wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:53 am

Last edited by wopass on Wed May 18, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:48 pm

Haha, remember you've only got four weeks up your sleeve!!!

wopass
Hard Yaka

yeap.

Postby wopass » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:27 pm

i will have a cranky missuz and new baby to deal with as well..... :cry:
wonder if ill have it done by then.......... :roll:
i hope im allowed to go....... :?:
should be kool....... :wink:

wopass
Hard Yaka

todays update.

Postby wopass » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:04 pm

steering column out,steering box off,drag link off,managed to find enough wires to hotwire it so i could give it a rev :twisted: ,, feel better now.

i think i may have a headache when it comes time to re-wire the beast....ahh well. i have a test light... :wink:

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:29 pm

Hehe!!!!!
Test light because it would take you hours and hours to scrape of the last 20 yrs worth of mud encrusted on the colour coding off the wires :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
I hope it all keeps going as straight forward as this for ya!!!!

wopass
Hard Yaka

hahaha

Postby wopass » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:30 pm

more like 35 years of mun and grime. should be ok tho,, most of the nest is wiring ive put in, :? hell of a mess.i will be making it a lot better when i put it back together :wink: ,hopefuly be only one loom going to the front instead of 30 individual wires :roll: ,,looks horrid. better go get into it,, might start the re-wire now,, get a head start on it. :twisted:

wopass
Hard Yaka

ive really done it now.....

Postby wopass » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:09 pm

ive just been in the garage,looking at the front end(brakes) and decided that i should get started on the disk brake caonversion as well :shock: .
i now have one side of the cruiser ready for re-build with disk brake parts,will probly have the other side ready by the end of the day :roll: ,im just thinking now that maybe i should have done one thing at a time but,,,too late now :twisted: ,,, wonder when ill get some parts to do my disk conversion,, :lol: ... hope i get the bits before i forget how to put it all back together :lol: .
she'll be right,, i have a test light :roll:

MY GOD,, WHAT HAVE I DONE !.. i had a perfectly usable 4x4 last week,, now i have a major job on my hands and no parts yet,, :lol: :lol: :lol: ..

hahha,,, im going to be busy this month :roll:

wopass
Hard Yaka

progress

Postby wopass » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:25 pm

Last edited by wopass on Wed May 18, 2011 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:08 pm

Good to see ya keeping the ball rolling!!!!
Looks very tidy in the photo!!!!!

wopass
Hard Yaka

tidy

Postby wopass » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:44 am

yea its not in too bad a shape considiring it has all original panels still,bit of poo in places but it is 35 years old,, and it has seen a bit of action.i may have rolled it a couple of times,, and i may have hit a few banks/trees,, but thats just speculation,,,, :wink:

having a bit of fun trying to find a steering arm that is going to suit my needs( i dont really want to cut,weld,bend)for the steering box,, found out last night that after a quick measure and test fit,, my old manual box,35 years old, has the same size,taper and spline as the new smurf pwr steer box ! how cool is that,, still wont do the job tho.
i need to find an arm that is basicly streight, both the cruiser and the surf have big dog legs in them, does anyone know if any of the toyota boxes have a streight arm on them???.
i will be mounting the pump this weekend hopefully,, as long as im not stuk at work, so some more progress should be cool,, might have the whole lot done in time to go for a trail burst to make sure its not going to blow up when i jump on the brakes and turn a corner :?

wopass
Hard Yaka

progess

Postby wopass » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:10 am

no progress for 2 weeks now. still trying to jack up a time to go into the bad lands(murapara)to get my parts that i REALLY need. might just bite the bullet and make a trip there,,, hopefully they arnt gunslingers :shock:
have an arm that is going to do the job for me.... well there is a bit of progress,but not much.
waiting on the machinist at work to make my fairlead rollers,, might just end up skimming the old ones and put them back on for now. 8)

spending all week up at the hospital has put a big stall on the work,but it will be worth it.im heading up there soon to pick up the missuz and baby to bring them home,, sweeet. :P
not a lot more work to get everything finished but,, will take a while i think,, i doubt ill be able to go for an easter run thats for sure :cry: ahhh well. plenty of time to go bashing round in the bush when its finished.

wopass
Hard Yaka

let down

Postby wopass » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:49 am

:evil: Dont you hate it when you get shafted and you cant do anything about it.................. :evil:

Murapara growers have given my brake parts to someone else. so much for having a deal with someone........ :shock: wish he'd used lube before shafting me,,,,, ouch... :cry:

so,, anyone have any beam axle front end hilux brake parts,,, ???. :?

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:17 am

You still looking for hilux axle ?? I've got a spare front end from an 82 hilux

Cheers Reece
Cheers Reece
De Ranged Engineering
027 541 8794

wopass
Hard Yaka

spares

Postby wopass » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:56 am

:shock: you have a spare :shock:

i could be keen for that mate

give me a holler on 027 2705895.

cheers
wopass

wopass
Hard Yaka

yea

Postby wopass » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:25 pm

i cant find any definitave information as to wether the '82' lux gear will fit or not,, i guess it would. i will just have to get the IFS rotors and callipers for the vented disks,

anyone help with info here on if they will fit??

i would think so.... :?

wopass
Hard Yaka

sweet

Postby wopass » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:54 am

found a web site with the info i needed
quote from there

Here is a detailed list of what parts you will need from a 1979-85 Toyota 4x4 Mini-Truck: (hilux in american is mini truck)

so i would like to take you up on the 82 gear mate :D ..... you know,, just to help you clear some room in your shed.....
:wink:

wopass
Hard Yaka

progress

Postby wopass » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:56 am

well i made some progress yesterday, finally managed to get into the 4x4 wrecker on friday arvo and scored a pump bracket off a surf.

took me about 3hrs to shape with my hacksaw and file ( i really need to invest in a grinder ! ) but now its on :D .

so now all i have to do is get the steering linkages sorted out and im done....... yea right.

:D TUI... doing 4x4 mods since 1956,, :D

well im off back to the garage before i have to do the dishes.......
Last edited by wopass on Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:45 pm

All you need for vented rotors on a Hilux front end (which is efectively what you will have) is some disc rotors from a late model 40, or any 60-series cruiser, or a late model hilux beam axle - I can sell you brand new Lucas ones for about $99 each.

The calipers can be used from any model of Surf or late Hilux, and will bolt directly on.

You can't use the Surf rotors without a big spacer and seal modifications as they have a totally different backspacing from the hub. They are also smaller so the brake pads run off the outside of the rotor. There is a mod you can do to fit the IFS stubs to the hilux axle to give you an extra 35mm spacing on each side, but its not recommended for anything other than offroad use because of the non-contact area of the brake pads.

Steve

wopass
Hard Yaka

ahh haa

Postby wopass » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:02 pm

ahh ok, so no surf rotors. gotcha,
cheers for the heads up mate.
still tryin to find the bits i need for a good price,keeping an eye on trade me and the trade and exchange but no joy yet. . . . .

just out of intrest,what would it be worth to get the gear off you mate,if you were to sell the bits i need,as you probably have exactly what i need sitting on a shelf somwhere???

wopass
Hard Yaka

ok

Postby wopass » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:08 pm

quick question, can i use surf callipers on my beam axel rotors that i have bought or do i have to get late model beam axel callipers ? :? from previous post it sounds like i can but want to confirm.

brand new DB 151 beam axel rotors from a mate in the biz $40 each inc...
i love having mates in the parts dept,,hehhehe joy joy happy happy...

progress report pt 1,

powersteer box mounted,pump mounted,extra pully welded to the water pump pully and alligned to pwr steer pump pully,belt not on yet need a longer one than i guessed at,steering drag link nearly sorted just need the rest of the hilux parts to get precise measurements for cuting and threading and welding, still need some powersteer pipes to hook up the pump to box,still have to sort out the collumn to box shaft(not a biggy),tyres and rims and tubes ordered and will be in the garage this week :D :D :D

:twisted: and i have bought a grinder so look out any steel that gets in my way :twisted:

SupraLux
Complete Bastard

Postby SupraLux » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:24 am

The Surf calipers will work perfectly on the DBA151 rotors... either early or late models calipers are fine - the only difference between the early and lates are that the late ones had 4 big pots & heat dissapation fins... they work better under constant hard braking - the earlier ones were just a 'wide' version of the original solid rotor calipers - 2 big pots and 2 small ones...

Keep us posted :) Sounds like you're having fun... I remember my first grinder... ahh... such fond memories :)

Steve

wopass
Hard Yaka

sweet

Postby wopass » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:55 am

excelent.
cheers man, ive had the cheap shitter ( $50 warehouse job with disks and a case :D )workin hard, and it hasnt blown yet so all good :D .will see how long it lasts.

smurf callipers here i come,
going to bring my nice new rotors into work and get some slots machined into them for mud wiping/better braking abillity tomorrow, have to talk nice to the machine shop, see if i can use the mill :wink:

wopass
Hard Yaka

progress

Postby wopass » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:48 pm

well had some good progress over the last week or so, only a couple of jobs to finish off and im good to go.

new pic
Last edited by wopass on Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wopass
Hard Yaka

nearly there

Postby wopass » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:38 am

well, every thing has come to a head, all i have to do now is steering arm mod,draglink mod,and fit the tyres to the rims(hopefully get that done this weekend) quick tapemeasure wheel allignment,finish the fairlead for the winch and im good to go.

had an interesting hicup with the electrics last weekend, finished re-wireing the beast and hooked up the battery to do some testing of circuits,and HELLO :shock: ! ! ignition barrel fell apart when i turned the key ! :shock:

:evil: bloody F@#K$%# mother %@#%^#$#* piece of &^$#@*%($** :evil:
ooohhh i was mad,, rip down to see my mate at APPCO, new ignition,back home hook it up turn it on and HELLO ! ! :shock: everything works ! ! :shock: ,,, yea im surprised to... :wink: must have known what i was doin 8) ...YEA RIGHT :wink:

will be planning a test trip either up thompsons or over the stadia for a test run if anyone is interested in comming, will be probably 2-3 weeks away depending on how the finishing work goes,as soon as i have it completed i will be posting a date to go(after i have cleared it with the BOSS.....) do some testing of strength and reliability of my work,hope nothing breaks :wink: touch wood.

wopass
Hard Yaka

more progress

Postby wopass » Thu May 05, 2005 11:56 am

More progress has been made.
have now got, tyres on rims,
steering damper bracket made(fit it tonight).
steering link end in the machine shop here at work getting done.
drag link rod here in the workshop being made from heavy wall steam pipe(not gonna break that shit in a hurry)with 100 series cruiser tie rod ends which are much bigger and stronger.

so now all i have to do is get the drag link ends spun up in the lathe,set the allignment up to get length of steering link rod,cut and tap the thread on that and im done, sounds tooo easy..... :shock: wonder what ive missed........ :shock:

wopass
Hard Yaka

ok

Postby wopass » Mon May 09, 2005 2:54 pm

ok, so here we are at the buisness end of the project.

new drag link ( heavy wall pipe ) being threaded to accomadate 100 series tie rods as i type, steering link to follow soon after today. put new links on probably mid week after paint has dried,quick tapemeasure wheel allignment on the stands, drop it onto the small wheels for extraction from the garage, put on back lawn ( the missuz will complain, toooo bad ) jack it up again to put big wheels on. out to a mates farm this weekend ( assuming i get the links done of course ) to do a bit of strength testing to see if anything will break right away.

then assuming its ok, thompsons track next weekend to REALLY test the shit of it.... hope nothing breaks there either :roll:

if anyone is interested in comming ( assuming its a go and im not fixing the breakages :wink: ) i will be posting early next week as to which day i will be going. there will probably be a couple of mates on dirt bikes to run recon and whoever else i can muster up. the more the merry'er
will just be a fun mud bash, nothing toooooo serious :wink: ...... well maybe a bit serious, depends on the day :twisted:

wopass
Hard Yaka

ok

Postby wopass » Fri May 13, 2005 12:37 pm

finished in the garage... extract tonight to back lawn to put big wheels on then out to raglan on sunday to test,,,,cant wait.

and

more to follow after tonight and then more on sunday night,,,if its all in one piece :shock:
Last edited by wopass on Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wopass
Hard Yaka

SWEEET

Postby wopass » Fri May 13, 2005 6:55 pm

well, it made it to the back lawn without breaking anything ,so thats a good start :D

got in trouble for making a mess of the back lawn but i was ready for that :D

i will take some on sunday when it is buried up to the neak in crapp :twisted: .... finaly get some action shots in the mix,, wooo hoooo... :D
Last edited by wopass on Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Fri May 13, 2005 7:25 pm

Hmm, me thinks those back gaurds will be getting the angle grinder treatment soon!!!!!!

Looking forward to hearing how it goes, only a couple of monthd behind schedual!!!!!
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

wopass
Hard Yaka

hmmm

Postby wopass » Fri May 13, 2005 9:34 pm

yea i will be checking the full articulation on sunday to see if/how much i will have to prune the back gaurds. the bump stop clearance compared to the tyre to gaurd clearance is about the same so might be ok.....yea right,like i'd be that lucky :? will find out on sunday hehhehe.
as for the schedule , yea well, we all know what happens to best laid plans :wink:

let ya all know

Return to “Projects / Mod's”