Madaz's V8 lux

Big
Hard Yaka

Re: Madaz's V8 lux

Postby Big » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 am

Silly question.. but..... why didnt you just get a set of thicker head gaskets.. I think Comet makes some.. then blah blah it..together with the good bits and from what i have read they go pretty good.. :wink:

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:00 am

Big wrote:Silly question.. but..... why didnt you just get a set of thicker head gaskets.. I think Comet makes some.. then blah blah it..together with the good bits and from what i have read they go pretty good.. :wink:

Yeah, I didn't really look at using them, seems to be a bit of a bandaid type fix instead of decompressing the pistons. Plus I dont know how thick they are but I wonder if there would be intake manifold fitment issues because the heads have moved further apart?

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:12 pm

yea can get thicker ones them too.. like ya said bandaid appoach really.. Do it right first time if you have the funding.. :mrgreen:

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Big wrote:yea can get thicker ones them too.. like ya said bandaid appoach really.. Do it right first time if you have the funding.. :mrgreen:

Funnly enough, thats where things get a bit tricky.......

Decompress the standard pistons = time to machine them + $300 ring set

Buy brand new forged pistons = $1050 nzd delivered (includes rings and pins ect)

Money well spent I reckon, cause i wouldnt be a happy camper if i brought it across the ditch and had it melt a piston cause i wouldnt cough up another $700
( besides ive saved more than that in petrol money while its been off the road :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Madaz wrote:
Big wrote:yea can get thicker ones them too.. like ya said bandaid appoach really.. Do it right first time if you have the funding.. :mrgreen:

Funnly enough, thats where things get a bit tricky.......

Decompress the standard pistons = time to machine them + $300 ring set

Buy brand new forged pistons = $1050 nzd delivered (includes rings and pins ect)

Money well spent I reckon, cause i wouldnt be a happy camper if i brought it across the ditch and had it melt a piston cause i wouldnt cough up another $700
( besides ive saved more than that in petrol money while its been off the road :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

LOL :mrgreen:

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:47 am

This is what can happen when you lend someone a engine.............

Bonus was that the fire went forward of the motor so apart from meling all the wiring at the front and all the plastic, the actual motor itself is ok

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 pm

i see the boat around the motor was completly gone :shock:
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Yep, old hull was toast.
Lucky for him, the jet unit never got touched, the wet manifolds on the motor were ok, and the computer survived. Everything else went up in smoke.
+$20k gone up in smoke.

Hes just finished the replacement..........

This one is insured and has a very comprehensive fire extinguiser system :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Madaz wrote:Yep, old hull was toast.
Lucky for him, the jet unit never got touched, the wet manifolds on the motor were ok, and the computer survived. Everything else went up in smoke.
+$20k gone up in smoke.

This one is insured and has a very comprehensive fire extinguiser system :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And his own engine I assume Tim :wink: :P
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Madaz wrote:Yep, old hull was toast.
+$20k gone up in smoke.

Fcuk yes!!!!!!
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 pm

rokhound wrote:
And his own engine I assume Tim :wink: :P

Yep, I had run out of spare engines, he got lucky and got a minter off trademe, only done 60k for a grand. Runs mint as :D

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Another Trademe sale....................

Some bigger injectors :mrgreen:

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:20 pm

wut size? out of a 7MGTE ? following it with anticipation.. :D

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Big wrote:wut size? out of a 7MGTE ? following it with anticipation.. :D

No not even out of a toyota................
Only discovered these would fit about a month ago, never heard about them on any of the V8/lexus forums.
Its actually pretty funny considering the lengths people go to to get green toyota 315cc injectors.........

The part number for them is 195500-2130

They are 360cc

They are high impedance :D

They have the same plug as a regular 1uz injector :D

And what are they out of?.....................

A Mazda BP1800 GTX Turbo................ So not exactly rare :lol: :lol:

(Best of all their cheep :mrgreen: )

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:50 pm

your answering all my questions without me havint ta ask lol cant wait to see this in action next time you will have to take me for a squirt.

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:02 pm

imsohi wrote:your answering all my questions without me havint ta ask lol cant wait to see this in action next time you will have to take me for a squirt.

Yeah, thats why im posting it up, so much of the info on the net is just bullshit, and I think a lot of it is written by critters that have never even tried half the stuff their talking about.

Atleast if I destroy my new set up in the first 30 seconds you will all know what not to do :?

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:05 pm

:(
Last edited by Madaz on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:24 pm

What boost you meaning on running?

with the injectors,pretty much any of the jap top feed should fit(not including the plug,but then my plugs are brittle and need to be changed...) Im going to be running evo 510cc injectors but need to use a ballast as low impedance. Make sure you get them tested before you use them too if you don't know the history of them.. Got turbo and diesel to test clean and change the inlet filters in mine, cost about $$190 for the 8 to be done.
modified surf, hardly drive it seem to keep modifying it....

shortylux
Hard Yaka

Postby shortylux » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:49 pm

So you have a spare m90?

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 pm

skidmark wrote:What boost you meaning on running?

with the injectors,pretty much any of the jap top feed should fit(not including the plug,but then my plugs are brittle and need to be changed...) Im going to be running evo 510cc injectors but need to use a ballast as low impedance. Make sure you get them tested before you use them too if you don't know the history of them.. Got turbo and diesel to test clean and change the inlet filters in mine, cost about $$190 for the 8 to be done.

Yeah, ill get them cleaned and flowed, didnt want to haft to run ballasts, was a bit pissed to find that the link couldnt run low impedance injectors without them. 360cc may not be enough, but only a dyno run will say for sure.

Will probally start off with the m90 and intercooler, because i want to see how much actual difference i got from the computer change and a tune.

With the 122 i will probally just crank as much boost in as it will allow before it starts heating up the inlet air.

( But i will be dissapointed if its not up in the mid teens)

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:12 pm

shortylux wrote:So you have a spare m90?

probally not.......... think it could be going in a jetboat :mrgreen:

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:40 am

I think you will probably max out the 360cc injectors if your going to be running that sort of boost, speaking to Kevin at car tune he recommended me to go around 440 and Im only planning 10 pound. As its not ideal to be running them at 100per cent duty cycle.

But yea dyno will be the only way to tell for sure..

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:18 am

Yeah, its hard to say, I ran 6lb before on the standard injectors and it had no issues with leaning out at the top end.
We did have to put a rising rate regulator on it though because the factory computer was causing it to go lean in the mid range which was pretty bizzare.
Good up top, good down low, but lean in the middle.

Who are you going to get to tune your truck? I hear that cartune dont have a dyno anymore?

Craigs4wd
Bush Crasher

Postby Craigs4wd » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 am

Hi tim,my v6 motor in my nissan runs 370cc injectors std an 10psi at , ive cranked boost to now 16psi at 300plus hp. an talking to the guys on getting hps out of engines the general rule is they said you should have they slimier injector cc to hp you want. eg i able to get 370hp from mine fine.
im impressed with your build. you'll have to now take me for a spin now you've been in mine :)

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:20 am

To start with i will prob give it a go myself just to get it going with somewhat of a base tune, but from there I haven't decided.
Yea your right car tune doesn't have a dyno anymore as they used to rent it but the owner sold it....

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:14 pm

Craigs4wd wrote:Hi tim,my v6 motor in my nissan runs 370cc injectors std an 10psi at , ive cranked boost to now 16psi at 300plus hp. an talking to the guys on getting hps out of engines the general rule is they said you should have they slimier injector cc to hp you want. eg i able to get 370hp from mine fine.
im impressed with your build. you'll have to now take me for a spin now you've been in mine :)

Yeah, sweet as, ill take you for a thrash when i bring it down. Or when you come back up here.
Its a different truck with the back cut off, seems a bit light on the back now, so i hope it still climbs like it used to.

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 pm

skidmark wrote:To start with i will prob give it a go myself just to get it going with somewhat of a base tune, but from there I haven't decided.
Yea your right car tune doesn't have a dyno anymore as they used to rent it but the owner sold it....

If I can find a decent tuner ill let you know :mrgreen:

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:15 pm

imsohi wrote:your answering all my questions without me havint ta ask lol cant wait to see this in action next time you will have to take me for a squirt.

Yip this is invaluable info.. and grea to see we have a ginea pig.. :mrgreen: But yea heard it's best to have injectors suited to the hp your goin to run.. the 122 should be sweet and a noticable improvement over the 90 and will still have the legs to go for more.. From memory on research i did, they are really good for 20+ psi if tuned right and only run around the 60-80% efficency.. so its not running hot.. also keep intercooler on.. it'll help no end.. Watching :wink:

Madaz
Hard Yaka

Postby Madaz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:44 pm

The suffering in the shed continues...................

No room, steering shafts in the way, ect, ect, ect.................
Equal length runners went out the door about 2seconds after starting to make them, at least they should move a bit more air than the factory jobbies

skidmark
Hard Yaka

Postby skidmark » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:43 pm

were did you buy the flanges from? or did you have someone cut them? also how much if you can share..thanks Alistair

Return to “Projects / Mod's”