendy enough to bend if you rub against something. cost stuff all too. not on my truck yet but should still look ok when are. :)
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Postby Pj_Marsh » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:42 pm

I made up some flares for my truck the other day, got a reel of 75mm black garden edging from Bunnings. Drilled and pop riveted into the underside of the guards and it passed a wof no problem. Total cost was around $30 with rivets. Looks ok and is pretty solid. Cuts easily with a panel saw or hacksaw. Not as flexible as i'd like but to be honest it doesn't really spend any time brushing up against banks or trees.

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:27 pm

Wheels further out one side than the other will be due to panhard rods with lifted springs - you need to get adjustable panhard rods. It's not a body mount problem

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:40 pm

muddy wrote:Wheels further out one side than the other will be due to panhard rods with lifted springs - you need to get adjustable panhard rods. It's not a body mount problem

I did wonder that, but the springs I put in should have been standard height. I did ponder just upgrading to HD and adjustable pannies. This thing's keeping me damn poor!

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:43 pm

mudsurfv6 wrote:
MihiT wrote: tec screws to get the wof, then off again!

MihiT wrote: flares quick detachable,

just remember for insurance vehicle needs to be in a wofable standard, doesn't seem like much, but you don't want to give them a chance to say 'NO'. :(
same with people putting small wheels on for wof then putting big wheels back on after wof. claim void sorry, its happened before :twisted:

MihiT wrote:bright ideas on flares permanent and styley?

I got some rubber/bendy plastic round buckets from the warehouse. (like horse feed buckets) cut to fit. solid enough to hold shape but bendy enough to bend if you rub against something. cost stuff all too. not on my truck yet but should still look ok when are. :)

The buckets I'm picturing are pink and rubbery, I suppose it depends on your definition of "styley" :p
Last edited by MihiT on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Pj_Marsh wrote:I made up some flares for my truck the other day, got a reel of 75mm black garden edging from Bunnings. Drilled and pop riveted into the underside of the guards and it passed a wof no problem. Total cost was around $30 with rivets. Looks ok and is pretty solid. Cuts easily with a panel saw or hacksaw. Not as flexible as i'd like but to be honest it doesn't really spend any time brushing up against banks or trees.

I'm not sure about garden edging, but that has bought to mind DPC, though whether that's rigid enough to satisfy Mr Nitpick.

I wonder if ag-bars count or whether it has to be a mud guard arrangement

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:00 pm

MihiT wrote:The buckets I'm picturing are pink and rubbery, I suppose it depends on your definition of "styley" :p

I got black ones, and rigid rubber. :)

MihiT wrote: wonder if ag-bars count or whether it has to be a mud guard arrangement

if your meaning bar work above wheel between front bar & running board/sliders, then I have had that on vehicles and as long as covers tyre looking down and is reasonably close to guard has always passed a cert/wof.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:35 pm

I got failed on cert for a small gap between bar work and wheel arches so spouse depends on wof/cert guy i
It's does help keep your truck clean which is a bonus
I used garden edging aswell,good tin snips does a nice job cutting it

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:20 pm

Pj_Marsh wrote:I made up some flares for my truck the other day, got a reel of 75mm black garden edging from Bunnings. Drilled and pop riveted into the underside of the guards and it passed a wof no problem. Total cost was around $30 with rivets. Looks ok and is pretty solid. Cuts easily with a panel saw or hacksaw. Not as flexible as i'd like but to be honest it doesn't really spend any time brushing up against banks or trees.

Chocolate fish for this guy!

Just bought myself a roll and fitted +35mm gourds all around. I had to drill the frame of the tray but used the existing quarter-liner screws and fixings for the front. I will post pictures sometime.

Got the 2000w hair dryer on it and the edging forms to shape quite well, I've also learned that my LH panel is f*cked! bent well out of shape.
Ag bars coming up!

Return to “Projects / Mod's”