The big chop part 3

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

The big chop part 3

Postby Rangerat » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:07 pm

I dropped the fuel tank out one night after work. There is a union that you have to remove on the L/H side (fuel line) to allow the tank to drop out the bottom. (I found this out after I had removed all the bolts!)
Some thought and fiddling will be involved in repositioning the tank, as the original filler sits to high for my deck line.

Weekend 3
Measured up and cut the required amount off the chassis. I chopped just to the rear of the tow bar mounting plates (My Rangie has a different tow bar mount than the factory plough)
At the same time I whipped the exhaust pipe down to size. (Just love cut-off disc's)

<center>
[url=http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/modules.php?set_albumName=album05&id=Chassis_chop&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php]
[/url]
</center>

Fuel tank repositioning.
After a bit of head scratching I came up with a simple (and easy) way to mount the fuel tank.
By using the original tank skid plate and bolting it to some new brackets it was a simple matter of then just bolting the tank to the original positions on the skid plate.
<center>
[url=http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/modules.php?set_albumName=album05&id=Chassis_and_brackets_for_fuel_tank&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php]
[/url]
</center>

This will also provide more protection for the tank.
Positioning the filler will be tackled when I build the deck.

<center>
[url=http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/modules.php?set_albumName=album05&id=Fuel_tank_in_position&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php]
[/url]
</center>

Well a short story today, other jobs around the house need doing!
Hints and Tips
Think simple and easy.

Click images for Bigger photos or go <a href="modules.php?set_albumName=album05&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php">here</a>

Rangerat.

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:00 am

Rat - I am lovin this!!! :mrgreen:

Been itchin to chop the Bodgerover for ages - well since I saw all the aussie ones....

Keep it comin - i am interested to see the next stage - you have done the choppin which is the easy bit :mrgreen: now for the puttin back together...

love yer work
Bodge

Rangerat
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangerat » Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:19 pm

Hey Bodge

It was the picture of the Silver trayback in your website that started this so if it all go's wrong I'll blame you HA HA! (great website)
As for the Patrol winch, well that got hard in a hurry I'll just get a 12V. I'd like hyd but I hate the thought of spending about 1/2 of what the Rangie's worth on it!

Putting it all together starts this weekend so watch this space.

Rat

Bodge
Hard Yaka

Postby Bodge » Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:13 pm

Yeah I wasn't going to pop your bubble because for competition 24V is the way to go.... more grunt for less amps - but it is expensive to set up... If you are just going to use it for recreation trips then it wouldn't be worth the cost.

The other thing is that a couple of people have bought ol' winches of Japanese imports only to find they have never been used let alone serviced and they basically need to be rebuilt so it can be a false saving.... having said that there are a few success stories as well - aye LOWBOX? :mrgreen:

Is your rangie running the standard LT95 4 speed? There are some other winch options worth considering if its not....

Looking forward to the build up phase - get back in the shed :D

PS. got more trayback photos if you want em...

The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.http://home.off-road.com/~bodgerover/

Return to “Projects / Mod's”