paj1 build up

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

paj1 build up

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:56 pm

So i brought this for 1500 with a blown head gasket......(surprise surprise)

A 1995 3l v6 field master exceed with super select and rear diff lock after going for a ride in goldies work hack at costa and seeing how easy it roamed over all the mud and terrain even showing up some of the most well eqipped and powerful comp trucks that were there the last weekend before it was sold.

I had owned one before when i was younger and had been impressed with it's offroad ability even when in standard form but the engine was a let down hence why i had stayed away from them for so long.

But now with the ability and finances to be able to deal with said engines i brought 3 of them ...(just in case)

but as fate would have it after looking over them and the ole man claiming the Gen 1 and my sisters bighorn shitting it self and selling her the 3rd I had chosen the most unreliable one to keep and modifiy.....

So the following is an evoloution of a pajero into an offroad tourer / family weekender.

enjoy.
Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: paj1 build up

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:09 pm

first things first. thousand islands dressing anyone?

So ya learn something new every day ....and found out the 1995 was the change over year from the 3litre to the 3.5 and from august of that year all pajero's were fitted with body mounts to clear the bigger engine and trans regardless of whether it was eqipped with the earlier 6g72 sohc motor.

I couldn't under stand why guys on facebook were asking about lifting them or ball joint flipping the front to clear 33' tires when i had brought Mattman's old hankooks and rims which fitted striaght on.
Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:23 pm

Supercheap winches.

A bit off topic but for the DIY weekend 4wd that wont see too much serious stuff(spoke too soon) any winch is better then no winch.

it took five years of hard yacka offroading to kill the 400 dollar ridge ryder but it had served its purpose and if tracks like porter's and thompsons were to be challenged it was time to upgrade.

I scored this 12500 warn off a wreck. it was brand new but the truck had been in an road accident and the mounting bolts had stripped the threads inside the housings when it was torn from the bullbar, so i got it for free, but it was as is where is and apart from that has been a solid performer so far.

An afternoon with the tap and die set and some slightly larger bolts, abit of massaging of the front radiator support and squeesed it in between the rails.

it has a series wound motor and a gearbox on it that would rival some small japanese cars.
Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Ford falcon fan mod

I could spend all day at pick apart but unfortunatly life gets in the way occasionally.

i suspect part of the reason she spat the gaskets is down to the head design and the visous fan not operating as it should.

so out with that and in with a set of $40 electric fans and a $28 thermostatic switch from a AUII falcon.

fits hard up against the chassi rail on the left side and had to notch the bottom right corner to clear the power steering box and blank
off about two inches of over width fan shroud above said power steer box. havent got a temp gauge on it yet but the fans click on at half on the factory gauge and turn off at just over a third.

whilst on the subject of cooling the trans cooler wasn't cutting it either so since the A/C was degassed i flushed out the A/C rad and plumbed the trans cooler lines into that, started it up and kept adding trans fluid till she came up on the dipstick again...took another two litres of fluid.
Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:44 pm

C.P.R

Another common mod to do to the 6g72 is the throttle body swap from the later 3.5 dohc engine.
It's 15mm bigger in diameter and requires an afternoon to make it all fit.

i made the Aux air control valve obsolete in favour of the old idle adjustment screw and rewired the AAC valve to operate when the winch is winding in to pick up the revs/allternator charge.... and when the A/C pump(now my on board air compressor) is running wil take the rpms from 900 to 1300.

I used the aac valve from the 6g72 as it was a 2 wire voltage solenoid as apposed to the 6g74's 6 wire one.

basically strip the 6g74 throttle body as its fly by wire...the only thing to keep is the aluminium casting itself and the butterfly plate.
swap everything else over from the 6g72 throttle body.
Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:48 pm

On board air

the factory electric compressor for the rear difflock was iffy at best so binned that in favour of a super cheap compressor to a nine litre tank in the back. from that runs a small reg to the diff solenoid as the paj difflock runs on low pressure.

the a/c pump is also plumbed to the tank at the back so can have both compressors running or the singlely if one fails etc.

just fits in the cubbyhole under the seat if ya remove the base plate and the plastic cover off the top
Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:59 pm

Snorkel kit

STAparts $175.00 with stainless fittings.

only one bolt hole in the guard was incorrect between the template and the actual snorkel mounting points and that is the top one of the
two that bolt through the outer guard directly above the round indicator on the guard.

apart from that you'll need a 85mm hole saw and the aluminium adaptor plate from snorkel to airbox requires the two holes to be drill and tapped with M6x1.0mm taps. but i suspect they dont do this bit from factory to allow margin for error when installing otherwise you'd have to have it absolutely perfect.

Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

cornflake
Hard Yaka

Postby cornflake » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:04 pm

looks good them factory fans are crap as i got suby ones going in my l200

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:54 pm

2" body lift went in today.... Took about 4 hours. Pajeros are easy. Undo bracket holding fuel hose to chassis lift carpet and pull rubber bungs. Spread the coiled front brake lines a bit, loosen off one side , undo th other side completely..... Jack it up slide blocks in, new bolts in. Let down tighten one at each end, do other side then tighten them all down. Only the bull bar and rear bumper to do tomorrow.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:10 pm

Looking good, - Im guessing 35s on the list with body lift?
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:04 pm

NJV6 wrote:Looking good, - Im guessing 35s on the list with body lift?

Nah I'm to ruthless to run 35's keep snapping cv's on my old truck. Lol.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Plus these 33" silvys aren't even a week old yet. Lol

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Remounted the front bar today. Some 65x65 box and basically extended up the front mounts of the chassis and left the winch plate and fairlead down low.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:06 pm

Rock sliders done. Went with the crush tube method using the existing 32mm holes in the outside wall of the frame and drilled through with a 13mm bit for bolts to go right through with a large square flat washer on inside wall

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:41 pm

got bored on watangi day so built a new bar.
Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Latest news "morrinsville dairy shed has lots of galvanised pipe removed by persons unknown..."
and in unrelated stories, Bud has a new winch bar! :)
Good work. Xrox would charge you $1500 for that bar.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:36 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:Latest news "morrinsville dairy shed has lots of galvanised pipe removed by persons unknown..."
and in unrelated stories, Bud has a new winch bar! :)
Good work. Xrox would charge you $1500 for that bar.

What dairy shed? 8)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Been a while, few little things goin on.

Cut some 'oles in the bonnet
Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

fh2014
Hard Yaka

Postby fh2014 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Looking zombie prepped i like it keep up the good work

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Looks good, are they to let the heat out of the engine bay?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:30 pm

dvk-kp wrote:Looks good, are they to let the heat out of the engine bay?

Yep. I converted the a/c radiator into a trans cooler which had a bit of a consequence on the actual radiators ability to transfer heat so tends to get a little bit warm. Bit the trade off is worth it as the trans temp rarely hits 100 degrees

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:44 pm

That's cool, obviously not to concerned about water dumping in over the engine? Well sealed dizzy :D really like how that looks, probly going to copy! :lol:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:21 pm

dvk-kp wrote:That's cool, obviously not to concerned about water dumping in over the engine? Well sealed dizzy :D really like how that looks, probly going to copy! :lol:

Can of aerosol tire shine mate. Waterproofs and stops the mud sticking come time to water blast.
This weeks top tip. :mrgreen:

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:24 pm

F.Y.I.

There ate three depressions across the bonnet subframe. They are designed to fold the bonnet in half in the event of a head on collision so the bonnet doesn't get shoved through the windscreen. Make sure where you cut is either in front or behind these depressions or it will be a WOF fail

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Oh good tip, I use crc soft seal and it works good.

Cheers for that. Will remember that when I mark it out

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:51 am

well, hopefully images are back up after changing them all from photofucket.

in other news

have acquired a complete new powerhouse for under the bonnet, from a ralliart non GDI Diamante.
Will have forward facing plenuim the works.

and the reason for the forward facing plenum ....boost.

converting this holset with a A/R of 2.0 into a pro charger.
photo doesnt do it justice, the intake is 110 mm and the outlet is 75mm, :mrgreen:

should be fun.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:22 am

Cool. What computer do you plan to run?

And were you not going to sell the vehicle?
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:16 pm

NJV6 wrote:Cool. What computer do you plan to run?

And were you not going to sell the vehicle?

Had quite a bit of interest even one offer above asking but there isn't anything out there at the mo that peaked my interest and not really fussed about dealing with the likes of safari with there systemic rust issues and most of them have been raped or wound back by now. So decided to go the other route, and have a bit of fun with this one.
As for the ECU Its all from Mitzi's ralliart division so the is plan to run it stock and just feed of 4-5 psi on standard N/A compression along side a aftermarket rising rate fuel reg,
There is a fair bit of work to do before that thou as new headers have to be made to suit the north south configuration, battery relocation (again) different radiator as current top outlet will be in the way of throttle body intake , I want to put a 70mm riser between the valley cover and plenum chamber so I don't have to remove intake/ plenum to change spark plugs on left hand bank relocate the alternator too and center out of the mud, power steer bracket as sohc one won't work on dohc configuration, and generally make things easy to work on in the bush.

dvk-kp
Hard Yaka

Postby dvk-kp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:28 pm

This going to be interesting... is this motor mivec?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:45 pm

dvk-kp wrote:This going to be interesting... is this motor mivec?

Nope, just a good ole 3.5 four cam

Return to “Projects / Mod's”