So Stupid I bought Volvo 2

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

So Stupid I bought Volvo 2

Postby geckoadventure » Tue May 09, 2017 12:28 pm

2 September 2016

Ok so while rebuilding the Volvo I got the idea to restore another and do it faster this time and do the work myself where posible.

Volvo's here for sale are few and far between.

Suddenly we had one for $70,000rm(15,000EU) "restored" looked terrible. Then one popped up for 16,000rm (3,000EU) I rung and got an appointment. To my surprise when I viewed it he had turned down offers for the truck as people only wanted the axles.

I made an offer showed him pics of Volvo 1 and he said SOLD. So this is the story of a secret build (my wife has no idea) until I finish it.

It will not be a expedition truck.

Pickup condition

It's ROUGH I know the tourist resort it ran out of and saw it being abused never thinking I would ever own it.

Right rear cross member is ripped of the chassis. Left side is bent.

It seats 12 people FRU policeman in full riot gear lol!

It's nice side

The wheels turn

Looks better in the setting sun in my friends private ship salvage workshop or does it?

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Re: So Stupid I bought Volvo 2

Postby geckoadventure » Tue May 09, 2017 12:29 pm

21 September 2016

First nights work on it remove the ugly front winch mount

Finished looks nicer already

Removed the passenger seat and cleanup up. The rust becomes apparent.

The pile of scrap metal starts to grow. I'm sure they will make a compact Ford out of this soon.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Tue May 09, 2017 12:30 pm

16 October 2016

Two of us attack the rear tray object is total removal of it over the coming days

3 hours later and 38 cutting wheels are consumed but the sides are removed.

The pile of scrap gets bigger

Peter runs around and takes pics of the inside for me.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Tue May 09, 2017 12:32 pm

1 December 2016

Had some free time tonight so decided to try and remove the flat tire and starrt removing the wiring loom or do the rollcage.

So first task get this flat tyyre off finally. Heat 3 minutes one side of the nut and then about 60 seconds
on the other whack the breaker bar with the 4lb HAMMER a couple of times and hey presto I had a result.

I decided it was late so started on the rollcage template and see how the sketch looks like in full size. I will finish it all off on Saturday so far it's looking good.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Tue May 09, 2017 12:33 pm

28 April 2017

The Volvo 2 has a new name "BADASS".

The tow truck picked it up from the current secret location.

Then it was ready to transport to the next stage of it's transformation into BADASS.

Then it arrived at the panel shop. So shocked they were they locked the doors lol.

Daylight inspection shows the damage.

Right rear cross member missing. Middle Bent from a bad recovery the wire and the left side also BENT. It

will be cut off and replaced by me later at the RACE shop.

The inside is a mess floors non existant.

Front is pretty bashed up as is the top of the cabin.

However, Rahmat says all fixable and I'm welcome to come down when they start and work on the truck also.

It's now in the queue in the workshop Stage 2 will commence when they finish the current jaloppies,

Including a 1968 mustang and a 1950's chevy.
Last edited by geckoadventure on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:18 pm

Are you just testing to see who reads this :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=46761&p=462031#p462031
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed May 10, 2017 1:45 pm

:D
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:43 am

12 June 201

Great news the panel shop rung me requesting permission to replace interior panels in Volvo 2 they have commenced work on it.

I will get pics when I can. Maybe this saturday.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:11 am

7 September 2017

They asked me to go down visit Volvo 2 as they had made progress and cabin not long from being separated from chassis.

Took them lunch also. THis is the first view I got neat Rhamat and crew working on it.

Bracing on the inside some work had been done on the front sides to pull the panels out to make them all flush again.

The rear view nothing to see here.

Inside view then the cheeky workshop cat decided I had food and started to investigate next time I will take him food. YUp the floor is rotten and are some of the interior panels.

Rahmat starts dreaming when its all finished I can go for a ride in it - maybe - lol

Yup its uite messy inside

Drivers floor is non existant. I have given them a plan to follow to make it easy to restore.

I like it.

Now the plan.

Next week late the cabin comes off. I take the chasssis to the workshop and we start work on the rollcage and the new rear tray. Will make a decision in the engine and gearbox. Once all done then the suspension and be done and by that time the cabin should be ready to be reinstalled (XMAS) just like a real car manufacturing production line lol.

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:09 am

Awesome!!!

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:45 am

This looks like it could become as big a project as the first one

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:39 pm

9 September 2017

So Saturday visit to Volvo 2. Clean the truck then see what else can be done. Clean out all the putty from the cabin join and see all the rust in the joint area sigh such a negelected Volvo. I remove the side windows and finally the cabin strip is completed.

Out comes the pressure washer and it just blasts holes in the rust in the cabin. The chassis is fine and all the years of mud get washed off. No other issues with the chassis found apart from the rear cross member issue.

OMG the pressure washer just disintergrated the floor.

So after the wash we decide to see how bad the rsut is and any repairs have been done. We heat the paint and peel off sections to see where the damage is we find a TREE hit with a poor repair above and below the grill resulting in rust underneath which means bith sections need to be replaced. The quality of the old repair work is well shonkey to say the least.

End of the day its hometime all I have is a pile of peeled off bodyfiller and paint on the floor and the tar seal from the inner floor with about 30% left still to stripp out.

From here on its all posative as they can finally start the rust removal surgery.

Went and called in at the other workshop had dinner with the them and they will store the VOlvo chassis in the new paint shop until their workshop relocastion is completed. Anyway we have a plan we can execute.

Oh the workshop kitty relaxing

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:04 am

16 September 2017

Visit to Volvo 2 cabin workshop

First the cheeky workshop cat.

They have done tonnes of work stripping the paint off with a heat gun looking for holes and repairs etc.

The rear looks ok apart from the rear panel it has a few bad spots.

Then I started on the cabin template from plywood/ Next weekend will finish the front side so we can build the roll cage while the cabin gets surgery.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:58 pm

21 October 2017

The Cabin and chassis have been separated after some difficulties with pulling the steering wheel off.

The chassis is ready to go to the rollcage workshop.

Saturday morning they have stripped the roof with a heatgun no sign of holrs or rust. Sandblasting is next.

The tow truck eventually arrives and is loaded up.

Then it's dropped in to its new home. It will have a PINZ for a roommate.

Work starts next week on the rollcage after a design discussion.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:35 am

Saturday 11 November 2017

After working till 2am for the Single day sales I was in no shape to go to IPOH 190k away so 1pm I'm in Volvo 2 workshop some 15 mins from home.

First pics of Volvo 2's stable mates one immacutlately restored PINZ and

the other almost finished its transformation to covered long distance touring wagon.

The puppy is really happy to see me.

We mount the wooden cabin template raised 4" and then I start cutting of the rear bent up cross member. hours later its all made mincemeat with the 7" angle grinder and the little 4" grinder and it's ready for us to get the new one cut.

The truck is ready to go. New engine and gearbox has been ordered from the wreckers lets see if they can deliver a 3.0 ISUZU diesel and auto gearbox from a DMAX.

Front view of the cabin.

The wooden cabin gave us an idea and now the rear will have two parts. One will be old school wooden tray and sizes (for dressage) all removeable and the other will be alloy (for COMP and hooning) .

More progress pics as we progress.

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:00 pm

you going 4jj1 isuzu or a 4jh1 non commonrail?

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:59 pm

Cameron wrote:you going 4jj1 isuzu or a 4jh1 non commonrail?

The 4jh1 if I can get one. Depends what the wreckers have in stock.

Many hot up mods available from Thailand

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:10 am

23 November 2017

Work on VOlvo 2 continues. The steel for the rollcage is being ordered.

The engine and gearbox is to be lifted out.

Even better news is I had little choices for engine and gearbox combo's.

I cannot obtain and ISUZU engine and gearbox so went the other extreme since I hate the remaining alternatve of Mitsubishi engine/gearbox or toyota 1KZ/auto.

A 2JZ Toyota Supra VVTI 1/2 cut has been obtained and will be mated to a 4x4 auto gearbox.

Then it's going to a wireman to recover the loom and give me a turnkey engine and gearbox.

A lot of the other parts from the Supra can be used - DASH etc Radiator and all the overflow bottles and the headlights and indicators etc.

With 280HP stock its going to be quite fast. A simple few changes and I have 320+ lol.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:41 pm

2 January 2018

Volvo 2 is in 3 workshops.
Chassis in a shop near my office. Where rollcage and engine will be fitted.
Cabin in another workshop 10k from work - progress reports are not coming in neither are pictures - not happy. I am hearing from other customers from this shop they are really unhappy and just want a decent days woirk from this shop and it not be closed each time they turn up for work review and unasnwered phone calls.
Engine and gearbox and portals are taken to a 3rd shop 30k away where he is a trusted mechanic to do what I need.

Work on Volvo 2 continues. After work I drop round to Volvo 2 workshop since it's 10 mins away from work and on the way home.

Had the 2JZ-GTE engine and gearbox in the Isuzu.

So we jacked up the Volvo onto it's new stands. Started pulling the Vovlo axles off. They do not get the last of off till next day as the broke 2 bars and went through

2 bottles of gas heating up the wheel nuts.

The engine was unloaded using the car hoist. I will collect the portals next week to take to the other workshop to get converted to Totota Discs and all new bearings etc.

We are waiting for the new bending machine to arrive from the good old USA before the rollcage bending can start.

The puppy decided he should help out.

The 2JZ is to be converted to single turbo and a general cleaup to make it a lot slimmer and less chances of hoses splitting etc. Currently it only has 1.5CM to fit inside the cabin tunnel.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:01 pm

:) Still reading...
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:12 pm

This is gonna be pretty hilarious with a jz!

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Cameron wrote:This is gonna be pretty hilarious with a jz!

Especially when I say goodbye to one of the locals driving a porsche off from the traffic lights lol.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:16 pm

2 February 2018

The engine and gearbox is out now that they have a portable engine hoist in the workshop and is all leveld out on the workshop floor.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:17 pm

9 February 2018

Info for all followers:
1. The cabin is in a workshop 13k south of my office
2. The chassis is in a secret workshop (hidden behind a 12 foot high fence) 5k from my office and is on the way home lol. Its a great place to drop in at 7pm on way home from work and see all the PINZGAUERS and my VOlvo in there.
3. The Engine/gearbox/Axle conversion and restoration work etc is all done in a my long time 4x4 Toyota professors workshop 30k north of my home

Got this picture of the Volvo from the Cabin shop after much hounding as the shop was always closed and they did not answer calls etc for progress. They have not made much progress.

I called into the shop earlier that day and got the myanmar worker who speaks little english. I saw little progress.

They rung me and said they wanted another 7 months to finish the cabin. I told them they have 2. What they don't know is if I don't see progress in the next month im going to get it myself and do the work in the secret workshop. I hvae indicated to them I want to see progress I cannot wait.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:18 pm

11 February 2018

Made this template while in IPOH for the door frames as the cabin shop indicated they having trouble with getting it lined up correctly.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:18 pm

15 February 2018

Unbelieveable Andrew managed to get a auto tranny workshop on CNY eve to come and join the autogearbox to the engine.

A frame is now being build above the Volvo 2 chassis to hang the engine and gearbox from so they can lower it slowly and correctly into it's correct alignment.

The rollcage bender is arriving from USA in coming weeks but nothing will be done until the cabin is returned. However, the engine and gearbox will be fitted and got running in the meantime.

Meantime same day while I was standing in the secret workshop I got the bad call from the Toyota Professor. The AXLES are bad. Chipped crown and pinions. Smashed locker mechanisms and one ruined HUB. All can be repaired with MONEY please send lol. The DISC conversion has been done and is slowly being assembled onto the axles.
Last edited by geckoadventure on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 am

AWESOME!

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:35 pm

17 March 2018

Big day I'm officially grounded for a 7 days with my heart playing up. Hence no visit to work on Volvo 1. I decided it was Volvo 2 day instead so I got a friendly chauffuer and we trooped out to collect the portals after a hearty breakfast which are now converted to run Toyota discs oh and the bill crikey that also caused more heart issues.

First a replacement portal was obtained for this welded up missing pair of teeth. I also know a machine shop 190k from here which can produce these so I will make trip to them to see their costs etc.

Then the broken locker was replaced this one is only good to recycle into a complete Mazda car.

Then we noticed the twisted axle so thats now being replaced if we can find a part here.

Then we loaded up the newly converted portals and trooped off for lunch with a well earned beer and a pub meal.

Then it was off to the cabin shop and we inspected the cabin - little progress has been made apart from the cabin being split into 2 but it was back together again with 2 bolts holding the cabin together. Progress will accerate this week with 2 other car body's being removed from the shop today. No pics from here since it looks same as last visit. Yes I'm a little frustrated but progress is moving forward.

Then it was off to the Chassis workshop and the portals were put into storage and we discussed the engine/gearbox being dropped onto the chassis. It is expected to be completed this coming Friday along with the water tank for Volvo 1.

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:07 pm

Proper job.

geckoadventure
Hard Yaka

Postby geckoadventure » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:25 am

How wrong could I be, since my last visit to the cabin workshop they have not answered the phone nor have they been open when I have popped by for a visit.

Others have also been trying to visit their vehicles and also getting the same results.

Needless to say i'm getting rather pissed. it costs quite a bit of loot to go through the road tolls to visit the cabin shop and it turns out its a 1 hour round trip for the 26k to this workshop.

We may have access to borrow a cabin from another workshop so we can get it down to the chassis workshop to get the rollcage built started. Will find out after Sunday when the owner of this spare cabin is back.

Meantime I am getting the new half shaft delivered and about to order new high ratio crown and pinions. I have a set of new Alloy toyota PCD rims and ordered new tires so we can move the chassis around soon. I have to be able to move it as 25 cars are turning up to this workshop for a movie shoot in the coming weeks and the 10 crash cars.

Return to “Projects / Mod's”