"The Big Truck" - C79's TD5 Disco II Build Thread

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

"The Big Truck" - C79's TD5 Disco II Build Thread

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:51 pm

Intro: The new rig!

Before you (maybe) read this essay, here's a photo of the new rig!

Plans change. It's crazy to think that a couple months ago if you'd told me I was going to own a TD5 Disco within a few weeks of my birthday, I'd have laughed.At the time, I was hard out prepping 'Lando' for the Westport teams event, however the week before I cooked the auto in it. After missing the event (eek) I had enough time to actually slow down from the frantic rush of pouring money at the truck and have a good ol' think. Looking thorugh the statements, I spent huge money (for a 17 year old) on jobs I could have done myself, but didn't, because I was trying to meet a deadline. After re-evaluating the build, I decided 'Lando' had gone down a different path to where I'd initially wanted it. My 'club truck that was still daily-drivable that could do the odd mud plug' had headed to be a Mainland Challenge truck, and that was it. With the price of petrol going silly, there was no chance of me ever driving it over to the coast for a weekend away, like I had planned. There would be no trips up to the high country in a truck which had such terrible fuel economy, getting just over 300km before the fuel light came on (with a 93L tank). You can see the problem!

At the time, I had started driving another Disco 1 V8 , which got the name, "The Blue One." It was nothing fancy, a $1100 Trade Me purchase which had a 2" lift on. Some 31s, tow hooks, snorkel and waterproofing using irrigation hose and ice cream containers, I had myself the truck which at this current moment in time, I'd call my favourite. Despite it having smaller tyres, no lockers or barwork, no HD parts at all and a starter motor that sometimes worked, it's the truck I will look back on as the vehicle which really got me offroading. Yes, I bought 'Lando' at 14, and go my first taste of offroading with it. Yes, I had 'The Zook" beforehand as well, which I learnt a bit in, but 'The Blue One' is the truck which I've really had adventures in, really learnt to drive in, pick lines in and gained that valuable seat time. It's taken me all over the South Island and been the truck which has introduced many of my friends to the offroading scene... looking back at old videos I can see my driving has come so far since starting driving it, and it's sure surprised people (including me!) as to where it will go and how basic a build it is. But again, the fuel bills kept on coming in...

Few shots of 'The Blue One' proving you don't need an expensive truck:

Loch Katrine:

Dobson Valley:

Hurunui:

So around a month ago, I started looking at diesels... the TDI D1s were in budget, but for me, the D2 has long been the truck I've wanted. And with their TD5 motor and bigger boot (what I need when taking a bunch of people away in the mountains), I decided to hold tight and wait for one to come along...

And here it is

It's a 2001 Discovery 2 TD5 S with a whole bunch of kms on the clock, but most the 'typical' issues sorted. It's already coil spring converted but is basically bone stock apart from that.

So with this truck, I want to do things differently. 'The Blue One,' taught me lots, that you don't need a silly expensive truck with lockers and this and that etc. that the internet tells you that you need. I now believe the best way to find out what you need is by getting out and using what you have got. Many things from 'Lando' I intend to copy, however almost every mod I intend to improve on, whether being a better design, or value for money. I hope to go a little bit outside the box with this one too, trying out things like ATBs to complement the Traction Control (don't hate, its awesome - this system doesn't cut power :twisted: ) and some fancy turbo set up down the line.

The goal with this truck is to get me back out there, doing what I initially wanted with 'Lando,' but in a vehicle I can afford to use. I want a truck that I can comfortably take away into the high country, can daily drive, and compete in occasionally, however the latter will not be (or become) the main focus!

I have big plans but for the start I want to sort...
-CDL for the T/Case
-Tow Hooks
-Snorkel
-Redo the interior (should be awesome!)
-Exhaust (has a broken baffle)
-Some more power too!
-Also some underbody protection as that's what's limited me previously

Later the big mods will come but to begin with, it's about getting it club ready so I can get more seat time.

Unfortunately the progress of the build will be slow, as almost all the money I had was either spent trying to get 'Lando' ready for Westport and then buying this, not to mention I've learnt from owning 'The Blue One' that seat time is the best thing to make your truck go places, so I imagine that most money spent on this truck will be diesel in the tank! If anyone wants to by either (or both!) of the V8's, they are up for sale... PM me :wink:

One last thing I should explain is the name, 'The Big Truck.' Looking at it, it is anything but 'big,' however that is the name Mum gave it, named after a red truck she had back on the farm, and I guess it's just kind of stuck!

And here's a photo that I'll keep up to date of where the truck is at:

Anyways, that turned into a bit of a story, but stay tuned for this build, should be sweet!
Cheers guys
Last edited by Crawlerer79 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The Big Truck' - 2001 TD5 Disco II
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco
'The Caramel Trophy Truck" - 1990 Disco Ex-Camel Trophy (?)

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Re: "The Big Truck" - C79's TD5 Disco II Build Thread

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:53 pm

Photos:

I will stick any absolute banger photos here, just a small range as I take them so you can see the development of the truck and the places I take it

Stay tuned!
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Videos: Build Process

I have recorded video of this already and intent to continue to do so. I will post the build vlogs here
Last edited by Crawlerer79 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 pm

Videos: Out there using it!

I have recorded video of this already and intent to continue to do so. I will post the vlogs of it being used for what it's built for here
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

aroma
Hard Yaka

Postby aroma » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Will be watching with intrest, getting back to basic's and using them is what it's all about.
would be interested in the fuel bill and RUC compared to your petrol use.

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:58 pm

aroma wrote:Will be watching with intrest, getting back to basic's and using them is what it's all about.

Thanks! Yea back to basic is a great way of putting it, just out there doing it!
And yea I'll be interested to see how much I save, going off what Dad spends in his 300TDI I'm hoping to get about 50% savings with the change.
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 am

awesome mate!

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Crawlerer79 wrote:
aroma wrote:Will be watching with intrest, getting back to basic's and using them is what it's all about.

Thanks! Yea back to basic is a great way of putting it, just out there doing it!
And yea I'll be interested to see how much I save, going off what Dad spends in his 300TDI I'm hoping to get about 50% savings with the change.

I had a V8 90 and a TD5 90 in the UK, the cost difference was massive! fortunately both work trucks.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

1bad4x
Hard Yaka

Postby 1bad4x » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Do Love Disco's I really enjoyed mine. Sounds like your already onto it with experience from your other. but anything from my build that may help. happy to discuss & try to remember what, how & where...

http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7860&hilit=project+disco%21%21

Unfortunately most of the pic's are in photobucket so dont show up. again let me know if there is any you want & I can post them up for you.

will be watching the build..
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Crawlerer79
Hard Yaka

Postby Crawlerer79 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:27 pm

1bad4x wrote:Do Love Disco's I really enjoyed mine. Sounds like your already onto it with experience from your other. but anything from my build that may help. happy to discuss & try to remember what, how & where...

http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7860&hilit=project+disco%21%21

Unfortunately most of the pic's are in photobucket so dont show up. again let me know if there is any you want & I can post them up for you.

will be watching the build..

Thanks for that, have already read your thread multiple times :D , was a really nice build!
Yep, this is Disco number 4 of mine and number 6 for our family... we've got it bad haha. The D2 is a very nicely built truck, but a lot of small differences from the D1. All the electrics are something for new for me but certainly enjoying it as a road vehicle right now. Took it for one short drive in the Selwyn River, and love the traction control (so far I've only tested it in wet muddy ruts and it worked great!).

Also guys, the winch for Lando (after much fluffing around) arrived yesterday... Going on The Big Truck now :twisted:
'Lando' - 1994 V8 Disco

Return to “Projects / Mod's”